1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 12-23-2018, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Vehicle / RV Cover

Looking for a good cover for an RV in Arizona. I cover mine, but I'm on my second cover with each lasting about nine months. The summer sun is really brutal on these covers and they become so brittle, they start to tear in my hands when I pull it off. Went to camping world, but the warranties there only cover tears along the seams, and that is not where these are tearing. Its almost as if the warranties are written not to file claims.

2005 F250, 189,000 Miles
Bullet Proof HD Oil Cooler w/ Cold Weather Kit, Bullet Proof EGR, Bulletproof Water Pump, 7.3 Fan Clutch
Airlift 5k Airbags and Wireless Air
Edge CTS w/ EGT probe and Fuel Pressure Sensor.
15 MPG slick; 10 MPG towing 11k fifth wheel
Ravelco

6.0 Flush Procedure:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Good 6.0 Reading:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-21-2020, 05:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Cover Craft is a good choice.
post #3 of 11 Old 01-21-2020, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
Serving Our Country!

Went with a camco ultrashield cover from camping world. Its holding up better. After seven months, the roof is still solid. Its at least two layers with some kind of treatment. The sides are a little tougher, but is starting to show signs of wear. There's a couple of holes worn in the side, despite me covering the sharp edges like the gutters with Styrofoam pool noodles. The side is startign to get brittle from the AZ sun, so more tears will follow soon. The three of the nylon straps disintegrated in the sun. I expect this cover to last good for another year or two. Thhere's supposed to be a three year replacement warranty on it from Campingworld. That warranty was about a third of the price, so I hope replacement warranty means the cover gets replaced.

Next time I think I'll by a cheap cover, and replace it every few months. I think the covers provide better sun a and weather protection than North side shaded parking.

2005 F250, 189,000 Miles
Bullet Proof HD Oil Cooler w/ Cold Weather Kit, Bullet Proof EGR, Bulletproof Water Pump, 7.3 Fan Clutch
Ravelco

6.0 Flush Procedure:

Good 6.0 Reading:

Last edited by ChrisSki; 01-21-2020 at 07:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 01-21-2020, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,141 Times in 2,049 Posts
Mentioned: 437 Post(s)
Quoted: 3169 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
when it comes to covers you really get what you pay for.

My @Covercraft has treated me well and I would buy it again.
Also consider covering the car cover with a reflective tarp to help with the rays.

@DalesSuperStore may have some insight

GD

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
So says the internet... ...and so it shall be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
OK, thanks for the info. To show my ignorance, what is the problem with 3 nipples...
post #5 of 11 Old 01-21-2020, 07:44 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSki View Post
Looking for a good cover for an RV in Arizona. I cover mine, but I'm on my second cover with each lasting about nine months. The summer sun is really brutal on these covers and they become so brittle, they start to tear in my hands when I pull it off. Went to camping world, but the warranties there only cover tears along the seams, and that is not where these are tearing. Its almost as if the warranties are written not to file claims.
Speaking of the Arizona sun...I usually pop a vent / crack window on mine but last summer I did not and the interior wallpaper on the west facing wall bubbled and peeled. I've had the unit over 20 years but for all but three of those years it's been parked inside, so I guess I'm still learning about the elements. Now I gotta find a paper-hanger...

Anyway -- word to the wise, don't let this happen to you...lol. I know many covers use materials that allow some air to flow-through but I don't know if all do that. I imagine if a simple tarp-like cover was used, it would intensify the interior heat build-up.
post #6 of 11 Old 01-21-2020, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy_GD View Post
when it comes to covers you really get what you pay for.

My @Covercraft has treated me well and I would buy it again.
Also consider covering the car cover with a reflective tarp to help with the rays.

@DalesSuperStore may have some insight
How long has this lasted you? I guess what I'm looking for are covers that will last in the desert sun.

The first two I bought both would tear, not along seams, after 6 or 9 months, just by lifting it off the RV. Duct tape and sewing helped, but by a year or 18 months of use, the cover would tear and be lying on the ground.

For my 3 vehicles, I'm lucky enough to be able to garage all three of those. Its just the RV I'm trying to cover. All three covers I bought were definitely breathable, more so on the sides than the top.

2005 F250, 189,000 Miles
Ravelco

6.0 Flush Procedure:

Good 6.0 Reading:
post #7 of 11 Old 01-21-2020, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I'm pretty sure this is my 5th year on it, but I use the tarp also.

Have you priced the metal roof (pole barn) style covers?

GD

Quote:
Quote:
OK, thanks for the info. To show my ignorance, what is the problem with 3 nipples...
post #8 of 11 Old 01-21-2020, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Serving Our Country!

Quote:

5 Years is good. For me, I park the RV at a lot, so I guess I could use the pole style tarps. I's have to price that out. I would be the only one of about a thousand RVs at this lot that would have the tarp.

2005 F250, 189,000 Miles
Ravelco

6.0 Flush Procedure:

Good 6.0 Reading:
post #9 of 11 Old 01-21-2020, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Serving Our Country!

Quote:

5 Years is good. For me, I park the RV at a lot, so I guess I could use the pole style tarps. I'd have to price that out. I would be the only one of about a thousand RVs at this lot that would have the tarp.

2005 F250, 189,000 Miles
Ravelco

6.0 Flush Procedure:

Good 6.0 Reading:
post #10 of 11 Old 01-21-2020, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
yea, I know its odd, but it works. FWIW I dont mean an old blue tarp like grandpa used on the woodpile.
https://www.tarpsnow.com/shade-tarps.html

Being on a lot definitely makes it harder, so scratch the poles.

Give @Covercraft a shout and get their thoughts.

GD

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Heavy_GD; 01-21-2020 at 01:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in