2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 12-25-2019, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to the 6.0

Hal from eastern Pennsylvania. I have several 7.3 diesels that I bought new and still haven't had any major problems. Just got a 2006 truck with the 6.0 and expect many more problems. I know pretty much what I am in for but I wanted a newer truck than my 7.3 versions.

Anyway, I am looking forward to learning about these and keeping my new to me truck running. First issues I see are oil leaks low on the block. I guess I will start there.

Hal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-25-2019, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
06 is a good year. Any mods that you know of?
Make sure you change the oil, trans fluid and fuel filters, air filter if it's super dirty. I did my power steering fluid. Might be a good idea to change the diff oil as well. Oh yes, if it has Ford coolant, your going to want to get that out of it, doing a full (all day long) flush.

Sent from my Vivo XI PLUS using Tapatalk
post #3 of 13 Old 12-25-2019, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Garage
Be sure to take a look @ the Ford 03-07 6.0L Powerstroke Forums - lots of good in for the reading - lots of helpful members to pick their brains.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Darryl | Owner/Operator
Truck | 2001 F350 7.3L CCLB |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

5th Wheel |

Proud US Navy Veteran | '76-'80 -
-
- 'Gator Navy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 12-25-2019, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the info. Truck is 2006 crew cab long bed. I had it shipped in from California. Amazing shape compared to the junk around here. Has 110 k miles. I did some looking and it has a new radiator and a replacement egr cooler. I am guessing it has been repaired once at least.

It is bone stock.

Any advice on a interface to monitor the temperatures etc and read error codes? I have been looking at a few units but haven't decided yet. Not looking to change tune of the engine.

Hal
post #5 of 13 Old 12-25-2019, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Garage
Edge Products can monitor stuff going on.

Also there is a Torque App you can get for your phone, computer or tablet. Couple that with a blue-tooth OBDII connector and you can monitor things that way.
john galt likes this.

Darryl | Owner/Operator
Truck | 2001 F350 7.3L CCLB |

5th Wheel |

Proud US Navy Veteran | '76-'80 -
-
- 'Gator Navy
post #6 of 13 Old 12-25-2019, 12:58 PM
california deplorable

Mentioned: 446 Post(s)
Quoted: 3181 Post(s)
the 6.0 is an interesting truck the trick is research your year and make the mods that are year specific to your truck and design any mods to your needs.
the 6.0 requires stc fitting stand pipe dummy plugs and egr cooler delete or replacement with BPD. and of course the standard 6.0 head studs and maybe oringed heads depending
i am sure i am forgetting a couple things but done up your 6.0 should be as dependable as your old 7.3's it just takes more to get them there and you dont want to neglect scheduled maintenance being done on time.
every year has its own issues perhaps someone with an 06 will chime in and offer any other assistance.
otherwise...great truck enjoy it i LOVE mine
Spirit likes this.

I like mead

early 04 f350 6.0 cclb lariat sr
Bulletproof oil &egr, elc, sct x3, edge CTS, afe intake, blue spring, t-500, MTW stage 2, Vivians looney, 305 x55x20 bfg at ko's, 4 inch cat back, 4"BDS fox shocks and steering stabilizer, tri pilar gauge set, coolant filter, riff raff boots, new headliner, 7 inch touch screen w/back up, new carpet, near whole new interior,

FederalOwnershipRespectfullyDeclined

post #7 of 13 Old 12-25-2019, 01:11 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by A0m397x View Post
Hal from eastern Pennsylvania. I have several 7.3 diesels that I bought new and still haven't had any major problems. Just got a 2006 truck with the 6.0 and expect many more problems. I know pretty much what I am in for but I wanted a newer truck than my 7.3 versions.

Anyway, I am looking forward to learning about these and keeping my new to me truck running. First issues I see are oil leaks low on the block. I guess I will start there.

Hal

Have been through the various versions of the 7.3 myself, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the 6.0's performance -- barring any catastrophic events, of course. To avoid those, I suggest monitoring, maintenance & monitoring some more...
post #8 of 13 Old 12-25-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A0m397x View Post
Thanks for the info. Truck is 2006 crew cab long bed. I had it shipped in from California. Amazing shape compared to the junk around here. Has 110 k miles. I did some looking and it has a new radiator and a replacement egr cooler. I am guessing it has been repaired once at least.

It is bone stock.

Any advice on a interface to monitor the temperatures etc and read error codes? I have been looking at a few units but haven't decided yet. Not looking to change tune of the engine.

Hal
I use Torque Pro on an android car stereo, or on my phone, depending. Works great and it's fun to play with.
Nothing wrong with going with a mild tune on these trucks, they run so much better with one.

Have you checked to see if the truck has head studs or any other engine upgrades?

post #9 of 13 Old 12-25-2019, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No head studs. I had been thinking of the Edge Insight for engine monitoring.

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

I do think this engine has potential from the research I have done and I'm looking forward to getting into it and learning.
post #10 of 13 Old 12-25-2019, 05:03 PM

No head studs is (kind of) good. The 06&7 have more robust head bolts, so it takes a bit of abuse to lift the heads.
If you are buying a dedicated monitor, I'd go with the SCT as there is more support for future programming.
08+ tow mirrors are awesome and an easy mod. Also, get an alarm, these trucks get stolen all the time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in