Best way to improve the suspension on 2019 F 450 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 09-11-2019, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Best way to improve the suspension on 2019 F 450

I bought a 2019 F450 King Ranch and I absolutely love this truck. My only complaint is the harsh ride. I believe I also have the camper package which may have given me even beefier springs and leafs. What is the best solution to getting a softer smoother ride out of this 450? Would some sort of air suspension take care of the problem? Or should I opt for softer front springs and maybe even softer leafs in the rear. I really don’t see how you could soften a ride without going with different leaf springs in the rear. If there’s a better solution out there I certainly would love to know what it is. Money is not an issue ...whatever it takes . I’m also not worried about sacrificing payload to achieve a smoother ride. I would appreciate any input someone who has a good knowledge of suspensions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-11-2019, 04:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Garage
Put 2000 pounds in the bed and it will ride even better than it does. My 450 rides pretty good empty to be honest, especially for a HD truck. You could try a Kelderman setup they have full air ride without sacrificing towing. Another option would be a full air ride seat.

03 250 ccsb blue spring, UCF ported and polished heads, Odawg SR3, ficm tuner, SCT x4 with custom tunes, 4" turbo back to 6" tip, Magtec diff covers, Amsoil fluids, ARP 625's, Airlift bags, Kc stage 1, Dieselsite hpop, Vision Hauler 19.5's, No Limit intake, full on board air with 8.5 gallon tank, train horns, Sinister degas, DieselSite water pump, Big Wig rear sway bar, 7.3 clutch fan, BPD adapter

Wife's new ride 2019 F450 Lariet Ultimate CCLB 4x4
post #3 of 13 Old 09-11-2019, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

At first I thought you were kidding but I’m guessing that you probably aren’t. I know adding 2000 pounds will definitely make it ride better. Not the solution I’m looking for. Neither is one air ride seat. I want everyone in the truck to be comfortable. This is the new family 4 door vehicle LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 09-12-2019, 03:37 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRanchDude2019 View Post
..... Money is not an issue ...whatever it takes . Im also not worried about sacrificing payload to achieve a smoother ride...
If payload or money is not an issue perhaps a smaller 150 or even a 250 would be better for your family.... the 450 is an MDT and is designed for the heavy haul, even with lots of weight it's going to be harsher than you may like.. you can lower the psi in the tires a bit if your not hauling weight...but by putting some weight in it that will compress the springs a bit and soften up the rebound...also you can look at adjustable shocks like fox that will help on compression ... bottom line the 450 is a work truck and it rides like one especially when empty
R&Rpowerstroke likes this.

2014 F450 PLATINUM - 6.7 stock. Tow package, FX4 package, Weather Tec matts, Factory seat covers, Roll n Lock bed cover, sprayed on bed liner, Fox 2.0 I.F.P. adjustable shocks & steering stabilizer, S&B silicone body mounts, Titan 65 gallon XXL replacement tank.....more to come
post #5 of 13 Old 09-12-2019, 04:08 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRanchDude2019 View Post
At first I thought you were kidding but I’m guessing that you probably aren’t. I know adding 2000 pounds will definitely make it ride better. Not the solution I’m looking for. Neither is one air ride seat. I want everyone in the truck to be comfortable. This is the new family 4 door vehicle LOL
Haha kidding but not kidding to be honest, yes our 450 is also my wife's daily. If you want the absolute best most comfortable suspension air ride seems like the only option without sacrificing towing payload. All HD trucks have a harsh ride empty from 450 up to the Semis, Bucket, Digger, Cranes, and all other HD trucks I drive. How often do you tow? As stated above you could perhaps air down your tires some and see if it helps. I have 19.5's on my 250 and run them at 50 psi when empty and it helps tremendously. Want to say we are 90psi in the rear and 80psi on the front from the factory, but I may be way off. But regardless airing down a bit while empty may be worth a shot.

03 250 ccsb blue spring, UCF ported and polished heads, Odawg SR3, ficm tuner, SCT x4 with custom tunes, 4" turbo back to 6" tip, Magtec diff covers, Amsoil fluids, ARP 625's, Airlift bags, Kc stage 1, Dieselsite hpop, Vision Hauler 19.5's, No Limit intake, full on board air with 8.5 gallon tank, train horns, Sinister degas, DieselSite water pump, Big Wig rear sway bar, 7.3 clutch fan, BPD adapter

Wife's new ride 2019 F450 Lariet Ultimate CCLB 4x4
post #6 of 13 Old 09-12-2019, 04:27 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
For what its worth, my frame of reference and what I was taught concerning duty rating...
Light Duty Truck = 150, 250, 350 - LDT
Medium Duty Truck = 450, 550, 650 - MDT
Heavy Duty Truck = 750, 850 - HDT

But that's just me your mileage may vary
R&Rpowerstroke likes this.

2014 F450 PLATINUM - 6.7 stock. Tow package, FX4 package, Weather Tec matts, Factory seat covers, Roll n Lock bed cover, sprayed on bed liner, Fox 2.0 I.F.P. adjustable shocks & steering stabilizer, S&B silicone body mounts, Titan 65 gallon XXL replacement tank.....more to come
post #7 of 13 Old 09-12-2019, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks guys. I appreciate the input. When I said money was no issue I was only referring to suspension parts ! not another truck! Wife would not understand... have a great day and thanks again.
post #8 of 13 Old 09-12-2019, 12:33 PM
N.S.D.Q.

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
@jetjock15 : Show the man what's up.....

Officially The Biggest Midget In The Game

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 13 Old 09-14-2019, 06:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liquidspring but the tanks would have to be customized to fit a pickup. It is the best engineered 4 link system. The tanks and oil make it heavy.

https://liquidspring.com/ems-ambulance-suspensions/

Reyco Granning is another option.

https://reycogranning.com/suspensions/model-rd975f8/

Kelderman is a direct fit but if there is high use or heavy loads be prepared to do allot of maintenance.

Another option is to knock out a couple of the the leafs from the springs and add Airlift.

Both Kelderman and Airlift would provide a much better ride if sleeve type bags were used.

The article below is marketing fluff because Reyco Granning and Class 8 trucks use sleeve type.

https://www.airliftcompany.com/works...eeve-air-bags/

-2016 KR, SRW, 4x4, FX4, Bronze Fire w/Caribou
-2015 Outdoors 270DBHS - 9000GVW
-1995 7.3 4x4 EC 108,000m, injectors&harness,
3"dp, cam sensor, fuel bowl heater,ebpv delete, edge
tuner, ....what will go next?
-1990 F250 RC 6.9 manual 4x4 65,000m stock
post #10 of 13 Old 09-14-2019, 11:07 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Do some research on a Ford parts website and look up springs and compare the part numbers. I have also considered this. My truck has maximum front and rear springs. I was going to do some checking and either order springs in the lightest rating for my year or hit a few salvage yards.

Tom

2014 XLT Premium CC Dually 2WD, Remote Start Added, Diesel Site Dual Filters, Rudy's Cold Air Pipe, Infotainment Radio Swap + Rear Camera Added

2002 XLT CC Dually 2WD, 6 Spd, True Workhorse that kept going.

1999 F250 Lariat CC LB SRW 2 WD, Automatic. Just didn't perform towing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode