Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/)
-   Powerstroke.org Builds & Projects (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/powerstroke-org-builds-projects/)
-   -   Fuel tank replacement (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/powerstroke-org-builds-projects/1370213-fuel-tank-replacement.html)

Twglace 10-13-2019 08:50 AM

Fuel tank replacement

Hey folks I planned on dropping my tank and replacing it over the next week or 2 ( I think I have some delam going on.... any suggestions on spare parts I should have just in case I find things? Thanks!

99.5 f250 2wd

Twglace 10-13-2019 08:52 AM

Trying not to break the bank as well. This thing has been killing me !

SuperCrutyPS 10-13-2019 11:30 AM

Search for "Hutch Mod" and "Harpoon Mod"

Hutch has to do with modifying the pick up.
Harpoon has to do with shortening the tank vent line so the tank will take more fuel before the pump clicks off.

Twglace 10-13-2019 04:37 PM

Hmm, I might do the Harpoon other than the screens/strainers anything else I should have handy? My truck is having symptoms of Delam and of course it’s right after I did an injector job.....

tomshep 10-14-2019 10:22 PM

You need to get rid of the black funnel pick-up in the tank. It will eventually get brittle and fall apart. The Hutch mod gets rid of the mixer and pick-up but you need an aftermarket filter between the tank and pump.

Tom

Twglace 10-16-2019 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomshep (Post 16341229)
You need to get rid of the black funnel pick-up in the tank. It will eventually get brittle and fall apart. The Hutch mod gets rid of the mixer and pick-up but you need an aftermarket filter between the tank and pump.

Tom

I think this already happened because my truck thinks it’s out of fuel around 1/4 tank.

96coal449 10-18-2019 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twglace (Post 16341607)
I think this already happened because my truck thinks itís out of fuel around 1/4 tank.

This is exactly what has happened. The rubber bladder on the end of your pick up has broken off. I'm sure it has deteriorated with age and this is why you're seeing fragments in your fuel. An educated guess tells me you're spotting the fragments in the fuel bowl.

Do both of the mods as mentioned. Your tank will be a quarter full so beware of the weight. If you have the means to, I'd remove the fuel from the tank. Better yet.....lift the bed off.
Good luck

Twglace 10-20-2019 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 96coal449 (Post 16342601)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Twglace (Post 16341607)
I think this already happened because my truck thinks it’s out of fuel around 1/4 tank.

This is exactly what has happened. The rubber bladder on the end of your pick up has broken off. I'm sure it has deteriorated with age and this is why you're seeing fragments in your fuel. An educated guess tells me you're spotting the fragments in the fuel bowl.

Do both of the mods as mentioned. Your tank will be a quarter full so beware of the weight. If you have the means to, I'd remove the fuel from the tank. Better yet.....lift the bed off.
Good luck

Yeah, I purchased a siphon so I’ll get everything out of the tank any suggestions for cleaning the tank once I have it out ? I’m a one man operation so taking the bed off isn’t an option for me lol. I picked up 2 walbro pumps for a killer deal do you think it would be wise to just go ahead and replace my current ?

Twglace 10-20-2019 10:59 AM

I’m going to get a transmission jack and return it after I’m done lol

96coal449 12-08-2019 09:52 AM

Haven't been logged in for a while......hope you made out well.

For others who may read this thread with same questions in the future.....

I cleaned out my fuel tank at the car wash. Used de-greaser first then the pressure wash. During a thorough rinse, I continually flipped the tank over to empty out the standing water. I used aprox. 8 mins of wash time and 12 or so on the rinse. Took it back home upside down to help get more water out and then let it sit in the warm sun for 2 days.

About the Walbro pumps ....meh. Mine worked for a while but they faded out in a year on a stock truck. Went back to the Bosch.
For performance, (big injectors), I'd recommend twin Bosch, fuel fab, or a Fast setup.

Happy trails