Average Ball Joint and Hub Life Span? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 11-18-2019, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Average Ball Joint and Hub Life Span?

So I have a 2013 F-250 4x4 with 125k miles on it. It has original hubs and ball joints on it. What can I expect for life span of both of these parts? The truck has had 35” tires on it since around 50k miles and have never had issues until recently when I got an alignment and everything seemed fine...until I looked at my truck from the front and realized the right front tire is leaning heavily inward from the top. The camber seems to be quite off.

Upon doing some research I have learned that camber is apparently not easy to have that far off unless the ball joints are bad. Is there any truth to that?

I should also mention that this started when I had an alignment done after putting a Carli kit with radius arms and 37x12.50r20 tires on as well.

Any help would be appreciated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-18-2019, 10:17 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1634 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMassar View Post
So I have a 2013 F-250 4x4 with 125k miles on it. It has original hubs and ball joints on it. What can I expect for life span of both of these parts? The truck has had 35 tires on it since around 50k miles and have never had issues until recently when I got an alignment and everything seemed fine...until I looked at my truck from the front and realized the right front tire is leaning heavily inward from the top. The camber seems to be quite off.

Upon doing some research I have learned that camber is apparently not easy to have that far off unless the ball joints are bad. Is there any truth to that?

I should also mention that this started when I had an alignment done after putting a Carli kit with radius arms and 37x12.50r20 tires on as well.

Any help would be appreciated.

How recent was the work and can you go back and have the shop look at it/adjust if you trust them?

kind of hard to give an arbitrary number. some last 20k, some last 200k no lies. Depends on luck and use of the truck. My 1999 has 152k miles and the previous owner did them sometime ago before 2016 but no clue when and they are still going fine. and some buddies have 200k plus on oem and they aren't having issues. I would go back to the shop that did the work if they are reputable and have them correct/diagnose the issue. If you got time you can do them yourself and get an alignment too. Just need the space and quality tools.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Its like me getting five 5 gallon bucks and throwing regular, mid, premium, #2 diesel and offroad diesel and then shooting a roman candle at each one to show which ones burns better."
post #3 of 7 Old 11-18-2019, 06:27 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 706 Post(s)
Justin is right, there's a big difference in how long they last. I think it mostly depends upon what you're doing with it and tire size. Bigger tires and deep rims eat ball joints, so do snow plows. I have a friend who owns a repair shop. He tells me that 40,000-60,000 is about average, however, he has seen them bad in 20,000 and also last 100,000+.

With 125K on it, I think it's probably due for new joints. If you don't it'll eat your tires in short order. I usually replace everything when I do a front end. (tie rod ends, drag link and shocks) They drive like new and don't wander around.

2019 Raptor
2001 F250 Platinum Edition, 7.3, Automatic, Superchips tuner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-18-2019, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the replies. I will be going to the alignment shop on Wednesday morning when I get off shift. It sounds like getting 125k miles on my original ball joints is pretty good so If that’s the case, I’m happy.

If it is ball joints after all and the alignment shop can’t fix it, does anybody have experience with Dynatrac ball joints?

post #5 of 7 Old 11-20-2019, 08:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I've been running the Dynatrac's for 5+ years on my 01, zero issues so far. Spent about 2 years on 35's W/ 20X9's & the rest has been on 37's with 20X12's.
Definitely a good product.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-20-2019, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
That’s great to hear about the Dynatrac ball joints. Will most likely use them when mine go out. This issue ended up being worn out tie rods. Got those replaced and went back for an alignment fix and were good to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fall Guy View Post
I've been running the Dynatrac's for 5+ years on my 01, zero issues so far. Spent about 2 years on 35's W/ 20X9's & the rest has been on 37's with 20X12's.
Definitely a good product.

post #7 of 7 Old 12-06-2019, 06:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks for the info I'm about to jump into the front end of my excursion. I hear Moog sucks these days.

Semper Fi

Daddy's truck- '02 F250/7.3/6spd/4x4/6"lift/35's/Procomp traction bars/K&N intake/4" Banks turbo-back/aftermarket turbo/Hydra
Momma's truck- 01 Excursion/7.3/Auto/4x4/AFE stg 2 intake/walker Big Truck Muffler/BD Thruster II turbo/ TS6 /295x70's/F350 springs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode