.005" play in Ball Joints, when do you replace? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

4Likes
  • 1 Post By Hydro
  • 3 Post By Jjorgis5569

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 09-21-2019, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
.005" play in Ball Joints, when do you replace?

Hi all.

I have an F350 that I took for an alignment a while ago, the tech said the ball joint were loose and he could replace them for $xxx

I removed the hubs and put an indicator on the ball joints. All ball joints show .005" side play and .005" vertical movement, exactly the same both sides.

The Ford specs are I believe .024" upper ball joint play, and .04" lower ball joint play.

My assumption is there ok and I was being told something by the tech that wasn't true, or incorrect.

I'm assuming that with that little play I will not have a problem getting it aligned (at a different shop)

Any thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-21-2019, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Forgot to add.

The truck steers ok, no death wobble, but does wander a bit, like most F250/350's I've driven.

It has a Red Head steering box that improved the steering, as the old steering box was thrashed.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-21-2019, 06:47 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Garage
I would drive on even a new joint will have some play until the weight of the vehicle is on them

Curious how you were measuring the slack -- since they are a ball and socket the only worry would be elongation of the socket or wear on the ball, allowing the joint to "slip" side to side when loaded
triumph406 likes this.

In my defense, I was unsupervised
2006 F250 Lariat FX4 cclb
Torque Pro and OBDLink MX bluetooth monitor
General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hydro For This Useful Post:
triumph406 (09-22-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 09-21-2019, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro View Post
I would drive on even a new joint will have some play until the weight of the vehicle is on them

Curious how you were measuring the slack -- since they are a ball and socket the only worry would be elongation of the socket or wear on the ball, allowing the joint to "slip" side to side when loaded
I measure with a dial indicator mounted onto the flange the caliper mounts to, and the indicator needle touching the nut of the ball joint.

Then with a bar clamped vertically to the flange the hub mounts too, push and pull on the bar to get the reading. As far as I can tell that's the Ford method of measuring play. The .024"/.040" values are for side to side play with the wheels off the ground.

The vertical play was measured again with an indicator, and a crowbar underneath the vertical bar to raise the carrier.

My inclination is too ignore the play as it's minimal and drive on.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-22-2019, 03:07 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
.005 is nothing, and still well within limits. Like @Hydro said, even a new joint will have a bit of play. Just as a reference, most pitch control link bearings (rods from swashplate to rotor head-controls blade pitch angle) have a limit of .020. Most pilots would start to feel a vibration at about .015 when flying. Kudos to you though for actually taking the effort to measure with a dial indicator.
HeavyAssault, triumph406 and Hydro like this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jjorgis5569 For This Useful Post:
triumph406 (09-22-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode