• 1 Post By SuperCrutyPS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 01-04-2017, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New from Canada- from GM to Ford

Hey all. Over the last few months I've spent a lot of time browsing this forum and I figured it was time to sign up. Recently, I've decided to make a brand switch, and I wanted to share my latest experiences with you guys, introduce myself, and establish myself here on the forum before my future purchase.

So my previous truck history pretty much consists of all GM's both gas and diesel. I'm not a brand loyal fan boy, but our local dealer had been great to us (my wife also drives a 13 terrain set) and i can honestly say that except for a TPS sensor on 1 of the previous truck out of 5's, I had 0 issues throughout either of there lives. THAT BEUING SAID, I feel as if I have just grown out of GM, and it is definitely time for a change. They seem to have dropped the ball on a lot of things, and as I've gotten older and grown my own family, it is definitely time for some thing new. Coming from GM to Ford, I thought some of you may want to hear the things I've grown to dislike about GM. Most are petty, but they add up, and at the cost of the new trucks you best have everything you want IMO. So, here goes.....

1) Lack of adequate cab space on all GM body styles INCLUDING the 15+. I'm 6'3 and we have a 16 month old son. I usually carry a few work items in my cab along with his car seat, and there is virtually no room to store any amount of stuff let alone comfortably seat a full grown adult. Head on a family road trip and by the time the wife gets her luggage in and we pack for the baby, the cab is rounded. This was fine at first, but we have REALLY grown to hate this. It's kind of pathetic really.

2) No rear cabin ducting, or heated rear seat option. Pretty self explanatory here, in order to keep rear passengers warm, I have to cook upfront. Even when they do get warm, there buts are always cold due to a non existent rear seat heater.

3)GMT 900 frame design hangs below the body considerably, the factory coating has been complete garbage for years and makes the truck look like a rust bucket within the first 30,000 km's. I may also add here the hideous def tank and the length it hangs below the body, but, I usually delete my trucks and remove the tank anyway.

4) Square wheel wells with minimal room for clearance. My big lifted days with massive tires are over, however, I do like a nice level with a 20x10/20x12 tire combo. This requires surgery on most all GM body styles. Not a huge deal, but I'm looking forward to just levelling and bolting on a combo of my choice and enjoying it.

5)Underbuilt front end components. Although I've never had a failure, the HD GM trucks have some pretty skinny components wrapped up in that IFS front end. Not something i feel the consumer should have to pay to upgrade just to gain reasonable strength.

I have a few more things I dislike, but we'll leave it at that. I understand this post is getting long, but I'd like to share with you guys my view on the power stroke and what brought me to my decision. It goes like this....

My father in law operates a fairly busy oilfield company as well as a large farm. Both him and his father have always been ford guys, therefore the entire fleet of trucks consists of power strokes ranging from 7.3's to 6.7's and everything in between. In regards to the 6.7's, the newest is a 12 DRW and I must say they haven't had the best of luck with them. That being said, they tow heavy equipment on goosenecks massively over weight, and beat the living crap out of this trucks in the oilfield. They are far from an easy life, and as a result have had turbos, trannys, and complete engines replaced.

Reflecting back on my past opinion, I naturally always doubted Ford. Im not in to old motors like the 7.3, they just don't suit me. Bulletproofed or not, you couldn't pay me to gamble a 6.0, and I've known WAY to many people with one issue after the other when the 6.4 showed up. When the 1st and 2nd gen 6.7's came about, didn't give them the time of day, honestly, for know reason at all.

Fast forward to this past week. I've been a GM guy with good luck, My best friend and his wife have been cummins with great luck also. He just recently cold his ram, and after going payment free for a while has decided to purchase again. Him and I both agreed perhaps it was time for a change. He isn't a fan of the new GM's nor previous, and I've always been interested in the cummins motor, but got turned away every time because most all of the ram trucks fall apart around the motor. They feel VERY cheaply made IMO. So, we end up at the local Ford dealer New Years day. Spotted 2 beautiful 16 F350 Lariats ultimates loaded one being stock black and the other in bronze fir with the 3" ready lift SST kit 35's and rims and some black accenting. To be honest, I fell in love with both instantly and he was pretty interested. They were closed, and Jeff had to return home after staying with us over the holidays. The next day ( yesterday) I whent back to the dealer and took both trucks out for 2-3 hours a piece, to go over them top to bottom and get a feel for the stock ride vs the level ride with 35's. Needless to say the service from ford was second to none and I was offered to keep BOTH trucks overnight and into the next day. I face timed Jeff as we reviewed both trucks and all features inside and out, it wasn't hard for him to make his decision. The Bronze fire lariat is currently being prepped for his delivery.

As for myself, I to will be making the jump to an F350 lariat. I won't get into detail about everything I loved about the truck, because I loved literally everything. That is hands down the nicest most functional truck I've ever had the pleasure of driving. It is perfect for me and my family and looks damn good doing it. I won't be trading in until next year sometime, so I may be in a 16 leftover lariat, or else wait it out another year and get into a 17 lariat. Either way, I'm happy to be hear, and still today am absolutely thrilled to have found love for these newer power strokes. I knew the max world inside and out, it is quite exciting to be researching all the parts and little fixes in regards to a new truck. Thanks for hearing me out all...... thats was F'ing long
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-04-2017, 08:10 AM

Holy cow, nothing about how you met your wife or the day your kids where born?
Just kidding! Welcome to Powerstroke.org!!!
STROKED902 likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-04-2017, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tone View Post
Holy cow, nothing about how you met your wife or the day your kids where born?
Just kidding! Welcome to Powerstroke.org!!!
Thanks Big Tone, if I was to write about those 2 events it would be so long I may crash the forum server lol! Was quite active on the dmax forums and always tried to keep things short..... typing isn't my forte
WD40 and Big Tone like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-04-2017, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Garage
to the ORG - Glad to have you!
STROKED902 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Darryl | Owner/Operator
Truck | 2001 F350 CCLB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

5th Wheel |

Proud Veteran | US Navy - '76-'80 - Petty Officer 2nd Class (E5)
post #5 of 5 Old 01-04-2017, 08:58 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Welcome to the ORG.
Doug

2006 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Lariat 4X2 PSD 6.0 TorqShift Automatic Transmission. Upfitter Switchers Chrome Door Handles,
Oxford White with lower part being Arizona Beige Metallic.
Creative Coating Sprayed in bed liner.
20K Reese 5th wheel hitch.
Mods. 4in. Silverline stainless steel exhaust
BD Diesel XMonitor
Bama ZooDad

35 HitchHiker
Is it time to go camping?

EX-USN
Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode