Track Bar Ball Joint Keeps Failing After Lift - Page 5 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 49 Old 10-26-2016, 10:20 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhatlen View Post
Going back to your statement that a trackbars geometry can be changed without lowering it is not true. A trackbar does nothing for the geometry in relation to the steering drag link. It makes no difference what bends or kinks are in that bar. It's a point to point equation. Only thing the aftermarket trackbar can do is put the oem ball joint back to its neutral position and of coarse get shorter or longer as needed.
That was my point was correcting the track bar ball joint angle, not the track bar geometry. I left out "ball joint" on my last statement. I will edit my post for clarification. I'm well aware that bends do not matter

As for correction of geometry, correct geometry for the track bar is whatever matches your drag link configuration.
Skyd Ram and mhatlen like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 49 Old 11-01-2016, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I replaced the Pure Performance with the Carli track bar and made two observtions. #1, as was mentioned earlier by @ZMANN and @mhatlen , there was a little slop in the heim joint with the factory bolt. Using the sleeves that came with the Carli, no slop. Since replacing the track bar, I've hear no more pops, clunks, or whatever, although I only have a couple hundred miles on it. So, it seems this time around the clunk was from the top end, and not the ball joint like the previous cases (guessing the first was just coincidence of timing and the 2nd was just a lemon). Observation #2, the ball joint now rests closer to verticle side-to-side with the Carli bar, however the track bar tends to rest rotated toward the back of the vehicle. I seem to recall a post in one of the many Carli related threads somewhere that addressed this, and if I recall correctly is nothing to be concerned with. So, I'm going to drive it and see if anything else 'pops' up...

Oh yea - observation #3 (I know, I said 2...), using a 1/2" drive Snap On ratchet and 6 foot cheater bar to tighten the track bar bolt = broken ratchet. Should have waited on my buddy returning my big breaker and tourque wrench....

Thanks again, everyone, for the input!

Clark

2000 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 V10 - 270K miles and counting; Icon 2" leveling kit, Newton Lift 3.5" rear blocks, BFG 315/75/16 (daughter now driving...)
2013 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L. 63K miles. Carli 4.5" Lift; 37" Ridge Grapplers on 20x9 Racelines.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charbaugh For This Useful Post:
ZMANN (11-01-2016)
post #43 of 49 Old 11-01-2016, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by charbaugh View Post
I replaced the Pure Performance with the Carli track bar and made two observtions. #1, as was mentioned earlier by @ZMANN and @mhatlen , there was a little slop in the heim joint with the factory bolt. Using the sleeves that came with the Carli, no slop. Since replacing the track bar, I've hear no more pops, clunks, or whatever, although I only have a couple hundred miles on it. So, it seems this time around the clunk was from the top end, and not the ball joint like the previous cases (guessing the first was just coincidence of timing and the 2nd was just a lemon). Observation #2, the ball joint now rests closer to verticle side-to-side with the Carli bar, however the track bar tends to rest rotated toward the back of the vehicle. I seem to recall a post in one of the many Carli related threads somewhere that addressed this, and if I recall correctly is nothing to be concerned with. So, I'm going to drive it and see if anything else 'pops' up...

Oh yea - observation #3 (I know, I said 2...), using a 1/2" drive Snap On ratchet and 6 foot cheater bar to tighten the track bar bolt = broken ratchet. Should have waited on my buddy returning my big breaker and tourque wrench....

#1 & #2: Awesome! Glad it's handled. Yes, the Heim on the top and ball joint on the bottom means the bar can misalign without deflecting. Grab int and rotate it front and back to see what I am talking about, no biggie. It will move as the axle shifts forward and back but is not a problem.

#3: Goot thing Snap-On has a lifetime warranty!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 49 Old 11-01-2016, 05:09 PM

Thanked 1,824 Times in 1,768 Posts
Mentioned: 705 Post(s)
Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCVeloMan View Post
#3: Good thing Snap-Off has a lifetime warranty!

fixed it for you

Clark glad you have this behind you ! i don't think it will be an issue again

i will keep my eye on the classifieds for the Pure bar
OCVeloMan likes this.

6.0 flush pdf
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #45 of 49 Old 11-18-2016, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by charbaugh View Post

LOL!! I know what you mean there. I snapped a 1/2" ratchet (cheap Stanley POS) and a 1/2" breaker bar the other day adjusting mine... justified me buying a good 3/4" drive set.

2012 F250 Lariat CCSB SRW:
H&S XRT w/ Gearheads tunes, Edge CTS, 5" FLO PRO DP Back w/ Muffler
S&B CAI, EGR Block Off Plates, No Limit CCV
Retro HIDs, ProComp 2.5" Stage3, Carli Track Bar, BDS Radius Arms, Fox 2.0 IFPs
post #46 of 49 Old 11-23-2016, 01:31 PM
Fuel it up again Dummy

Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Quoted: 1682 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGMAR View Post
LOL!! I know what you mean there. I snapped a 1/2" ratchet (cheap Stanley POS) and a 1/2" breaker bar the other day adjusting mine... justified me buying a good 3/4" drive set.
That's the answer right there. I have a Proto 3/4" socket set and it's priceless when you are dealing with big stuff. If you got mula go with Mac or Snap On ............
That trackbar bolt takes a rediculas amount of torque.

2006 F250 LARIAT CCSB 4X4
6.0 Diesel w/80K 6/19

ARP Studs, O-Ringed Heads
Stage I KC Turbo 10V
DC Power 270XP Die Hards
6.4 Starter, BPD Waterpump
FASS 125 Titanium w/Adj. Press Reg
3 CAC Pipes & CSF 7106 I.C.
4 Diamond Eye SS Exh System
W/two 4 SS Diamond Eye mufflers.
IPR Coolant filter w/ Manifold
CAT EC-1 coolant
SCT X4 ECM Rollback & PHP Tunes
100HP Hercules & 65HP Tow Tune
Icon/Deaver Suspension
Toyo M/T 38/15.50/18
1,000lbs or more other crap too
post #47 of 49 Old 11-23-2016, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
worst part was I only need the one socket and a breaker bar... too bad all shops around me only carry full sets and not just individual sockets

2012 F250 Lariat CCSB SRW:
H&S XRT w/ Gearheads tunes, Edge CTS, 5" FLO PRO DP Back w/ Muffler
S&B CAI, EGR Block Off Plates, No Limit CCV
Retro HIDs, ProComp 2.5" Stage3, Carli Track Bar, BDS Radius Arms, Fox 2.0 IFPs
post #48 of 49 Old 02-14-2017, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
410 ft. lbs comes easy with a Tq. multiplier. Takes all the stress off the ratchet and you can do it without a cheater bar.
best money I ever spent.

Torque Multiplier 5X , 1/2" in and out, w/o torque Wrench - Ratchet Helper | eBay

Denny

2005 CC SB 147K

MTW MaDmAx 68mm VGT
Warren Diesel 175/75's Super Spools N Drew's Tunes
VXCF9CA TQCI1NB
SCT A101706100004F6C
VIN FTSW21P65EB08535
ARP's - MBRP T-Back Kitty Del.
ICON 4.5" + 2" Spacer
Mickey T's Baja ATZ P3 37's
METHOD Racing Wheels 20x
ScanGauge II / RedHead Box
Snow Perf. Stg. II W/ Banks Intercooler
Bulletproof EGR Del. & External Filter
ELC Coolant & Sin. Coolant Filter
AMP Steps & ARE Cover W/ Bed Slide
post #49 of 49 Old 02-14-2017, 07:34 PM

Thanked 1,824 Times in 1,768 Posts
Mentioned: 705 Post(s)
Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
funny He acts like he invented that ?
it's been around for a long time

6.0 flush pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode