Radius arm drop brackets or caster cams? - Page 2 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 Old 01-14-2017, 10:32 AM
Hunter of Trolls

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Call up and talk to Trevor at pmf. The arms in the link aren't adjustable. His are fully adjustable, and I wager he can get you where you want to be for less.

with his- and I wager with some others- you can fully dial in the castor.

but yes- you'll be wanting 4.5~5*... up to 5.5* if you can get it... the only bad thing about more positive castor is putting more effort to the steering box- and turning the track bar ball joint to a funky position. both of those are a small price to pay (if they even impact) for the drive quality of easier/quicker self correcting steering. a few tenths of degrees doesn't impact too much when it comes to binding parts (though there is a point where it does impact that- but nowhere you'll be getting close to), however those few tenths of a degree make a big difference in drive quality.

Last edited by drewactual; 01-14-2017 at 10:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 Old 01-19-2017, 02:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by green93 View Post
I don't know what my castor is right now but I know for a fact I want to put a 2.5 inch lift. I think I found the one I was, I'm going to go with the BDS leveling kit with adjustable radius arms. Here's the link.

Customize - 2.5" Radius Arm Suspension System | Ford F250/350 4WD Diesel Only 1509H

I really want to stay away from bad hands long and especially the death wobble. I figured if I just bite the bullet and go with quality parts the first time around, it should solve all my issues.
So from what I hear, between 4-5* caster is where I want to be aiming.
If you have not already purchased something. Take a look at the One Up Offroad Adjustable Link Arms (ALAs). They not only can get your caster back in check and get rid of the drop bracket. They are adjustable enough for up to a 6" lift or even if you want to lower the truck. Another real nice thing about them is the arms are also offset, the other options are not that way. The OUO arms are offset so you can either run a larger wheel/tire combo or you can get a tighter turning radius. Stick with the ALAs since they are pretty much a radius arm setup. It will keep your steering in check since your steering on your axle was designed around a radius arm setup.

These arms were specifically tailored to the coil front ends. These have been around since Ford came out with the coil front end in 2005. One Up Offroad has been installing these style of arms on trucks way before 2005 when you had to convert them from a leaf spring to a coil front end. So these guys been building this stuff for years and know what works best for these trucks. Give One Up Offroad a call and talk to Dave. He has a lot of knowledge in this industry and is quite fun to talk too.

The joints in these arms are about as good as it gets. These are not cheap joints that will need to be rebuilt and/or replaced every X,000 miles.
  • Caster Adjustability
  • Length Adjustable from Lowered to 6" Lift
  • Arms are built offset so larger tires and/or improved/tighter turning radius
  • Gets rid of drop brackets
  • Keeps yours steering in check (More of a 4-link vs Radius Arm Setup)
  • High Quality Joints
  • Looks awesome and is a great product
  • Some people appreciate this and I certainly do but they are packaged so well that I bet they could be dropped from the top of the building and the parts will still survive unscathed

2001 - 14" OUO 525 - 38x15.5x20 Toyo & 20x12 Weld Cheyenne's. Hybrids, 38R, BTS, Spearco, Terminators..

DLR

Quote of the Day:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannysouza View Post
You will get some axle wrap with a heavy trailer, I can feel it when towing my gooseneck with some heavy equipment. My Deavers will wrap enough to make the tires rub the front of the rear fender well if I give it too much throttle on aceleration.
post #13 of 20 Old 01-19-2017, 07:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by green93 View Post
I don't know what my castor is right now but I know for a fact I want to put a 2.5 inch lift. I think I found the one I was, I'm going to go with the BDS leveling kit with adjustable radius arms. Here's the link.

Customize - 2.5" Radius Arm Suspension System | Ford F250/350 4WD Diesel Only 1509H

I really want to stay away from bad hands long and espixally the death wobble. I figured if I just bite the bullet and go with quality parts the first time around, it should solve all my issues.
So from what I hear, between 4-5* caster is where I want to be aiming.
I don't see how those link arms have any adjustment. OUO ALAs are the way to go.

Icon and Carli both make really nice drop brackets, using a counter cantilever design and cross member to control forces. Cheaper versions like PMF do nothing but lower the pivot point.

You have a $50k truck, don't try to save money with junk.
layson and Skyd Ram like this.

2016 F-350, FX4, CCLB, 6.7PSD, 7" OUO/ICON/FOX lift, 38x13.50-18 Toyo MT
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Betaracer For This Useful Post:
layson (01-20-2017), Skyd Ram (01-20-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 Old 01-20-2017, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by layson View Post
If you have not already purchased something. Take a look at the One Up Offroad Adjustable Link Arms (ALAs). They not only can get your caster back in check and get rid of the drop bracket. They are adjustable enough for up to a 6" lift or even if you want to lower the truck. Another real nice thing about them is the arms are also offset, the other options are not that way. The OUO arms are offset so you can either run a larger wheel/tire combo or you can get a tighter turning radius. Stick with the ALAs since they are pretty much a radius arm setup. It will keep your steering in check since your steering on your axle was designed around a radius arm setup.

These arms were specifically tailored to the coil front ends. These have been around since Ford came out with the coil front end in 2005. One Up Offroad has been installing these style of arms on trucks way before 2005 when you had to convert them from a leaf spring to a coil front end. So these guys been building this stuff for years and know what works best for these trucks. Give One Up Offroad a call and talk to Dave. He has a lot of knowledge in this industry and is quite fun to talk too.

The joints in these arms are about as good as it gets. These are not cheap joints that will need to be rebuilt and/or replaced every X,000 miles.
  • Caster Adjustability
  • Length Adjustable from Lowered to 6" Lift
  • Arms are built offset so larger tires and/or improved/tighter turning radius
  • Gets rid of drop brackets
  • Keeps yours steering in check (More of a 4-link vs Radius Arm Setup)
  • High Quality Joints
  • Looks awesome and is a great product
  • Some people appreciate this and I certainly do but they are packaged so well that I bet they could be dropped from the top of the building and the parts will still survive unscathed
What do the OUO ALAs cost?

2013 F350 CC LB 4x4 Lariat
post #15 of 20 Old 01-21-2017, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betaracer View Post
I don't see how those link arms have any adjustment. OUO ALAs are the way to go.

Icon and Carli both make really nice drop brackets, using a counter cantilever design and cross member to control forces. Cheaper versions like PMF do nothing but lower the pivot point.

You have a $50k truck, don't try to save money with junk.
Do you have a pic of your drop brackets Ana ALAs??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 F350 DRW Pro Comp 6" lift with OUO traction bars, 37" Nittos
post #16 of 20 Old 01-21-2017, 11:07 AM

The dirt helps to see more contours.
layson likes this.

Last edited by Betaracer; 01-21-2017 at 01:56 PM.
post #17 of 20 Old 01-22-2017, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Looks nice. What are you running for lift? I see your signature but what parts from what kits are you running?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 F350 DRW Pro Comp 6" lift with OUO traction bars, 37" Nittos
post #18 of 20 Old 01-22-2017, 10:17 AM

Icon

2011+ 7"-9" Lift Box Hardware Kit
2005+ 7" Lift Coil Spring
2011+ Radius Arm Drop Kit
2011+ Rear Brakeline Extension
2005+ Adjustable Track Rod w/ Bearing End

OUO

2005+ OE Replacement Adjustable Link Arm Kit
Dana 60 Front Axle Truss
Dana 60 Front Axle Differential Cover
Ford Cross Member Drop
Lubelocker Gasket For Dana 60
Front Sway Bar Drop Kit for 2008+ Super Duty,
Mini Drive Line Drop Kit
Traction Block Kit - 8" 2.5 Degree
Adaptable Traction Bar Kit - Long Gussets
Traction Bar Hardware Kit - Beside Frame Pivot Mounts
Top Plate Kit Position Adjustable
Under Axle Plate Kit
U-Bolt, ĺĒ

FOX

2.0 Smooth Body Stabilizer
Performance 2.0 IFP Shock - Rear
Performance 2.0 Reservoir Smooth Body Shock - Front
layson and drewactual like this.

post #19 of 20 Old 01-22-2017, 10:25 AM
Hunter of Trolls

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
that's and AWESOME build, betaracer.

if i intended to run off-road more than I do, and I mean REALLY run off-road- as in at speed and braving the whoops- I'd try to do something similar (if I could afford it and had the patience)... it's truly impressive, man.
post #20 of 20 Old 02-09-2017, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Definitely like the looks of the ALAs. I think I'll be saving up some money to pick those up. I'm all about quality parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode