Off-Topic Discussion of All Non-Related Topics

94Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 274 Old 08-03-2009, 12:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i just figured i cant get into much trading only starting with 500 or so, and does that brokrage from wells fargo is it expensive annual cost or anything?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 274 Old 08-03-2009, 12:12 PM

Another point: frequent buying and selling will expose you to short term capital gains taxes. I believe that it is better to buy quality and hold if you try to time the market you will usually miss out on a lot of the up side. If you need returns buy good dividend producers.
post #23 of 274 Old 08-03-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyd View Post
i just figured i cant get into much trading only starting with 500 or so, and does that brokrage from wells fargo is it expensive annual cost or anything?
I think it's tied to my portfolio management account. There is no fee but there might be a minimum balance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 274 Old 08-03-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monoloco View Post
Another point: frequent buying and selling will expose you to short term capital gains taxes. I believe that it is better to buy quality and hold if you try to time the market you will usually miss out on a lot of the up side. If you need returns buy good dividend producers.
So buy low and just wait it out until the prices go way up is what your saying?

How frequent do you buy and sell on average? Im not trying to be nosey just dont have much of a clue, i assumed the penny stocks you would do day to day and then what your talking about months to keep?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 274 Old 08-03-2009, 12:55 PM
Premium Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
initially understanding the research you do takes more time than the stock research itself. i started really digging in to 'what-means-what' when it comes to all the jargin. After a few days of learning i felt more comfortable in where my money was going...this is just in 401K options.

if you do take the time to learn, you will find things much less daunting and much more clear.

this is a good thread and I hope it doesn't digress into "what's a good stock?" type questions....

the time to learn is part of the investment. i still need to learn a whole lot more.....where's my Investing for Dummies book again?

01 7.3 f350 CC/SB - chipless w/3:73s
TrueCool Transcooler
FTVB
Gauges
AIS
Walker BTM
Bilstien 5100s
Soft top
post #26 of 274 Old 08-03-2009, 01:02 PM

so a good starting point would be? any good sites for people without a clue lol

post #27 of 274 Old 08-03-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
So buy low and just wait it out until the prices go way up is what your saying?

How frequent do you buy and sell on average? Im not trying to be nosey just dont have much of a clue, i assumed the penny stocks you would do day to day and then what your talking about months to keep?
What I try and do is pick stocks as a long term(years) investment. Having said that, I do keep a close eye on anything that would have a negative effect on a stock and get out if necessary. People do make money short term on the stock market but you have to really know what you are doing and stayed glued to the computer every day trying to spot trends in the market. It is very difficult and many have gone bust trying. It is much better to try and build a quality portfolio that will give you good returns over the years. This is particularly true if you are young. I think i read someplace that if a person would have invested $10000 in Walmart stock back in 1972 they would have an investment worth $130,000,000.00 today. Educate yourself before you jump in, do research, buy high quality companies that will produce a good yield, and don't go into it thinking you are going to hit the ball out of the stadium. Another good strategy is to buy good dividend producing stocks and reinvest the dividends compounding your investment.
post #28 of 274 Old 08-03-2009, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
I always wanted to get into stocks with some free money i have, not much but i can put couple hundred a month into it new money if i had to but what program or software do you guys use? I like the idea of penny stocks but i just have no idea where to start actualy buying and how to not get reemed on the charges for buying and selling frequently? any suggestions guys?
I was using Scottrade, but Im on TD Ameritrade now. TD gave me 5oo free trades when I signed up. Think they have to be used in 30days. I wont be able to use all of them, but its nice right now

2005 F250 Lariat SB 4x4
35" MT's
AFE Stage 2
175k miles
Deleted
4" lift

In the words of David Crockett, "You may all go to hell. I will go to Texas!" spoken in the halls of congress; circa 1830's
post #29 of 274 Old 08-03-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
so a good starting point would be? any good sites for people without a clue lol
I would probably recommend the Motley Fool Stock Adviser if you are just getting started. I think you can get it for about a $100 a year and they will point you towards some very good investments.
post #30 of 274 Old 08-03-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyburt View Post
initially understanding the research you do takes more time than the stock research itself. i started really digging in to 'what-means-what' when it comes to all the jargin. After a few days of learning i felt more comfortable in where my money was going...this is just in 401K options.

if you do take the time to learn, you will find things much less daunting and much more clear.

this is a good thread and I hope it doesn't digress into "what's a good stock?" type questions....

the time to learn is part of the investment. i still need to learn a whole lot more.....where's my Investing for Dummies book again?
Very good advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode