Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1699 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Devotion
Bad Company

by Greg Laurie on Apr 8, 2019

“ Peter swore, 'A curse on me if I’m lying—I don’t know the man!' And immediately the rooster crowed. ”

Matthew 26:74

Peter’s denial of Jesus did not happen over a period of seconds or minutes, but over a period of hours. An hour had passed from the time the first person said, “You were one of those with Jesus the Galilean,” to the time Peter made his second denial. He had ample opportunity to hightail it out of there, but he remained in this situation. It just reminds us of the fact that no person is safe from temptation except the one who flees from it. Peter, having been warned by Jesus Himself, of all people, should have avoided any place where he could be weakened. He definitely should have steered clear of all roosters. I would have said, “Are there any roosters here? Because I’m leaving if there are. The Lord mentioned a rooster.”

Great men and women of God have been compromised by lowering their standards and allowing themselves to be drawn into sin. People like Solomon. Samson. David. They all found out the hard way. Are we better than they were? Are we more spiritual than they were? I don’t think so.

If someone like Simon Peter was capable of falling, then surely we are. First Corinthians 15:33 tells us, “Bad company corrupts good character.” Peter was around people who were dragging him down spiritually. Are you in a similar situation today? Have you entered into relationships where people are dragging you down? Maybe it’s a romance. Maybe it’s a close friendship. Are you finding yourself compromising your principles to fit in and not offend anyone? Perhaps you need to reconsider who your friends are. Perhaps you need to make some immediate changes.

Is bad company corrupting you?

Source:
https://harvest.org/resources/devotion/bad-company/
SparkyF250 likes this.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Its like me getting five 5 gallon bucks and throwing regular, mid, premium, #2 diesel and offroad diesel and then shooting a roman candle at each one to show which ones burns better."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #432 of 438 Old 04-15-2019, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Serving Our Country!

Garage
Devotion
What Breaks God’s Heart

by Greg Laurie on Apr 13, 2019

“ Now as He drew near, He saw the city and wept over it, saying, 'If you had known, even you, especially in this your day, the things that make for your peace! But now they are hidden from your eyes.' ”

Luke 19:41-42

As Jesus made His triumphal entry into Jerusalem, the crowds were celebrating. They were laughing. They were cheering. They were having a great time. And what was Jesus doing? He saw the city, and He wept over it. Here was the crowd, whipped into a frenzy, and Jesus was weeping. The crowd was rejoicing, and Christ was sobbing.

Why did Jesus weep when He saw Jerusalem? Being God and having omniscience, Jesus knew these fickle people who were crying out, “Hosanna!” would soon be shouting, “Crucify Him!” He knew that one of His handpicked disciples, Judas, would betray Him. He knew that another disciple, Peter, would deny Him. He knew that Caiaphas, the high priest, would conspire with Pilate, the Roman governor, to bring about His death. And, He knew the future of Jerusalem. Looking ahead 40 years, He saw the destruction that would come upon the city at the hands of the Emperor Titus and his Roman legions.

Jesus also wept because His ministry was almost over. Time was short. He had healed their sick. He had raised their dead. He had cleansed their lepers. He had fed their hungry. He had forgiven their sins. Yet for the most part, He had been rejected. John 1:11 says, “He came to His own, and His own did not receive Him.” And so He wept. This broke His heart, and it still does.

Unbelief and rejection breaks God’s heart, because He knows the consequences. But when the door of the human heart is shut, He refuses to enter forcibly. He will only knock, wanting to gain admittance. He has given us the ability to choose. But when we choose the wrong thing, He knows the repercussions that will follow—in this life and the one to come. And His heart is broken.

https://harvest.org/resources/devoti...ks-gods-heart/
SparkyF250 likes this.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Its like me getting five 5 gallon bucks and throwing regular, mid, premium, #2 diesel and offroad diesel and then shooting a roman candle at each one to show which ones burns better."
post #433 of 438 Old 04-22-2019, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Serving Our Country!

Garage
It Starts in the Home

by Greg Laurie on Apr 22, 2019

“ And they said to me, 'The survivors who are left from the captivity in the province are there in great distress and reproach. The wall of Jerusalem is also broken down, and its gates are burned with fire.' ”

Nehemiah 13

It was a day like any other day when Nehemiah heard about the plight of his fellow Jews. The walls of Jerusalem lay in ruin, and the Jewish people were in captivity because they persisted in worshipping false gods.

In effect, God said, “You like false gods? I’ll send you to idol central: Babylon.” They were captives there for seventy years.

Ultimately King Nebuchadnezzar was replaced by his grandson Belshazzar, who was overthrown. Enter Cyrus and the Medo-Persians. Cyrus allowed the first wave of those in captivity to return to Jerusalem, where Ezra the priest rebuilt the temple.

But the walls of Jerusalem were still in rubble. A lot of time had passed, and the news reached Nehemiah in the king’s court. The ruling king, Artaxerxes, would allow Nehemiah to go to Jerusalem and do something about it.

The walls of a city were important. Obviously, they served as protection, but they were more than that. City walls also served as a symbol. At the gates of the wall, city leaders would meet and make decisions. Or, the elders would meet. The walls mattered.

Walls matter in our lives as well. The walls of faithfulness protect our marriages. The walls of marriage protect the family. And the walls of the family protect the nation. It has been said that a family can survive without a nation, but a nation cannot survive without the family. I think we could take almost every social ill in America today and trace it directly to the breakdown of the family. America needs the family.

How did the people of Israel rebuild the walls? One brick at a time. How do we rebuild our nation? One home at a time. One family at a time. It starts in your home, and it starts in mine.

https://harvest.org/resources/devoti...s-in-the-home/
kaya, HP MACHINE and SparkyF250 like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #434 of 438 Old 05-06-2019, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Serving Our Country!

Garage
Devotion
A Word to Men

by Greg Laurie on May 6, 2019

“ Then as I looked over the situation, I called together the nobles and the rest of the people and said to them, 'Don’t be afraid of the enemy! Remember the Lord, who is great and glorious, and fight for your brothers, your sons, your daughters, your wives, and your homes!' ”

Nehemiah 4:14

The moment Nehemiah and the Jewish people started rebuilding the walls of Jerusalem, attacks came in various forms. Note how Nehemiah responded: “Then as I looked over the situation, I called together the nobles and the rest of the people and said to them, ‘Don’t be afraid of the enemy! Remember the Lord, who is great and glorious, and fight for your brothers, your sons, your daughters, your wives, and your homes!’” (Nehemiah 4:14 NLT).

What’s very significant is the fact that Nehemiah’s words were addressed to the men: “Fight for your brothers, your sons, your daughters, your wives, and your homes!” The men were told to fight for their families.

Each one, for the most part, was to build the part of the wall that was nearest to his home. If you were building the wall and your house was next to it, do you think you would do a good job of securing the wall? Of course. That is your house, and in that house is your family.

Men, if someone were to break into your house, would you defend your wife and children? Of course you would. You would stop the intruder. You would do what needs to be done.

But what about a spiritual attack against your wife? What about a spiritual attack against your children or your grandchildren? Would you be there as well?

We need more men of God leading their families and setting an example. Men, stop being slackers. Get up and lead. You lead in other areas, so lead in this one. Lead your family in Bible study. Lead your family to church. Lead your family in prayer. Be that man of God. Make your stand in your own home first. You will be so blessed if you do this.

https://harvest.org/resources/devotion/a-word-to-men/
SparkyF250 likes this.

post #435 of 438 Old 05-13-2019, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Serving Our Country!

Garage
Devotion
Secure the Door

by Greg Laurie on May 13, 2019

“ Casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ. ”

2 Corinthians 10:5

We have some rabbits in our garage, which belong to our grandchildren. They named one of them Cotton and the other Chubby Cutie. One day I went into the garage and discovered that Chubby Cutie and Cotton were loose and hopping around. I tried to catch them while I maneuvered around the things in my garage. Thankfully my grandson, Christopher, managed to grab them. We quickly returned Cotton and Chubby Cutie to their cage and secured their little door.

We all have a door, of sorts, in our lives. If we leave that door open, bad things can come in. We start by guarding our minds. We decide what thoughts will be allowed to take residence in our minds. All kinds of thoughts come to us all the time. They can be bad thoughts, good thoughts, horrible thoughts, or wonderful thoughts. We decide what is coming in and what isn’t.

That’s why the Bible tells us to “[bring] every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ (2 Corinthians 10:5 NKJV). If you give the devil an inch, he will take a mile. Don’t have any conversations with the devil. The Bible says, “Resist the devil and he will flee from you” (James 4:7 NKJV).

We also need to guard our mouths. Often we say something or tweet something or post something, and once it’s out, we wonder why we said it. We would do well to pray, as David did, “Set a guard, O Lord, over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips” (Psalm 141:3 NKJV).

Before you speak, apply the acronym THINK: Is it truthful? Is it helpful? Is it inspiring? Is it necessary? Is it kind? You might be thinking, “If I applied that principle, then I would basically say nothing.” So be it.

https://harvest.org/resources/devotion/secure-the-door/
SparkyF250 likes this.

post #436 of 438 Old 06-03-2019, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Serving Our Country!

Garage
The Power of the Gospel

by Greg Laurie on Jun 3, 2019

“ The power of the Lord was upon them, and large numbers of these Gentiles believed and turned to the Lord. ”

Romans 1:16

My life was dramatically impacted by the power of the gospel in a single day. I came to the Lord on my high school campus after hearing the gospel presented in a way that I had never heard it before. I responded and gave my life to Jesus Christ, and immediate changes started to take place.

The Lord used the Christians on my campus, fellow high school students who were unashamed to live out their faith. If someone had tried to reach me by being cool or relating to me, I don’t know how well they would have done. I’d had enough cool to choke on in the world. I had pretty much been there, done that, and I was fed up with it. I was searching.

I had already, through the process of elimination, determined where the answer in life was not. It was not in the hedonistic, materialistic, party lifestyle of my parents’ generation. Nor was it in the choices that I made as a kid. Being cool would not have reached me.

In fact, the people who reached me probably were what I would have considered the lamest people on the face of the earth. I thought you couldn’t be any lamer than a Christian. They walked around carrying Bibles and talking about God. I thought that was the most absurd choice a person could possibly make. I had basically narrowed it down to this: either these people were out of their minds—actually disturbed mentally, or they really did have an encounter with Christ. Of course, in the end I concluded it was option two. I heard the gospel and made a commitment to the Lord.

I was looking for something real, something authentic, and I found it in a relationship with Jesus Christ.

https://harvest.org/resources/devoti...of-the-gospel/
SparkyF250 likes this.

post #437 of 438 Old 06-10-2019, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Serving Our Country!

Garage
Devotion
A Power to Change the World

by Greg Laurie on Jun 10, 2019

“ But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth. ”

Acts 1:8

I am always interested in last words, in knowing the last thing that someone said.

Jesus was leaving. Prior to His ascension, He took the apostles to a mountain in Galilee, where He gave them marching orders for the church:

“All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” (Matthew 28:18-20)

How would they pull this off from a human standpoint? They were in no way ready for such a task. There were still things they didn’t understand. Their faith was weak. They had failed in their public witness and also in their private faith.

After all, Simon Peter, their acknowledged leader, had openly denied the Lord. If Peter could be demoralized by the words of one woman, then how could he (and they) be expected to go into all the world and preach the gospel?

How? They would do it with a power they had never known before, a power to change the world: “But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you” (Acts 1:8). It’s power to be a witness . . . power to share your faith . . . power to turn your world upside down . . . power to do what God has called you to do.

The same power that was poured out at Pentecost is available to us today. The Bible has promised a dimension of power for every believer who would ask for it from the Lord, to be a witness for Him.

https://harvest.org/resources/devoti...nge-the-world/
SparkyF250 likes this.

post #438 of 438 Old 07-01-2019, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Serving Our Country!

Garage
Devotion
Turn Your Worries into Prayers

by Greg Laurie on Jul 1, 2019

“ Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God. ”

Philippians 4:6

There are so many things today that can cause us to worry. There are the worries of the world. There are the worries in our own country, including the threat of terrorism and the threat of North Korea. Then there are personal worries, such as health worries and family worries.

It seems as though worries are always there, always closing in on us. But worry isn’t productive. In fact, it’s a failure to trust God. The word worry comes from an Old English term that means “strangle” or “choke.” That is what worry does. It chokes us. Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow; it empties today of its strength.

Modern medical research has proven that worry breaks down our resistance to disease. It actually diseases the nervous system and, more specifically, the digestive organs and the heart. In fact, 79 to 90 percent of all visits to primary care physicians are stress related.

Philippians tells us, “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus” (4:6–7).

We need to turn our worries into prayer. That requires developing a conditioned reflex. We all have natural reflexes, like when we touch something hot and immediately pull back. Then there’s a conditioned reflex, something that becomes natural after we’ve done it so many times. For instance, standing during the national anthem or placing your hand over your heart during the Pledge of Allegiance is a conditioned reflex.

We can’t control our universe, as hard as we may try, but we certainly can pray about it. The next time you’re tempted to worry, pray instead. Turn your worries into prayers.

https://harvest.org/resources/devoti...-into-prayers/
SparkyF250 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode