Introductions This is the place that you introduce yourself

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 10-10-2014, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Newbie thirsting for knowledge.

Hello. I don't have a Powerstroke as of yet but I will as soon as I find the right one. I am going to look at one tomorrow as a matter of fact and I would like to know the opinions of you old school strokers. It's a 00, 7.3 6spd truck with 220K. Asking price is $9995
I have had a few Powerstrokes (Company Provided). All of them were worked hard, driving every ridge and deer trail in southern WV and Kentucky with an enormous load of oilfield drilling tools in the bed. The first one was a 7.3 but after I put about 40K on it,which didnt take long driving 1500 to 2000 miles a week, the lease was up and I was given a brand new 6.0. The 6.0 was a nightmare. It was in the shop more than on the road. After leaving me stranded 8 miles back in the woods, I swore to never own another. After two years of fighting that beast, my company gave me an 08 6.4. I loved the snappy power over the 6.0 and it served me well. Never left me stranded that is. But it did have a few issues. I now work for a division in the company where I am riding in an airplane seat instead of a truck. I want a new toy and it HAS to be a diesel truck. Looking back on it, the 7.3 was the one I would choose without any real knowledge of diesel trucks. Now for some background.

I started life out as a mechanic. I was a GM driveability tech for five years and then worked at an independent shop for awhile. Until somehow I got into the drilling business(long story). I did work on Dmax engines but it boiled down to nothing more than changing injection pumps all dang day. But as far as regular service and repair on diesels go, I have no real experience. I have been a Ford guy since birth but never a true Powerstroke owner. My addiction was fox body mustangs.

I would like to know based on the truck description I gave and my background:
1. Do you think this is a good truck for me. I want a project but is the price right? Is the mileage to much?
2. What kind of life can I expect out of the internals (eng and trans) if the truck has been properly maintained as the owner swears it has?
3. Do you think with my background in gasoline service, I can rebuild/repair anything on this truck? With some help from you fine folks that is

I know I am asking a lot here. Any help, advice or criticism is more than welcome and greatly appreciated. Other than that, I would just like to say thank you and that I am glad to be here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-10-2014, 09:41 PM
california deplorable

Mentioned: 431 Post(s)
Quoted: 3125 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer#1 View Post
Hello. I don't have a Powerstroke as of yet but I will as soon as I find the right one. I am going to look at one tomorrow as a matter of fact and I would like to know the opinions of you old school strokers. It's a 00, 7.3 6spd truck with 220K. Asking price is $9995
I have had a few Powerstrokes (Company Provided). All of them were worked hard, driving every ridge and deer trail in southern WV and Kentucky with an enormous load of oilfield drilling tools in the bed. The first one was a 7.3 but after I put about 40K on it,which didnt take long driving 1500 to 2000 miles a week, the lease was up and I was given a brand new 6.0. The 6.0 was a nightmare. It was in the shop more than on the road. After leaving me stranded 8 miles back in the woods, I swore to never own another. After two years of fighting that beast, my company gave me an 08 6.4. I loved the snappy power over the 6.0 and it served me well. Never left me stranded that is. But it did have a few issues. I now work for a division in the company where I am riding in an airplane seat instead of a truck. I want a new toy and it HAS to be a diesel truck. Looking back on it, the 7.3 was the one I would choose without any real knowledge of diesel trucks. Now for some background.

I started life out as a mechanic. I was a GM driveability tech for five years and then worked at an independent shop for awhile. Until somehow I got into the drilling business(long story). I did work on Dmax engines but it boiled down to nothing more than changing injection pumps all dang day. But as far as regular service and repair on diesels go, I have no real experience. I have been a Ford guy since birth but never a true Powerstroke owner. My addiction was fox body mustangs.

I would like to know based on the truck description I gave and my background:
1. Do you think this is a good truck for me. I want a project but is the price right? Is the mileage to much?

IF it has been maintained it should be a great truck for you check your local cl for pricing and compare that way as prices vary across the country

2. What kind of life can I expect out of the internals (eng and trans) if the truck has been properly maintained as the owner swears it has?

I have heard of many 7.3 going the distance to at least 500k so again if maintained you should be fine there too

3. Do you think with my background in gasoline service, I can rebuild/repair anything on this truck? With some help from you fine folks that is

absolutely I swear with the help of the good people on this forum you could do ANYTHING on these trucks and get a better prognosis than from your local ford stealership...besides they only want to put you in a 2015 with payments the size of the national debt for some countries

I know I am asking a lot here. Any help, advice or criticism is more than welcome and greatly appreciated. Other than that, I would just like to say thank you and that I am glad to be here.
that aside welcome to the org. I am not very experienced with the 7.3 other than my old partner had one and i enjoyed driving it from time to time. it helped motivate my purchase of the 6.0 which while in its stock form is problematic but can be made to be reliable and entertaining :thumb:

I like mead
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

early 04 f350 6.0 cclb lariat sr
Bulletproof oil &egr, elc, sct x3, edge CTS, afe intake, blue spring, t-500, MTW stage 2, Vivians looney, 305 x55x20 bfg at ko's, 4 inch cat back, 4"BDS fox shocks and steering stabilizer, tri pilar gauge set, coolant filter, riff raff boots, new headliner, 7 inch touch screen w/back up, new carpet, near whole new interior,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FederalOwnershipRespectfullyDeclined

The Following User Says Thank You to john galt For This Useful Post:
Mountaineer#1 (10-12-2014)
post #3 of 15 Old 10-11-2014, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Garage
Glad to have you - to the ORG!!

You've got history with Powerstrokes. That's a plus. Is the 2000 a good truck? I think John said it about maintenance. That is key. If it was well taken care of, they'll go and go. My '01 has 211K and I'm not afraid to hook up my 5th wheel and go somewhere. Are they fast? Not neccessarily, but will pull? Like an ox!!! Mine is my DD also. Love this thing.

Ask for maintenance records (if a dealer ask for a Carfax) Look for obvious stuff like leaks, smell stuff to see if it oil or fuel. Definitely drive it to get a feel of it. With you experience, you'll probably have a good idea of it's condition.
Look in here to see what we've been saying about them.
Ford Powerstroke 99-03 7.3L Forums - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Darryl | Owner/Operator
Truck | 2001 F350 CCLB

5th Wheel |

Proud Veteran | US Navy - '76-'80 - Petty Officer 2nd Class (E5)
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperCrutyPS For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 10-11-2014, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you guys for the replies. The truck drove and ran great. It was no cream puff cosmetically, but I think it was mechanically sound as they come. Not a drop of oil anywhere except for a little around the piping boots. I'm still not sure this is the truck for me, I reeeeaaally need a crew cab. Carfax didn't really show much on the maintenance. Some, but mostly during warranty and it was simple stuff.

I have found good deal on a 2003, crew cab 6.0 with 101K. Like I said, I had a really bad experience with that engine. Most of my problems were egr and injector related. I am very interested in hearing what you guys have to say about "bullet proffing" them. I don't mind getting a little(or a lot) grease on my hands, if I come out on the other side with a dependable truck that meets all my needs. Should I start another thread on this or is it cool to ask these questions on this one. In the mean time I will look around on the site and do some reading. Thanks again guys!
post #5 of 15 Old 10-11-2014, 01:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
I'm gonna get pooped on but I'm a 7.3 guy and not a 6.0 fan. IMO you can't go wrong with a 7.3 PSD. With basic tools and basic mechanical ability you can DIY pretty much anything on them.

Are you familiar with blow by on a Diesel engine? First thing I check.

Good luck shopping and welcome to the addiction
The Following User Says Thank You to JJFLASH For This Useful Post:
post #6 of 15 Old 10-11-2014, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am. That's the amount of gasses that get by the rings right? I believe I used to just open the crank case vent on the duramax's. Can't remember if there were any real specs on how to meter it though. Just kind of learned from the other techs, what was acceptable or not.
post #7 of 15 Old 10-12-2014, 06:45 AM

Yep. Take the truck for a run, get it good and hot then pull the oil fill cap. An amount of haze is normal but if it's smoking like the orange blossom special, walk away. Can also flip the cap over and set it on the fill tube. If the cap blows off, walk away.
The Following User Says Thank You to JJFLASH For This Useful Post:
post #8 of 15 Old 10-12-2014, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ease of maintenance/repair is definitely high on my list of priorities JJFLASH. I never thought of checking the blow by, not sure why as it was on the check list every time a Dmax was brought in the shop. I guess I've lost a little in the near decade its been since I stopped spinning wrenches. Looks like I have some decisions to make. I have an 01 7.3 I am going to look at in the morning and an 03 6.0 I am going to check out later in the week. Of course, I will be checking out anything I find in between You gentlemen have been most helpful and welcoming. Hopefully I will have an actual truck to talk about soon! I've been bitten hard by the diesel bug and I am about to drive my wife crazy. In the last 3 weeks I have drove 3+hrs each way on several occasions, to look at trucks. She said I should just go buy a new one because I am so picky that by the time I find one I want to buy, I will have spent 50K in travel expenses alone plus the cost of the vehicle! She may be right because when I decide to make a move, it consumes me.
post #9 of 15 Old 10-13-2014, 06:46 AM

you better be extra nice to your wife cause you are gonna need a reserve of brownie points. The obsession only gets worse once you have one sitting in your driveway.
post #10 of 15 Old 10-13-2014, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

That's a good point!!! I better do all I can do to build some up because I have a nasty firearms habit as well and I am deep in the pit on brownie points!

Just to let you guys know, I made a decision and found a truck. Its a done deal, just need to go pick it up on Saturday. I am quoting the specifics from the email the seller sent me so I am not sure about brands on some of the aftermarket parts.
99 F-250 Super Cab
7.3L PSD
New Ford Auto Trans w/shift kit and performance converter
Upgraded Injectors
Performance Programmer
4" Exhaust
4" Procomp Suspension Lift
2 Sets of Aftermarket wheels and tires
Absolutely no rust or oil leaks anywhere. Truck is flawless with the exception of wear on the drivers seat bottom.

I could do without the flashy wheels, but I will probably sell the chrome/polished aluminium set and put the more functional set on. That way I can put a little cash back in "Secret Man Money Stash".

Again Guys,
I really, really appreciate all the info and help. I look forward to conversing with you gentlemen in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode