Newbie first post - BDS or Carli - torn - Page 2 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 Old 03-01-2017, 10:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmerganser View Post
OK.....so I knew I would.....but crossing off the BDS. @OCVeloMan can you PM me and let me know the best place to snag a kit? I am in Omaha NE. I'll do the install myself so I can buy locally or online..whichever is best price. Thanks again!!!
Looks like George has you handled; also, to the price question, he's correct in that we're price controlled. Should make it a bit easier on you as price shopping isn't necessary with our products.

That said the full leaf springs and an airbag kit with a daystar cradle will be the best option. George (SKYD RAM) has all the info you'll need on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 Old 03-01-2017, 10:23 AM

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmerganser View Post
I have never really weighed it.....but it can't be much....I would say 300-500 lbs max. I haven't towed with the 2015 yet, but with my 2008 F350, it made it squat a bit with the stock springs, so if I loose 15% with the carli full springs, I would assume it will squat more?
I think that you will be fine if you aren't towing very often. I have the full leafs on my '11 and I keep about 400 lbs in the bed at all times and the truck is pretty much level. I did add air bags as I carry 2 snowmobiles on a sled deck sometimes with a total weight of around 2000 lbs in the bed.

I would personally go with the full leafs for the better ride when empty. Then hook up your trailer and see if you need to add anything like air bags or Timbrens.

Here's my truck with full leaves and over 400 lbs in the bed and no air in the bags:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Carli Suspension | Pure Performance Suspension | Bilstein Shocks | Fox Shocks
Dynatrac | INNOV8 Wheels| aFe Power | S&B | Fuel | Air Dog | Amp Research
Trailready Wheels | Spicer | ARP | REV-X | RIGID Industries | KD Fabworks | Baja Designs

888-886-2480

Last edited by Skyd Ram; 03-01-2017 at 01:37 PM.
post #13 of 20 Old 03-01-2017, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Yeah, I have the full springs on the 4.5" Dominator and this is loaded with Around 2,000lbs of Pea Gravel. It's raked rearward but handled the load, no problem.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 Old 03-01-2017, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
It will squat more. If you plan on getting bags, do it once the first time and get the full springs. I have never had anyone regret getting the full springs.

[URL=
dlr

Free shipping on Carli Suspension to the US and Canada!
424-241-3252

post #15 of 20 Old 03-01-2017, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Thanks for all the great information guys! Carli it is! I will be placing an order soon!
Skyd Ram likes this.
post #16 of 20 Old 03-02-2017, 11:26 PM
Fuel it up again Dummy

Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Garage
I am going to throw in my two cents worth on the springs. I have had Fabtech rear springs and I did some mods to my factory springs which basically lifted the overload 1/2" away from the spring pack to get more travel before hitting the overload. Then I went with the Carli full leaf spring pack in 4-1/2" and there is no comparison. The Carli Leaf springs will change the entire ride of the truck. I compare my truck to our Chevy Tahoe and that's saying something. Trust me they are worth every dollar.

They are softer then the stock springs so they will not hold as much weight. But if you want to improve the ride its what you want to do. If you feel you need to add air bags later you will still be happy to do it because the payoff is in the ride. You won't be disappointed.

8Lug Gear is my choice on buying gear. George is a great guy and will take care of you.
OCVeloMan and Skyd Ram like this.

2006 F250 LARIAT CCSB 4X4
6.0 Diesel w/80K 6/19

ARP Studs, O-Ringed Heads
Stage I KC Turbo 10V
DC Power 270XP Die Hards
6.4 Starter, BPD Waterpump
FASS 125 Titanium w/Adj. Press Reg
3 CAC Pipes & CSF 7106 I.C.
4 Diamond Eye SS Exh System
W/two 4 SS Diamond Eye mufflers.
IPR Coolant filter w/ Manifold
CAT EC-1 coolant
SCT X4 ECM Rollback & PHP Tunes
100HP Hercules & 65HP Tow Tune
Icon/Deaver Suspension
Toyo M/T 38/15.50/18
1,000lbs or more other crap too

Last edited by mhatlen; 03-02-2017 at 11:29 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mhatlen For This Useful Post:
Skyd Ram (03-16-2017)
post #17 of 20 Old 03-06-2017, 08:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
By design, leaf springs will be susceptible to wrap. Increasing torque load, softening the rate, or raising the leverage will make them wrap more. Traction bars help control the wrap but most do so at the expense binding the suspension travel. Floating design ladder bars address the binding issue when both left and right springs are in parallel motion, but most on the market do not allow for articulation. One Up Offroad's patented traction bars address the binding issue and also allow for full articulation.

I won't own a leaf sprung full size diesel truck without them.

layson likes this.

2016 F-350, FX4, CCLB, 6.7PSD, 7" OUO/ICON/FOX lift, 38x13.50-18 Toyo MT
post #18 of 20 Old 03-07-2017, 10:15 PM
Fuel it up again Dummy

Garage
I myself don't like traction bars because they look bad and degrade the ride. The videos I watched looked like the truck was being pushed pretty hard. I have had 6" of blocks on my old truck with 38" tires and I honestly had no issues with axle wrap. I think it depends a lot on how you drive your truck on how bad your axle wrap is.
That said blocks are not a good mix especially when towing. But that truck in the video was being punished, at least by my standards.
Skyd Ram likes this.

6.0 Diesel w/80K 6/19

Stage I KC Turbo 10V
DC Power 270XP Die Hards
CAT EC-1 coolant
Icon/Deaver Suspension
Toyo M/T 38/15.50/18
post #19 of 20 Old 03-15-2017, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhatlen View Post
I myself don't like traction bars because they look bad and degrade the ride. The videos I watched looked like the truck was being pushed pretty hard. I have had 6" of blocks on my old truck with 38" tires and I honestly had no issues with axle wrap. I think it depends a lot on how you drive your truck on how bad your axle wrap is.
That said blocks are not a good mix especially when towing. But that truck in the video was being punished, at least by my standards.

What is funny is alot of people don't even know they have axle wrap or even something such as bump steer....LOL. Then some of the 6.4 guys don't even know that some of their shifting issues can be from axle wrap. Or even the 45 mph HOP. I have been in several CCLB trucks that guys straight up say they don't have it and I tell them to drive 45 and by golly its there. LOL

I disagree about the traction bars. A good set of bars are not going to affect the ride quality. There really isn't any real negatives to adding a good set of traction bars to a truck. Especially when you TOW. Then if you really want to set up the rear of one of these trucks for ride quality. You can add a set of traction bars, remove some leafs (or get some soft replacement springs), add some air bags and it rides fantastic, kind of similar to a linked rear end. The bags pick up the extra load. Some of the leafs that are in the pack are there to deal with axle wrap and where the stops are located.

What do you think happens when you run softer springs? That is why when you buy a set of fabtech, superlift, tuffcountry, procomp, readylift... etc.. leaf springs they are stiffer. If you made them real soft and raised the truck you will be dealing with thousands and thousands of people complaining about towing their trailers. When you buy a cheap lift kit, it is made so someone can still try hook up to a trailer.

These newer trucks now have longer softer springs then what they had before. They have more power. I don't feel it is a good comparison to compare an older Superduty that had (guessing) the shorter leaf (possibly stiffer aftermarket) springs then to the newer trucks that have longer softer springs.

So in my mind I would always recommend (if I am helping a friend of mine out) to anyone that tows or uses his truck to run a good set of traction bars. Especially if he lifts it, or adds more power, or even just tows alot.

Think about adding bags to your truck and no traction bars. When the leaf springs are loaded (towing) they are naturally trying to fight axle wrap. Now you air up the bags. Once you air up the bags you now unload the leaf springs. So now the leaf springs will have a tougher time dealing with axle wrap. Then you combine that with having a tuned/d#[email protected]%ted truck that is lifted and may even have some softer replacement springs then stock. You are going to have some issues. But I think alot of people that do this probably don't even know what a good lifted truck drives or tows like.

Its probably too late to make a suggestion about the lift for the OP. But I think it is actually a waste to run a coilover for such a small lift. No way can it compare to a good spring and a properly tuned shock. For the money you could have a really nice coil spring and an adjustable shock. So if you want it to ride stiffer or softer or fine tune it you can. You can't do that on a coilover. You are stuck with whatever valving is in it. A coilover is more at that lift height to just look cool. Think about the fact that if you don't replace the coil spring buckets and you just stick a coilover in place of a coil spring. You will have less travel then a comparable spring and shock, even though you probably would never need it or even care but the point is at that lift height it isn't worth it.
Betaracer likes this.

2001 - 14" OUO 525 - 38x15.5x20 Toyo & 20x12 Weld Cheyenne's. Hybrids, 38R, BTS, Spearco, Terminators..

DLR

Quote of the Day:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannysouza View Post
You will get some axle wrap with a heavy trailer, I can feel it when towing my gooseneck with some heavy equipment. My Deavers will wrap enough to make the tires rub the front of the rear fender well if I give it too much throttle on aceleration.
post #20 of 20 Old 03-16-2017, 09:46 PM
Fuel it up again Dummy

Garage
I will say your comments are interesting. But I still stand behind traction bars look like hell and I would rather have a boot up my a$$ then bars hanging off my truck. I know for fact I don't have axle wrap with the Carli/Deaver rear springs. There are 13 leafs in that spring pack and I thought for sure it was going to ride rough. Not the case at all, and I can floor my truck with no shimmy of any sort.
Some trucks can pull off traction bars and still look good. But for trucks lifted 6-10" they look like crap. Then compound that look with 35" tires and it really looks stupid.

That's just my opinion which is often worth around two bits. The guy in that video was thrashing on his truck that's a given. His leaf springs are likely the least of his problems.

6.0 Diesel w/80K 6/19

Stage I KC Turbo 10V
DC Power 270XP Die Hards
CAT EC-1 coolant
Icon/Deaver Suspension
Toyo M/T 38/15.50/18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode