Introductions This is the place that you introduce yourself

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 01-16-2020, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Newbie needs help

Hi just joined up and hope to get some good advice . I have a 2001 7.3 ,6 speed I ordered from the factory . I tried to get a truck without a computer but of course that was due to my ignorance at the time . So I ordered it with, 44 , no carpet, manual trannie, hand operated windows, no air con ,heavy duty tow package with overload springs ,8 foot bed , and the 38 gallon diesel tank . I had a B and W turn over ball installed for my 4 horse gooseneck trailer and now have a B&W companion 5th wheel hitch in the hitch hole. Also have Firestone air bags for heavy loads .This truck has been a real work horse ,hauling horses ,hay , farm implements , and now 5th wheel house trailers . I have gone thru 3 ball joints and that's about it so far for trouble. Do a lot of 4 wheeling in the sticks where I live so it's hard on them. I'm just shy of 200k and that's about the only major problem I have had in these 19 + years ,bought it in Nov 2000. I love this truck and have learned a lot about it but need to know more because I'm not going to let anyone else wrench on it if I can help it . I have done all of my maintenance and most of the minor repairs since the warranty ran out years ago . I plan on knowing this truck inside out . I plan on doing my own injectors when the need arises . Been taking good care of the originals . So that's about it in a nutshell I'm here because my fuel gauge is reading past full for the last several days. So I tried taking speed bumps with the air bags at 20 lbs to see if the float was stuck . No dice.Only my teeth came loose. My Forscan code had a B1302 code which is for power shut off delay . Only thing I'm aware of that's on delay is the door operated dome light. So it is not related... I think... .I checked the instrument panel fuse , it was fine. My Forscan Dashboard Fuel level reads 0% and O Volts for the 2 FLl indicators . So I thought short on the YE/WH wire somewhere between the sending unit and the gauge ? . I located the wires (2 of em couldnt tell the color of the 2nd probably black or dark blue) and was able to feel that they were firmly attached to the tank sending unit . They are encased in that split hard black plastic sheathing . I tried wiggling to see if the gauge wiggled at all ,again no dice . So now I'm faced with having to drop the tank when I'm 1300 miles from my shop til March . I'm not going to do it without my floor jack. If any one has any ideas or tests I can do in the meantime I am all ears . What should the symptom be for; a broken float? A short? or a defective sending unit ? The gauge itself reads full and the dashboard gauge reads the opposite MTor 0% and no voltage . I have a good Klein multimeter ready to go .Luckily I know from mileage about how much diesel is left in my tank so I can live with it till March.. but was hoping for some input until such time as I get to my shop . Thanks Jeremy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-16-2020, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sorry to hear about your issues.

Try going into the Ford Powerstroke 99-03 7.3L Forums - Lots of good info in there. Perhaps someone knows about this issue and would be willing to share.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Darryl | Owner/Operator
Truck | 2001 F350 7.3L CCLB |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

5th Wheel |

Proud US Navy Veteran | '76-'80 -
-
- 'Gator Navy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode