Carli Track Bar set up? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By DIGMAR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 02-27-2016, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Carli Track Bar set up?

So I got my Carli adjustable track bar installed the other day, but have some questions about the set up. Axle seems to be almost dead center. Only a few mm difference between passenger and driver sides. But the himes joint on the frame side seems to be off. Photos attached below, you can see its rolled all the way forward/down and the ball joint side is angled towards the rear of the truck. The ball joint is centered horizontally (in relation to the passenger/driver side of truck) but pushed back. I've loosened the lock but on the frame side and rotated the bar, but it always seems to settle like the photos. Is this normal, or what am I jacking up???

2012 F250 Lariat CCSB SRW:
H&S XRT w/ Gearheads tunes, Edge CTS, 5" FLO PRO DP Back w/ Muffler
S&B CAI, EGR Block Off Plates, No Limit CCV
Retro HIDs, ProComp 2.5" Stage3, Carli Track Bar, BDS Radius Arms, Fox 2.0 IFPs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-04-2016, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Garage
what is happening is that when you go to tighten the jam nut, the whole bar is rotating that direction, then after it's tight, the bar settles back to where the ball joint is level - but now the heim joint is off - like in your pics.

Now, since the primary motion of the track bar is up and down, it really shouldn't be a big deal. But having said that, it would bug me for it to be crooked like in your pics.

The solution is to loosen the jam nut, get the bar rotated so the ball joint is level, hold the bar to keep it from rotating and get the heim joint centered by rotating it with a cresent wrench on the solid body of the joint. When that's all good, hold the track bar and the heim joint (a friend helps here) while you snug the jam nut.

Alternatively if you don't have a friend handy is to rotate the bar forward to the limit of the ball joint, hold the centered heim with a cresent wrench, then tighten the jam nut - the bar will rotate slightly with the nut, and hopefully come out to where the ball joint is level. You might have to try different starting points to get it all straight and level with final tightening.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-07-2016, 11:35 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
It looks to be okay. When you initially set the track bar, you want the heim to be perpendicular to the hole for the ball joint on the axle end. The ball joint will rock a little, causing the heim to turn as well. As long as the heim is not riding against the misalignment spacer, you will be fine.

[URL=
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dlr

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Free shipping on Carli Suspension to the US and Canada!
424-241-3252

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 03-07-2016, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJCOffRoad View Post
It looks to be okay. When you initially set the track bar, you want the heim to be perpendicular to the hole for the ball joint on the axle end. The ball joint will rock a little, causing the heim to turn as well. As long as the heim is not riding against the misalignment spacer, you will be fine.
Yeah. That's what I've been battling with. It's hard to tell in the photo, but heim keeps settling pitched forwards against the spacer edge, resulting in the ball joint being angled slightly back towards the rear of the truck. I initially installed with the ball joint straight up and down and the heim perfectly perpendicular to the track bar bolt. But keeps settling forwards. I've te locked it a few times but guess I just have to keep playing with it. It seems no matter how I readjust it it always settles pitched forwards against the front alignment spacer.

post #5 of 7 Old 03-07-2016, 07:25 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
As long as it is perpendicular to the mounting hole on the axle it will be fine. The ball joint itself will cause the helm to rock. It may even rock towards the mis align, at that point it will cause the ball joint to move. Preventing any harm.

[URL=
dlr

Free shipping on Carli Suspension to the US and Canada!
424-241-3252

post #6 of 7 Old 03-10-2016, 09:22 AM

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Exactly as CJC said, so long as the ends are perpendicular, you have full, matched travel range of both joints exceeding the factory misalignment allowed by the factory, vulcanized bushing. It can roll forward or back as needed, throughout the travel stroke so no worries. If you rolled it back to make it parallel to the bracket at ride height, the ball joint would still lean rear so it would limit the rotation of the upper joint. Long way around saying, set them perpendicular and you're good to go!
post #7 of 7 Old 03-10-2016, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Y'all are definitely the experts when it comes to this... I'm pressing the "I believe" button and not worrying about it any more. Thanks for the help!!
OCVeloMan likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode