How much power should a 7.3 IDI have? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Non-Powerstroke General Discussion General Discussion for 6.9L and 7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Engines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 Old 05-06-2016, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How much power should a 7.3 IDI have?

Hi all. I added a new 7.3 to the family this week. I drove 1,500 miles round trip and just got home a couple of hours ago.

She's a 1993 7.3 IDI Non-Turbo with a Spicer 5spd. This one is a Rollback wrecker. Hard to decipher this one but the odometer says 75,000 miles. The truck is in nice shape but i'm 90% sure that's not the right mileage. Probably switched out. Oil pressure shows as 40 going down the road, 20 idling.

I like the truck a lot. Actually the more I drove it the more I liked it. And that's saying a lot for a truck with no cruise control that I drove for 750 miles.

Ok, so actually my only complaint with the truck is the power. Now it's not all bad. I was hauling a Cadillac DeVille (not a truck or SUV but a heavy car none the less) and the truck would do 70mph down the highway just fine. That's level road and in fact if you really want to push it you might get 75 out of it.

On non-level road the story changed quickly though. A few times I was down in 4th doing as little as 35mph with my flashers on trying to make it up the hill.

In town if you take it just a tad easy she seems to even go a little faster than when you push it. No complaints there, i've always heard that the idi doesn't win any races and i'm not worried about that.

It's this hilly highway driving that I need to improve if at all possible. On the stretch of I-90 that goes through my town there are three hills and I could only maintain 45 at the top of each one. That's with taking a run at it in anticipation. I'm not going to make any friends around here doing that all the time.

So do I have an old worn out 7.3 that's just giving up slowly? Is that all the engine ever had in it and this is as good as they are? Is there much I can do (besides forced induction) that will make a noticeable difference? Any chance the muffler is plugged up and getting rid of it will give me some ponies?

If it makes any difference, when I got out of the hotel at about 5am this morning, it was chilly and with cold oil showing 50psi it seemed a bit peppier around town while I was filling up and going to breakfast.

This space for rent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in