From 8” to 2.5” - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Heavy_GD
  • 1 Post By OCVeloMan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 03-13-2019, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
From 8” to 2.5”

Hey guys,

So to make a long story short..I am going to lower my truck down from my 8” Pro Comp to a 2.5” Carli setup.

I have emailed CJC Offroad and I just want to say they have been amazing and I highly recommend them and I’ve also emailed Carli and they have too. I am hoping for some real world opinions from people.

I’ve done a ton of research and have it narrowed down to the backcountry or pin top shock setup. I have never read a negative review of the pin top but what I do read and have been told is that it is more suited for off road than on. Though I’d love to smash speed bumps like they’re non existent, my off road adventures are minimal. Basically i drive on the beach a few times a year. If we had deserts around here it’d sure be different but that’s not the case.

So on road performance is key.

I want to run either 35s or the 315/70r18 Toyo M/T. Does anyone have experience with that size on a 2.5”? I’d also like to do 17s but I’m not comfortable with the chance that the caliper may not clear. Is this a valid concern or are the 17s always good with the calipers?

Being in going from the Pro Comp to the Carli I’ve tried to think of all stock parts I’ll need. Thankfully I have most. I know I need the stock pitman arm, another NEW Ford pitman arm nut (ask me how I know), stock radius arms, and the stock track bar bracket.

I’m sure I have more concerns but I’ll stop there for now.

Thanks so much for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-13-2019, 06:45 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,141 Times in 2,049 Posts
Mentioned: 436 Post(s)
Quoted: 3168 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
@OCVeloMan

@The_Carli_Suspension

@jetjock15

@Skyd Ram

OCVeloMan likes this.

GD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
So says the internet... ...and so it shall be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
OK, thanks for the info. To show my ignorance, what is the problem with 3 nipples...
post #3 of 10 Old 03-13-2019, 08:43 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Backcountry with Full Replacement Leaf Springs would be my choice for you. I love the Kings, don't get me wrong, but I can't say they're worth the extra coin to someone that's not spending significant time off the pavement. A few light beach runs and on-road sounds like the exact application for which the Backcountry was developed.

That said, I would personally go, Kings, because they're a much better built and more robust shock. Steel bodies and wear bands, 17-4 Stainless Shafts, bearings in the rod-ends vs. bushings and Carli's proprietary pistons and valving make them worth the extra coin to me. Blindfolded, you wouldn't know if you were in a backcountry or pintop on-road if they were both equipped with full leaf springs. When you start getting into fast corners and trails, you'd know right away.
Heavy_GD likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 03-13-2019, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchap009 View Post
Hey guys,

So to make a long story short..I am going to lower my truck down from my 8Ē Pro Comp to a 2.5Ē Carli setup.

I have emailed CJC Offroad and I just want to say they have been amazing and I highly recommend them and Iíve also emailed Carli and they have too. I am hoping for some real world opinions from people.

Iíve done a ton of research and have it narrowed down to the backcountry or pin top shock setup. I have never read a negative review of the pin top but what I do read and have been told is that it is more suited for off road than on. Though Iíd love to smash speed bumps like theyíre non existent, my off road adventures are minimal. Basically i drive on the beach a few times a year. If we had deserts around here itíd sure be different but thatís not the case.

So on road performance is key.

I want to run either 35s or the 315/70r18 Toyo M/T. Does anyone have experience with that size on a 2.5Ē? Iíd also like to do 17s but Iím not comfortable with the chance that the caliper may not clear. Is this a valid concern or are the 17s always good with the calipers?

Being in going from the Pro Comp to the Carli Iíve tried to think of all stock parts Iíll need. Thankfully I have most. I know I need the stock pitman arm, another NEW Ford pitman arm nut (ask me how I know), stock radius arms, and the stock track bar bracket.

Iím sure I have more concerns but Iíll stop there for now.

Thanks so much for the help.
Dan already nailed most of the bullet points. It's pretty hard to beat the Backountry with full leafs for an all around great setup. I run the Pintop's on my 17 and I appreciate the "sportier" feel of the Pintops over the Backcountry shocks although the Pintops are a bit firmer.

As far as wheel and tire setup goes, that will depend on what year truck you have. I have 17" wheels on my '11 as well as my 17 and haven't had any issues with caliper clearance. The tire shop just has to pay attention to where they are putting the weights.

Here is a my '11 When I was running 315's on 18x9's and a 2.5" Carli setup:

Carli Suspension | Pure Performance Suspension | Bilstein Shocks | Fox Shocks
Dynatrac | INNOV8 Wheels| aFe Power | S&B | Fuel | Air Dog | Amp Research
Trailready Wheels | Spicer | ARP | REV-X | RIGID Industries | KD Fabworks | Baja Designs

888-886-2480
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skyd Ram For This Useful Post:
Heavy_GD (03-13-2019)
post #5 of 10 Old 03-13-2019, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCVeloMan View Post
Backcountry with Full Replacement Leaf Springs would be my choice for you. I love the Kings, don't get me wrong, but I can't say they're worth the extra coin to someone that's not spending significant time off the pavement. A few light beach runs and on-road sounds like the exact application for which the Backcountry was developed.

That said, I would personally go, Kings, because they're a much better built and more robust shock. Steel bodies and wear bands, 17-4 Stainless Shafts, bearings in the rod-ends vs. bushings and Carli's proprietary pistons and valving make them worth the extra coin to me. Blindfolded, you wouldn't know if you were in a backcountry or pintop on-road if they were both equipped with full leaf springs. When you start getting into fast corners and trails, you'd know right away.
Man thank you so much for the reply. It’s tough as heck for me because I want the best and I want to know I could smash some washboard sections but I’m trying to be realistic to my needs and spend my money wisely.

I’ve seen all your activity on the Carli threads and your knowledge and info is always so helpful. I greatly like the fact that I can upgrade down the line if I want but for now it sounds like the Backcountry is a good starting spot. Are the reservoir mounts easily usable for both kits? I’d hate to have to pull the coil spring to check for the mounts for springs if I did upgrade in the future. Thanks so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyd Ram View Post

Dan already nailed most of the bullet points. It's pretty hard to beat the Backountry with full leafs for an all around great setup. I run the Pintop's on my 17 and I appreciate the "sportier" feel of the Pintops over the Backcountry shocks although the Pintops are a bit firmer.

As far as wheel and tire setup goes, that will depend on what year truck you have. I have 17" wheels on my '11 as well as my 17 and haven't had any issues with caliper clearance. The tire shop just has to pay attention to where they are putting the weights.

Here is a my '11 When I was running 315's on 18x9's and a 2.5" Carli setup:

Dude THANK you! Good gracious I’ve tried and tried to find a picture of that tire size and every time I’d find it mentioned in the thread the dang picture wouldn’t work. That size looks great. What offset was on those wheels? And did you have any rubbing issues? I love how they fill the wheel well and the size looks so much better than a 37x12.50 to me.

Just to go ahead and ask this too..If I do go with a 35 it sounds like a -12~ offset on a 9”/4.5” backspacing shouldn’t be an issue?

You guys have just about answered all the stuff I still had questions on, thanks so much.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-13-2019, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Quote:
Dude THANK you! Good gracious Iíve tried and tried to find a picture of that tire size and every time Iíd find it mentioned in the thread the dang picture wouldnít work. That size looks great. What offset was on those wheels? And did you have any rubbing issues? I love how they fill the wheel well and the size looks so much better than a 37x12.50 to me.

Just to go ahead and ask this too..If I do go with a 35 it sounds like a -12~ offset on a 9Ē/4.5Ē backspacing shouldnít be an issue?

You guys have just about answered all the stuff I still had questions on, thanks so much.
This specific wheel/tire combo cleared without only a very slight rub on the radius arm at full steering lock. I did need to trim the inner fender wheel plastic after playing with it off road.

That wheel is an 18x9 with 5.75" backspace (+18mm offset)

I am now running 37x13.5x17's on 17x8.5's with a 5" backspace. Those required more trimming to the inner liner as well as removal of the bumper braces.

You should be fine with a 35 on 9" wide wheels with a 4.5" backspace but they will stick out a fair amount.

Here's my truck with the 37" setup:

Carli Suspension | Pure Performance Suspension | Bilstein Shocks | Fox Shocks
Dynatrac | INNOV8 Wheels| aFe Power | S&B | Fuel | Air Dog | Amp Research
Trailready Wheels | Spicer | ARP | REV-X | RIGID Industries | KD Fabworks | Baja Designs

888-886-2480
post #7 of 10 Old 03-13-2019, 03:19 PM
BBBRRRRRTTTTT

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I had 35x12.5r18 mud terrains on 18x9 4.5 bs -12 offset and a 2.5 lift. they rubbed on the fender corner.

You might be fine with a less hobby tire. With 3.5 in lift it did not rub at all but the 35s looked tiny.

And the guys at CJC are pretty good.

2016 F-250 Super Crew XLT 6.7L
2007 F-250 Super Cab XL 6.0L (sold)

C-A-P-S CAPS! CAPS! CAPS!
post #8 of 10 Old 03-13-2019, 04:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchap009 View Post
Man thank you so much for the reply. Itís tough as heck for me because I want the best and I want to know I could smash some washboard sections but Iím trying to be realistic to my needs and spend my money wisely.

Iíve seen all your activity on the Carli threads and your knowledge and info is always so helpful. I greatly like the fact that I can upgrade down the line if I want but for now it sounds like the Backcountry is a good starting spot. Are the reservoir mounts easily usable for both kits? Iíd hate to have to pull the coil spring to check for the mounts for springs if I did upgrade in the future. Thanks so much.
If you're thinking Pintop, I'd go Pintop; that's awfully expensive to do twice. Once you're done with wheels, tires, and install, you'll kick yourself for not spending the extra $1,200 or so.

Just my $0.02, and yes, they use the same reservoir mounts - just larger hose clamps.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-13-2019, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyd Ram View Post

This specific wheel/tire combo cleared without only a very slight rub on the radius arm at full steering lock. I did need to trim the inner fender wheel plastic after playing with it off road.

That wheel is an 18x9 with 5.75" backspace (+18mm offset)

I am now running 37x13.5x17's on 17x8.5's with a 5" backspace. Those required more trimming to the inner liner as well as removal of the bumper braces.

You should be fine with a 35 on 9" wide wheels with a 4.5" backspace but they will stick out a fair amount.

Here's my truck with the 37" setup:

Thanks man this helps a ton with my wheel/tire questions. I was so curious about the 315/70r18. I think that with a 0 offset wheel would be perfect. I agree, looking now, I think the -12 most likely would sit out too far. What I specifically want is functionality. I’m still unsure but this helps a ton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstrokeshellback View Post
I had 35x12.5r18 mud terrains on 18x9 4.5 bs -12 offset and a 2.5 lift. they rubbed on the fender corner.

You might be fine with a less hobby tire. With 3.5 in lift it did not rub at all but the 35s looked tiny.

And the guys at CJC are pretty good.
Thanks man. My plan is a Toyo M/T so it’s definitely looking like 0 offset/5” bs is best on a 9” wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCVeloMan View Post

If you're thinking Pintop, I'd go Pintop; that's awfully expensive to do twice. Once you're done with wheels, tires, and install, you'll kick yourself for not spending the extra $1,200 or so.

Just my $0.02, and yes, they use the same reservoir mounts - just larger hose clamps.
I agree with this 100%. I just want to make sure the ride isn’t like a brick. That’s what I’ve dealt with for so long. I may sound ridiculous but I just have no knowledge on this system other than what I’ve read.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-13-2019, 06:11 PM
BBBRRRRRTTTTT

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I ended up putting 315/75r18 (36x13) toyo m/t on those wheels and a 3.5 in lift.

2016 F-250 Super Crew XLT 6.7L
2007 F-250 Super Cab XL 6.0L (sold)

C-A-P-S CAPS! CAPS! CAPS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode