Just Bought my first 7.3 would like some advice! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Introductions This is the place that you introduce yourself

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 09-20-2019, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just Bought my first 7.3 would like some advice!

Hi, My name is Capt. Max, I just purchased my first 7.3 2001 model Lariat. Wanted to introduce myself and ask a couple questions about my Truck. I have put a cold air intake, 4"turbo back kit with no muffler! "is this a good idea" I was told the old kits had mufflers with them and it seems the newer kits do not have them? And a Ts6 performance chip. I set the performance chip to 50 hp increase, but it has 5 more options, 75hp, 100hp, 125, and 200. what should I run it on for daily driving for best performance and reliability! I do not want to hurt my truck or decrease the life of the motor.

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated!
thanks, max
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	truck pic 4.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	402.5 KB
ID:	723349   Click image for larger version

Name:	truck pic3.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	509.9 KB
ID:	723351  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-20-2019, 07:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Haines View Post
Hi, My name is Capt. Max, I just purchased my first 7.3 2001 model Lariat. Wanted to introduce myself and ask a couple questions about my Truck. I have put a cold air intake, 4"turbo back kit with no muffler! "is this a good idea" I was told the old kits had mufflers with them and it seems the newer kits do not have them? And a Ts6 performance chip. I set the performance chip to 50 hp increase, but it has 5 more options, 75hp, 100hp, 125, and 200. what should I run it on for daily driving for best performance and reliability! I do not want to hurt my truck or decrease the life of the motor.

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated!
thanks, max
Welcome aboard

Having no muffler as far as I know will not hurt anything other than making it a little louder than most, as far as what setting to use for the extra horse power is what you feel good driving. My dually loves the 100HP performance tune, and my F-250 really drives well in 120HP tune. I don't trash my trucks which is also what keeps them happy. I don't WOT hardly at all and never from a start, where i really get into the throttle is the on ramp for the interstate.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-20-2019, 07:54 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the truck. There are some great mods that really depend on your budget and needs. What do you plan on using the truck for?

Biggest single piece of advice: regular fluid and filter changes and for filters esp oil/fuel stick with motorcraft.

Some very common mods for even daily driving and towing:

1. monitor system: hands down second to none is the edge insight monitor with the egt probe kit. reads codes, set alerts, maintenance tracker, diagnostics to read sensors and much more.

2. transmission cooler upgrade: Fords oem unit is a disgrace flat out... MANY install a cooler from a 6.0L and plenty of kits and instructions online. I saw a 25 degree difference empty and even when towing the 35ft 5th wheel and skidsteer and lumber. worth every penny!

3. turbo wheel upgrade the wicked wheel 2 from riffraff diesel performance: Esp for those towing the oem wheel had the infamous turbo surge and this eliminates it and provides a few more psi boost and tiny bit lower egts. nothing crazy but helpful.

4. intake: probably the three most popular are: 6637 DIY kit riffraff diesel also sells the kit, then the AIS Severe duty intake kit from Ford (I run this), and then the S&B air kit which seems very popular.

5. exhaust: many upgrade to a 4in kit but even a small upgraded tire 285/75r16 has trouble fitting without adding some reflective material to keep the tire from getting hot. so I just removed the muffler and run a straight pipe 3.5in oem exhaust. small boost and little low end grunt and maybe an ever so slightly less egt.

6. shift kit; super common to get a modified valvebody from BTS, John woods. takes 30 minutes to install and you call John woods and have him customize it. Not crazy dramatic but made a big enough difference for me firming up the shifts without tuning etc.

I wont get into tuning, injectors, or replacement turbos as that's not my style. I run the php hydra which is the standard replace for the ts 6 pos chip for many reasons but I don't run with a tune hardly ever. In fact the hydra has been in a box for over a year lol.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Justin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-20-2019, 08:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Welcome to the ORG!

Great reliable truck you’ve got! Take good care of her and it will repay you!

I would run it on the 100 at most for longevity! Congrats and enjoy that baby!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Alex Scheidler

-
-
post #5 of 7 Old 09-20-2019, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Garage
to the ORG Cap!!

If you haven't yet, take a look @ the Ford Powerstroke 99-03 7.3L Forums - Good info / Helpful members in there! Be sure to check out the Tech Files sub-forum also.

Good lookin' truck!!

I put a MBRP 4" Turbo-back exhaust on mine. I decided to put the muffler on. There was 2 ways to do it. 1 way 'scooped' the exhaust (best way I can describe it) into the muffler "stuffing," the other way was more 'flow-through.' (essentially straight pipe) I went flow-through. Not too noisy, for me anyway.

I second the 6.0L trans cooler install. The factory one for this truck is a 9-row cooler. One of the best mods I've done. If you tow heavy (I tow a 12k Fifth Wheel), it will definitely keep your trans cooler.

Darryl | Owner/Operator
Truck | 2001 F350 CCLB

5th Wheel |

Proud Veteran | US Navy - '76-'80 - Petty Officer 2nd Class (E5)
post #6 of 7 Old 09-20-2019, 01:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
I wouldn't run that chip above the 50 HP setting until you have boost, egt, and transmission temp gauges.

00 f250 ext. cab, lb, 4x4, 158,000, zf 6 speed, South Bend 1944ofe, 4 in lift, 315/75/16 Courser MXTs, rear Detroit locker, PMF traction bars, Full Force 180/80 injectors, php hydra, Riff Raff frx, Riff Raff billet compressor wheel, Dieselsite pre pump kit, Dorman up pipes,IAH delete, ccv mod, 6637 filter, Auto Meter gauges, scan guage 2, 4 in diamod eye straight pipe 6 in tip.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-20-2019, 07:44 PM
Fire From the Clouds!

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Unless that's an older picture are you sure that's a 4" exhaust? It looks stock.

Other then being louder, a straight pipe will result in lower EGT's. Which is good.

What brand cold air intake did you put? All of them are pretty much good except the K&N. While K&N is good for cars, their diesel products aren't very good.

I wouldn't daily drive it past the 50hp unless you plan on some more serious mods and wouldn't go past 100hp at all.

Some kind of monitor setup; physical gauges, Edge CTS2, or Bluetooth OBD2 to an android device should be on the list next as well as a 6.0 or Mishimoto trans cooler.

2002 Ford F350-Lariat-CrewCab-LongBed-7.3L PowerStroke Intercooled Turbo Diesel!
2.5 PMF lift on 325/60r20 Nitto M/T's
Enough Stuff To Pull Yours!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode