Reliable or no? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke Forum Polls Vote here!

View Poll Results: Do you think 1911's are reliable?
Reliable 5 71.43%
Unreliable 2 28.57%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 05-05-2017, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Anti-Hashtag Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Reliable or no?

Since I have left the good ole USAF, I have found myself having more gun conversations then I could imagine. (not on purpose, just kind of walked into them). Any way, a common thing I run across is the amount of people who honestly believe that 1911's are unreliable. Now, I have put my fair share of rounds through my 1911's and have friends and family that shoot them in competition. Unreliable is the last word I would use to describe a quality 1911(There are over 50 manufacturers of this platform, and I do know some of them might as well be boat anchors). So I was curious as to what my truck brethren thought. I know this group has LEOs, military, civilians, IT guys, and even a couple Prius owners.....so I figured this would be a good place to go.

Only two defining forces have ever died for you, one died for your soul, and the other died for your freedom. They are Jesus Christ and the American Military Service member. So, pray to God for your soul, and Thank a Veteran for the right to do so.

2007 King Ranch CC F-350 SRW
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Performance Machines EGR Delete
Performance Machines Coolant Filter
Blue Spring Mod
SCT Tuner
Straight Piped
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Custom Tunes by MPT

Mishimoto Radiatior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 05-05-2017, 09:21 AM
Brrrrrrr......cccccold

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Kimbers, Colts and S&W!

I believe that certain ammo and lack of a polished feed ramp is the culprit in the ones that have issues. Sometimes the spring in the mag doesn't have enough "spring"...

Zach

07 F250 KR FX4 CCSB, Dark Copper Metallic/AZ Beige, Rotella T6
6000K HIDs, Zoodad, Fog mod/High Idle, Tinted, Rancho 9000s, Banks CAI,
Blue Spring, NUC/Amsoil Bypass Oil Filter
Z36 slotted/drilled rotors, Carbon Ceramic brake pads,
Warren 175/stock, Atlas 40, Fleetrite ELC, ScangaugeII

168,084 miles....

Air Force Veteran......Go Blue!

Support Our Troops - Remember Our Veterans!
post #3 of 26 Old 05-05-2017, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Anti-Hashtag Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsargent View Post
Kimbers, Colts and S&W!

I believe that certain ammo and lack of a polished feed ramp is the culprit in the ones that have issues. Sometimes the spring in the mag doesn't have enough "spring"...
There is one thing....I have never polished my feed ramps and have no issues.

Only two defining forces have ever died for you, one died for your soul, and the other died for your freedom. They are Jesus Christ and the American Military Service member. So, pray to God for your soul, and Thank a Veteran for the right to do so.

Blue Spring Mod
SCT Tuner
Straight Piped

Custom Tunes by MPT

Mishimoto Radiatior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 05-05-2017, 09:31 AM
Brrrrrrr......cccccold

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by starcommtrey1 View Post
There is one thing....I have never polished my feed ramps and have no issues.
I can believe that. What I'm saying is for THOSE who ARE having issues, that's usually the culprit. Very seldom do you have to polish the ramp on Colts Kimbers or S&W. You get what you pay for.

There are numerous other 1911 platforms out there that are really good too. without doing anything to them.

I love the Kimbers because they are beautiful pieces, but they are $$$!

Zach

07 F250 KR FX4 CCSB, Dark Copper Metallic/AZ Beige, Rotella T6
6000K HIDs, Zoodad, Fog mod/High Idle, Tinted, Rancho 9000s, Banks CAI,
Blue Spring, NUC/Amsoil Bypass Oil Filter
Z36 slotted/drilled rotors, Carbon Ceramic brake pads,
Warren 175/stock, Atlas 40, Fleetrite ELC, ScangaugeII

168,084 miles....

Air Force Veteran......Go Blue!

Support Our Troops - Remember Our Veterans!
post #5 of 26 Old 05-05-2017, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Anti-Hashtag Member

Ive never been impressed with full size Kimbers.....IDK why. I like my Colt, and it is by far my high dollard(over 3k in it), but my Para is my favorite to shoot.....I miss para.....FU REMINGTON!!!!!! RUINED ANOTHER GOOD GUN!

Blue Spring Mod
SCT Tuner
Straight Piped

Custom Tunes by MPT

Mishimoto Radiatior
post #6 of 26 Old 05-05-2017, 09:41 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1539 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I have a plain jane springfield mil spec less then $900 a few years ago. it came with:
lower/falred ejection port, arched mainspring housing, beveled mag well, longer rear tail, and something with the barrel not sure. but all ive done is oil it up every now and then and its never jammed.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

Justin
post #7 of 26 Old 05-06-2017, 05:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I own a sig 1911 in 40sw. It is very reliable but it does need to be oiled.I am much more accurate with it than my glock21 or my M&P performance center 9mm with all the bells and whistles/
post #8 of 26 Old 05-06-2017, 05:55 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I carry a Kimber SS Pro Carry and I also have a Kimber Eclipse, both are very reliable and accurate. My boy has a Kimber and a Ruger and his are great too. I believe most reliability issues with the 1911 or any autoloader are magazine related.

Sparky

2005 F250 CCSB KR 4x4 6.0 4" Flo-Pro,
Fox 2.0s, Toyo ATs, CTS2 Pro, Blue Spring, BPD 7.3 Fan Clutch, IPR Coolant Filter

2000 F350 SCLB Dually 4x4, 7.3 6 Speed Hydra, CTS2, S&B Air, 4'' SS Diamond Eye

2005 Explorer XLT 4x4 Mountaineer,
Toyo ATs, Wife's grocery getter

1993 F150 4x4, 302 5 speed, winter truck

post #9 of 26 Old 05-06-2017, 06:24 PM
DMc
6.2 Convert

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
I never had any issues with the Colt I had 30 years ago. I'm a Sig guy now but seems like whenever I hear someone griping about their 1911 at the range it turns out to be a damn Norinco!

2018 F250 4X4 CC LB 6.2
2004 F250 4X4 CC SB Sold (Miss you Sarah!)
post #10 of 26 Old 05-06-2018, 08:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Love 1911's, mostly Commander
and compact versions, favorite is Colt and Wilson.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode