Power Steering Noise after serpentine belt change - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By SuperCrutyPS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 11-14-2019, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Power Steering Noise after serpentine belt change

The belt tensioner on my 2008 F250 6.4L broke and mostly shredded my serpentine belt. I heard the noise on start up and quickly shut the truck off. I could see parts of the belt were wrapped around a bunch of the pulleys. I was about 5 miles from home so had a buddy chain up and drag me home (never gonna hear the end of it, he drives a dodge). I left the truck off and strong arm steered and braked the whole way.

In the shop, I removed the old belt, replaced the tensioner, and removed the alternator and its pulley, it had the worst amount of old belt wrapped around it and wouldn't spin freely. I put everything back together and everything ran great for about 10 min. After the truck was warm on the test drive, I started to hear a groaning/whining and feel a vibration when turning the steering wheel and pressing the brake pedal. My reading tells me the power steering pump works with the brake system as a booster, so I am assuming its the power steering pump.

Any thoughts on where to start? These are my questions and confusions:
>Why would it only start to have problems once the truck is warm?
>It also seems like the new belt tensioner is bouncing a lot, I never noticed much movement with the old one, but also never paid much attention to it. How much should the belt tensioner be moving? Is the new tensioner bad so the pump isn't getting enough power, or maybe another stuck pulley so the belt is slipping?
>Did I mess up by towing the truck w/o the engine on and break something?

Any advise would be appreciated. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-14-2019, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I think I'd start by going back under the hood to make sure there isn't any belt fragments "hiding." I shredded a couple of belts on my '01 BEFORE I figured out it was the tensioner. I found belt pieces in places I didn't think were there to get belt pieces.
jokester00 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Darryl | Owner/Operator
Truck | 2001 F350 7.3L CCLB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

5th Wheel |

Proud US Navy Veteran | '76-'80 - Petty Officer 2nd Class (E5) - U.S.S. Point Defiance (LSD-31) - 'Gator Navy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode