3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 10-11-2019, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need your HELP, Super Duty People!

Also; Hello! First time, long time. Thanks for your eye-time.
I have used this site to research, learn, and laugh for years now. Ironically, I’d appreciate your input. Just... if you would be so kind; Don’t beat the S**T out of me if I make an error or ask a question. Please.

I just kicked over 225K mikes on my completely stock 2001 F-350 Super Duty LB SRW 4x4, and there’s a couple items that have become worn and need tending to. I’m using this as an excuse to purchase some fun go-fast items, along with a lift system/ leveling kit, brake rotors & lines, fuel systems, etc...
I have gone as far as purchasing the following:

- S&B Cold Air Intake
- 4” MRBP Stainless Turbo-Back Exhaust (Muffler Deleted)

Im installing them this weekend. My truck was built 03/01 so I’m pretty sure I have PMR’s (checked with snake/inspection tool but it was hard to make out). Regardless, I’m looking for a little more power and oomph in the “skinny pedal”, but RELIABILITY is my goal, NOT HP NUMBERS.

So, that being said... I now turn to you, oh POWERSTROKE faithful! Where shall I go from here? PHP HYDRA chip? ARB air-lockers with a new R&P (I do go off-road as well as tow a trailer)?

I eagerly await your responses... Thank you in advance for the time!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4CCC00BB-0268-4571-8027-7B6BAB837F4D_1570804818109.jpeg
Views:	17
Size:	2.12 MB
ID:	723955  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-11-2019, 07:50 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoorDoctor View Post
Also; Hello! First time, long time. Thanks for your eye-time.
I have used this site to research, learn, and laugh for years now. Ironically, I’d appreciate your input. Just... if you would be so kind; Don’t beat the S**T out of me if I make an error or ask a question. Please.

I just kicked over 225K mikes on my completely stock 2001 F-350 Super Duty LB SRW 4x4, and there’s a couple items that have become worn and need tending to. I’m using this as an excuse to purchase some fun go-fast items, along with a lift system/ leveling kit, brake rotors & lines, fuel systems, etc...
I have gone as far as purchasing the following:

- S&B Cold Air Intake
- 4” MRBP Stainless Turbo-Back Exhaust (Muffler Deleted)

Im installing them this weekend. My truck was built 03/01 so I’m pretty sure I have PMR’s (checked with snake/inspection tool but it was hard to make out). Regardless, I’m looking for a little more power and oomph in the “skinny pedal”, but RELIABILITY is my goal, NOT HP NUMBERS.

So, that being said... I now turn to you, oh POWERSTROKE faithful! Where shall I go from here? PHP HYDRA chip? ARB air-lockers with a new R&P (I do go off-road as well as tow a trailer)?

I eagerly await your responses... Thank you in advance for the time!

Welcome to the org and you came to the right place. A few members can be a little rough around the edges but hearing the same questions millions of times does that hahaha. I would reach out to @[email protected] he run cnc fabrication and is a good sponsor with great prices and can help you choose the tune(s) you want for reliability and some extra performance. Personally 99% the tunes that come with the hydra program are just fine. esp the daily driver and tow files. if you want something little extra I would call dan at sdk performance. google him and you'll see his stuff. there are tons of other tunes and people all have their preference. but again most of the time the tunes that come free in the php hydra software library do just fine for most folks.

Most of the time these trucks came with a limited slip that is less than ideal. pretty cheap to rebuild if your handy and got some time. Reaching out to ARB directly would be the best option though. They are $$$ though so maybe a Detroit set up may be a good middle ground. Also off-road is a subjective term... Maybe some better AT or MT tires would help (they usually do).

AT will have better road manners and do better with snow/ice while MT tires will have a better offroad difference and USUALLY not as good in snow/ice because of the surface area. MT tires only have the lugs touching the ground while AT tires have more of the tire touching etc. Generally speaking of course.

*Just noticed you are running the BFG AT tires. I currently run them and really like them. In mud they are not the best but they weren't built for it. You could always use an air compressor and air down like to like 30ish psi if its only short distances but then you gotta air back up etc. Kind of a double edged sword but aired down tires in a safe manner really help traction.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Its like me getting five 5 gallon bucks and throwing regular, mid, premium, #2 diesel and offroad diesel and then shooting a roman candle at each one to show which ones burns better."
post #3 of 7 Old 10-14-2019, 08:26 AM

Mentioned: 1178 Post(s)
Quoted: 1418 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
You will have to take the plug back out and then rotate the crank to get the bolt closer to the inspection hole, then you will be able to see it clearly with a light shining in the hole.

PHP Hydra chip is the best place to start for the most bang for your buck for a power adder.

https://cncfab.us/i-30498022-power-h...php-hydra.html

If the truck still runs great and no engine running issues, just wait until they need to be changed.

With your truck as is with the lift/suspension, I dont think the ARB would be well suited for the price as that truck isn't set up to be an "overland" type truck. Detroit TruTrac would be more suitable for daily driving and some light/med off-road type stuff.

Summit Racing seems to have good pricing on TruTrac's, even though I do carry Eaton line of differentials.
john galt likes this.

[SIZE="3"]For all your ford powerstroke needs. If you dont see what you are looking for on the website, please use the contact page and shoot us a message or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Part numbers will help alot too if they are not on our site.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-15-2019, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Welcome to the community! I'm Tommy from Dales Superstore, we're a new sponsor here and fairly well known in the diesel world. If you haven't heard of us, we have a huge distributor network and work with countless manufacturers both large and small. We can get just about anything and we'll do the shopping for you, we'll even price match to make sure you always get the best price. As of last week, we no longer offer "race only" products but still offer a ton of intact tuning.

Let me know if you need a quote on anything, I'm happy to help.

Regards,

Tommy T.

844-487-2787

us for special pricing
Operating Hours: 9am-6pm EST Monday - Friday
post #5 of 7 Old 10-15-2019, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thank you very much for the time and advice! I can assure you, I will put the research time in. I will also post updates as I go...
post #6 of 7 Old 10-16-2019, 12:19 AM
california deplorable

Mentioned: 432 Post(s)
Quoted: 3140 Post(s)
with these two posts...were pretty much done here 4i can really only add that i have been running bfg at's for decades on stuff and the set on my truck right now will be retired next month with just under 70k on them
and yes somehow the rears are pretty much racing slicks right now
i am sorta built for overland as it has been a favorite hobby of mine for decades
these trucks are a tad large for a lot of trails but i needed the seats and the ability to tow 10k wihtout fuss...
and i freakin love my truck. granted its a 6.0 but pretty much same truck
bfgs have been amazing in snow and ice and just hwy miles and i got about twice the miles i expecte so no complaints. as justin said...they kinda suck in mud especially the clay slop we get here
but i dont really do a ton of mud wompin so...
anyays aside from that all i got is
welcome to the org

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinOOO9 View Post
Welcome to the org and you came to the right place. A few members can be a little rough around the edges but hearing the same questions millions of times does that hahaha. I would reach out to @[email protected] he run cnc fabrication and is a good sponsor with great prices and can help you choose the tune(s) you want for reliability and some extra performance. Personally 99% the tunes that come with the hydra program are just fine. esp the daily driver and tow files. if you want something little extra I would call dan at sdk performance. google him and you'll see his stuff. there are tons of other tunes and people all have their preference. but again most of the time the tunes that come free in the php hydra software library do just fine for most folks.

Most of the time these trucks came with a limited slip that is less than ideal. pretty cheap to rebuild if your handy and got some time. Reaching out to ARB directly would be the best option though. They are $$$ though so maybe a Detroit set up may be a good middle ground. Also off-road is a subjective term... Maybe some better AT or MT tires would help (they usually do).

AT will have better road manners and do better with snow/ice while MT tires will have a better offroad difference and USUALLY not as good in snow/ice because of the surface area. MT tires only have the lugs touching the ground while AT tires have more of the tire touching etc. Generally speaking of course.

*Just noticed you are running the BFG AT tires. I currently run them and really like them. In mud they are not the best but they weren't built for it. You could always use an air compressor and air down like to like 30ish psi if its only short distances but then you gotta air back up etc. Kind of a double edged sword but aired down tires in a safe manner really help traction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
You will have to take the plug back out and then rotate the crank to get the bolt closer to the inspection hole, then you will be able to see it clearly with a light shining in the hole.

PHP Hydra chip is the best place to start for the most bang for your buck for a power adder.

https://cncfab.us/i-30498022-power-h...php-hydra.html

If the truck still runs great and no engine running issues, just wait until they need to be changed.

With your truck as is with the lift/suspension, I dont think the ARB would be well suited for the price as that truck isn't set up to be an "overland" type truck. Detroit TruTrac would be more suitable for daily driving and some light/med off-road type stuff.

Summit Racing seems to have good pricing on TruTrac's, even though I do carry Eaton line of differentials.

I like mead

early 04 f350 6.0 cclb lariat sr
Bulletproof oil &egr, elc, sct x3, edge CTS, afe intake, blue spring, t-500, MTW stage 2, Vivians looney, 305 x55x20 bfg at ko's, 4 inch cat back, 4"BDS fox shocks and steering stabilizer, tri pilar gauge set, coolant filter, riff raff boots, new headliner, 7 inch touch screen w/back up, new carpet, near whole new interior,

FederalOwnershipRespectfullyDeclined

post #7 of 7 Old 10-16-2019, 11:22 AM
california deplorable

Mentioned: 432 Post(s)
Quoted: 3140 Post(s)
i will add my first experience with the mud here was on a lunch break from a job i had when i first moved here. took my old 72 blazer up a hill to wath a storm blow in and have lunch
it came great show started raining and wheen i headed down no brakes what so ever and just skied my truck down the hill in the ruts i followed up with very little steering control and no brakes what so ever
this was with newish mudders that had NEVER failed to dig for me before.
tried to climb back up the hill to check it out becasue i couldnt believe how slick it got ...
aaaaaaand fell on my arse instantly
so to be fair nothing does much in the volcanic clay mud we get here even chains

I like mead

early 04 f350 6.0 cclb lariat sr
Bulletproof oil &egr, elc, sct x3, edge CTS, afe intake, blue spring, t-500, MTW stage 2, Vivians looney, 305 x55x20 bfg at ko's, 4 inch cat back, 4"BDS fox shocks and steering stabilizer, tri pilar gauge set, coolant filter, riff raff boots, new headliner, 7 inch touch screen w/back up, new carpet, near whole new interior,

FederalOwnershipRespectfullyDeclined

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode