Carli help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 07-24-2019, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Carli help

Hey guys,

I'll be picking up a carli 4.5 setup here in the coming months. Working with a budget right now as well so I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I am either going to get the 4.5 commuter with the full progressive springs for the rear or I'll just be picking up a pintop system.

I wanted to know which setup you would go with an why. I don't do any high speed off roading. If anything its crawling through some muddy areas to get to the hunting cabin etc.

I know the pintop is the best and will give me the best ride but I can't do that with the full progressive springs in the rear. Eventually I would like the full setup with air bags but its going to have to be a building game from here so where would you start?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 07-25-2019, 03:13 PM
N.S.D.Q.

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Several thoughts in my mind:
1) Springs will last longer than shocks over the same driven amount miles.
2) Some people report shocks needing rebuilds at 50k or so...just food for thought. What is their warranty for the shocks?? How much is a rebuild?

3) Buying better shocks on OEM rear springs now may give you the better ride with a small load in the bed versus an unloaded truck with the full spring pack.....maybe....maybe not. Do you need the OEM load capacity?

4) Hey...it's only money....spend once, cry once.

What size tires/wheels are you going to use???

Officially The Biggest Midget In The Game

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 21 Old 07-25-2019, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

I plan on running 38's on 18's with the 4.5 lift
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 07-26-2019, 02:23 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I'd buy the rear spring pack as an upgrade later on. The tire/wheel setup will give you TONS of ride quality with the pintop shocks.

Officially The Biggest Midget In The Game

post #5 of 21 Old 08-01-2019, 02:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Willy View Post
Hey guys,

I'll be picking up a carli 4.5 setup here in the coming months. Working with a budget right now as well so I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I am either going to get the 4.5 commuter with the full progressive springs for the rear or I'll just be picking up a pintop system.

I wanted to know which setup you would go with an why. I don't do any high speed off roading. If anything its crawling through some muddy areas to get to the hunting cabin etc.

I know the pintop is the best and will give me the best ride but I can't do that with the full progressive springs in the rear. Eventually I would like the full setup with air bags but its going to have to be a building game from here so where would you start?
I don't recommend the full leaves with the Commuter shocks as they were tuned for the add a packs specifically. When combined with the softer Deavers the truck can be a bit too soft and bouncy in the rear. I have customers that go that route sometimes if they plan to upgrade shocks in the near future but not too long as the rear Commuter shocks will get overwhelmed pretty quick.

Adding the Full Leaves down the road can also get costly due to the added shipping costs (we ship the leafs for free when purchased with the kit) and the extra work of doing the rear twice.

Based on your planned use you will probably be fine with the Backcountry Kit and full leafs. The Backcountry rides a bit better than the Pintop on pavement but can still handle some washboard dirt road driving with ease.
Fast Willy and Heavy_GD like this.

Carli Suspension | Pure Performance Suspension | Bilstein Shocks | Fox Shocks
Dynatrac | Flo Pro Exhaust| aFe Power | S&B | SOTA | Fuel | Air Dog | Amp Research
Trailready Wheels | Spicer | ARP | REV-X | RIGID Industries | KD Fabworks | Baja Designs

888-886-2480
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skyd Ram For This Useful Post:
Heavy_GD (08-05-2019)
post #6 of 21 Old 08-01-2019, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyd Ram View Post
I don't recommend the full leaves with the Commuter shocks as they were tuned for the add a packs specifically. When combined with the softer Deavers the truck can be a bit too soft and bouncy in the rear. I have customers that go that route sometimes if they plan to upgrade shocks in the near future but not too long as the rear Commuter shocks will get overwhelmed pretty quick.

Adding the Full Leaves down the road can also get costly due to the added shipping costs (we ship the leafs for free when purchased with the kit) and the extra work of doing the rear twice.

Based on your planned use you will probably be fine with the Backcountry Kit and full leafs. The Backcountry rides a bit better than the Pintop on pavement but can still handle some washboard dirt road driving with ease.
I greatly appreciate this advice and most likely take it. Just curious what makes you say that the backcountry handles better on road than the pintop?
post #7 of 21 Old 08-02-2019, 06:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
I greatly appreciate this advice and most likely take it. Just curious what makes you say that the backcountry handles better on road than the pintop?
It's all in the intended tuning of the shocks. The Backountry shocks are tuned with an emphasis on comfort for the street while being able to handle some moderate off road use. The Pintop's are tuned with more bottom out control on rough roads and you tend to give a up little small bump comfort with that. I have a 4.5 Pintop on my 17 and it rides darn good on the street but the 40's on 17's play a good role in that as well. Where it shines is on washboard and heavilly potholed roads at 50+mph.
Heavy_GD likes this.

Dynatrac | Flo Pro Exhaust| aFe Power | S&B | SOTA | Fuel | Air Dog | Amp Research
Trailready Wheels | Spicer | ARP | REV-X | RIGID Industries | KD Fabworks | Baja Designs

888-886-2480
post #8 of 21 Old 08-05-2019, 05:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
It's all in the intended tuning of the shocks. The Backountry shocks are tuned with an emphasis on comfort for the street while being able to handle some moderate off road use. The Pintop's are tuned with more bottom out control on rough roads and you tend to give a up little small bump comfort with that. I have a 4.5 Pintop on my 17 and it rides darn good on the street but the 40's on 17's play a good role in that as well. Where it shines is on washboard and heavilly potholed roads at 50+mph.
What is your wheel and tire setup to run the 40's and how bad do they rub?
post #9 of 21 Old 08-05-2019, 08:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
What is your wheel and tire setup to run the 40's and how bad do they rub?
40x13.5x17 Toyo MT's on 17x9 Racelines with 4.5" BS. With the Radius Arms, Full Leafs, Bumpers spacers, and some trimming here and there I have no rubbing:

888-886-2480
post #10 of 21 Old 08-07-2019, 09:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks for the perspective. I need every ounce of OEM capacity on my SRW 2019 F350 (and may need stable loads to help with that). Am I to assume that I shouldn't change out any aspect of the rear if I go with a backcountry kit?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode