'06 F250 SD with 14" Lift, Drives Horribly - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 06-16-2017, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'06 F250 SD with 14" Lift, Drives Horribly

Firstly, don't get me wrong, I don't expect a luxury ride in this thing, but I have read posts where people say their lifted trucks drive the same as a newer truck. I also own a 2016 Ram and it drives so smoothly, but it's stock. My problem is that this thing is so hard to keep on the road. My truck has a 14" lift with 40" Nitto tires (new. See my garage for more details). I constantly find myself being pulled into oncoming traffic if I hit a little hiccup in the road, even just a little dip from tire wear. It does drive straight on a flat road (an alignment done recently after Tie Rods and new tires). These things can't be that hard to drive, can they? This is my first, high, lifted truck. I bought it in TX about 6 months ago and drove it back. I was told, "don't fight it, just drive it". I tried and it was a little better but still very scary to drive, pulling me all over the road. Passing anything is my least favorite thing because it's so unpredictable.

I am currently on the fence with selling it because it's so scary to drive. My question is, what can I do to smooth this sucker out? I've been reading a little bit about bearings, ball joints, track rod/drag link geometry and it's all foreign to me, to be honest. Does anyone have any suggestions for straightening this thing out? It does have new tie rods and I tightened some of the bracing underneath the truck and it helped a lot. Maybe I need to tighten it more? Am I missing a cross bar or anything that you can see from the pics?

I have attached some pics. Yes, it's dirty, but we can look past that, I live off of a dirt road!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170615_211334.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	3.78 MB
ID:	629514   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170615_211308.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	3.66 MB
ID:	629522   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170615_211243.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	3.33 MB
ID:	629530   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170615_211237.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	4.06 MB
ID:	629538   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170615_211320.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	4.58 MB
ID:	629546  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 06-16-2017, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,135 Times in 2,043 Posts
Mentioned: 434 Post(s)
Quoted: 3147 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
@Skyd Ram @OCVeloMan

GD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
So says the internet... ...and so it shall be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
OK, thanks for the info. To show my ignorance, what is the problem with 3 nipples...
post #3 of 26 Old 06-16-2017, 08:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
'06 F250 SD with 14" Lift, Drives Horribly

@layson might know too.

I would start by turning the key on without starting it and rocking the steering wheel back and forth. Look for excess movement from the components from the steering box to the axle. It appears to have special setup for the linkage from the box to the drag link. I would look for worn bushings there.

Also these trucks are know for crappy steering boxes. But I'm not sure how that works with a hydraulic ram assist. Could be that also. Let's see what other think. You could call rize also.

01 f-250, Standard
Rev tech 4" lift,37" military wrangler Mt tires
KC diy 66, Full force 160/100 and custom tunes from PHP
Banks inner cooler and full 4" exhaust, Diy S&B intake
Diy quad feed, Hydra, Isspro boost, pyro, and fuel pressure
3/0 battery cables with military style terminals

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 06-16-2017, 08:38 AM

Thanked 1,843 Times in 1,787 Posts
Mentioned: 715 Post(s)
Quoted: 4004 Post(s)
agreed Steering Boxes are known for slop

and I would make sure the ram assist is dialed in properly

and that ram tang welded to the tie rod ( front bar) is not ideal IMO

that truck has a lot going on with the relocated trac bar
and the pitman box, sway bar relocate .pcs ram , and a slew of other stuff

6.0 flush pdf

Last edited by ZMANN; 06-16-2017 at 08:58 AM.
post #5 of 26 Old 06-16-2017, 10:06 AM
Fuel it up again Dummy

Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Garage
First thing that stood out to me is that high mounted track-bar connection on your front axle. That thing is high and forward from what I'm seeing. You have a lot going on there with that suspension setup for sure. I'm thinking the axle would be the first thing I would look at. If the axle moves left to right at all the truck will be ugly to keep where you want it to be.

Then I would go through ALL the steering parts and replace anything that's not new myself. Then look at ball joints in knuckles. Then take a VERY CLOSE look at the steering box itself for ANY play in the thrust bearings on it.

Another thing is look at the leaf spring rubbers for any wear, if rear axle is racking it will be ugly as well.

Last comment: 14" of lift is a awful lot of geometry to deal with, its going to take a lot of planning and money to get that to behave well on the road.
Layson is your best bet to chime in on this thread. He has at least the lift on your truck if not more but he has got it put together right. Work of art in all honesty, hope he sees this for your sake.
Good Luck with it, me I would start looking for anything worn along with that track-bar configuration. I don't like that not one bit...........

2006 F250 LARIAT CCSB 4X4
6.0 Diesel w/80K 6/19

ARP Studs, O-Ringed Heads
Stage I KC Turbo 10V
DC Power 270XP Die Hards
6.4 Starter, BPD Waterpump
FASS 125 Titanium w/Adj. Press Reg
3Ē CAC Pipes & CSF 7106 I.C.
4Ē Diamond Eye SS Exh System
W/two 4Ē SS Diamond Eye mufflers.
IPR Coolant filter w/ Manifold
CAT EC-1 coolant
SCT X4 ECM Rollback & PHP Tunes
100HP Hercules & 65HP Tow Tune
Icon/Deaver Suspension
Toyo M/T 38/15.50/18
1,000lbs or more other crap too
post #6 of 26 Old 06-16-2017, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
It could be a bunch of different things.

Start with checking the alignment specs and doing what the above poster said about checking for play in all of the moving parts.

That looks like a smaller kit that a set of big spacers were added to so the steering geometry could be pretty out of wack for that lift height.
Heavy_GD likes this.

Carli Suspension | Pure Performance Suspension | Bilstein Shocks | Fox Shocks
Dynatrac | INNOV8 Wheels| aFe Power | S&B | Fuel | Air Dog | Amp Research
Trailready Wheels | Spicer | ARP | REV-X | RIGID Industries | KD Fabworks | Baja Designs

888-886-2480
post #7 of 26 Old 06-16-2017, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,135 Times in 2,043 Posts
Mentioned: 434 Post(s)
Quoted: 3147 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I bet those hubs and the steering box are smoked.

I would also venture to say he has death wobble but the steering ram assist is taking most of the vibration.

GD

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
So says the internet... ...and so it shall be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
OK, thanks for the info. To show my ignorance, what is the problem with 3 nipples...
post #8 of 26 Old 06-16-2017, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
If I were to bet, the track bar would have some play. Every time we have seen a track bar bracket with a cam, there has been play in it. As everyone else has said, at that height there is a lot of areas where slop could arise.
ZMANN and Heavy_GD like this.

[URL=
dlr

Free shipping on Carli Suspension to the US and Canada!
424-241-3252

post #9 of 26 Old 06-16-2017, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks for the replies/help. I will try to read more about that stuff and check it out. I also forgot to mention that my hydro assist is jerky when I round corners, maybe that has some negative affects when those front tires move just a little? I'll look into getting that corrected first and see what it does.
post #10 of 26 Old 06-16-2017, 03:41 PM

Thanked 1,843 Times in 1,787 Posts
Mentioned: 715 Post(s)
Quoted: 4004 Post(s)
I might disable the hydro and remove the ram and lines ( plug the box ) during this troubleshooting

the steering on this is a little complex since it does not use the typical pitman arm it uses some fancy geometry brackets

6.0 flush pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
lift , pulling , unstable

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode