Blackstone oil comparison for Rotella T vs T6, and Amsoil (soon) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By The Evil Twin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 12-21-2019, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Blackstone oil comparison for Rotella T vs T6, and Amsoil (soon)

Hello,

I've been involved in engine stuff, whether it be with bikes, cars, atvs, etc since I was a child. I'm sure that you know, one of the most intensely discussed topics is oil. Instead of going through theory of oil use and such, I'm testing them. I figured I'll run a few different oils through my truck using an 8k mile OCI, and compare them. This way, in 5-10 years when I get a newer diesel, I'll know which oil is the absolute best and can use that exclusively. My truck has almost 270k on it. It's entire life it has ran on standard Rotella T. Since I heard that they changed their formula, I put into motion my test, and switched to T6, planning on using that anyway. I'm an Amsoil dealer, and when I finished the OCI on T6, I switched to Amsoil Signature Diesel. Another 10 months or so and I'll be able to show data for that. In this chart, you will notice that the last time I had T in the engine, I had 3 qts I had to fill. I think that was a bit of an exaggeration, I think I only really used 2. That is also partially because I overfilled it slightly, and I think some of the oil burned off. But still, that's a quart more than with T6. Curious to see how Amsoil does, and if anyone has suggestions for the next oil to test out. Hope this helps some of you.

Another fun tip of this report, is that it shows me using longer OCIs for oil when using the old Rotella T formula. 4.5k to 6.5k, and finally to 8k. Absolutely no reason not to run 8k, and I would believe that's with any decent diesel motor oil. Happy holidays! I'm subscribed to this thread so I'll get notifications if there are any questions. Otherwise I'll post back up in 10 months or so when it's time for another fill.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blackstone t6vst.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	771.9 KB
ID:	726385  

'01 F350 7.3l SRW CC 4x4 Lariat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-21-2019, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
How much does oil analysis cost and how often do you have it done?

Sent from my Vivo XI PLUS using Tapatalk
post #3 of 7 Old 12-21-2019, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

It isn't that bad, I think it's just under $40 with the tbn which tells you how long the oil could've gone. I do it every 30k-40k on most cars. With the truck because I'm testing stuff, I'm doing it more often. With wife's car it's about every 4 7k oil changes. I use Supertech synthetic in her's. Been fantastic for the last 40k.

The Following User Says Thank You to carlspeed For This Useful Post:
6riders (12-21-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-22-2019, 05:23 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Funny you post this. I'm nearing my 2nd OCI with AMSOIL 5w40. After that, I was going to send a sample in. There is so much residual oil left in these motors that running one crank full after the 10w30 would not give true results IMO.
carlspeed likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Oil Burner
CCLB Lariat Ultimate, 10k, Plow Package.
Mods have begun: 2wd Valance, Bully Dog GT, smoked lenses
post #5 of 7 Old 12-23-2019, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
So I don't know what to look for with these numbers...what does it tell the difference is between T and T6? Is there any advantage to run the T6 according to the oil analysis?
post #6 of 7 Old 01-03-2020, 05:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onecrazyfoo4u View Post
So I don't know what to look for with these numbers...what does it tell the difference is between T and T6? Is there any advantage to run the T6 according to the oil analysis?
In my opinion, no. These numbers are extremely close. My only concern would be that I have heard Rotella T has changed to Rotella T5, and it is no longer as good of an oil. It's also no longer recommended for motorcycle purposes like the old T was. I'm sure the oil is fine, and they simply added some type of additive that is not good for old diesel motors or motorcycles. I'm not sure, but the $5-$10 more for a gallon of T6 will be what I do in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
Funny you post this. I'm nearing my 2nd OCI with AMSOIL 5w40. After that, I was going to send a sample in. There is so much residual oil left in these motors that running one crank full after the 10w30 would not give true results IMO.
That makes sense, I didn't think of that. I guess I'll do the Amsoil sample, and then do one more sample afterward. You think that would be reasonable enough?

post #7 of 7 Old 01-03-2020, 05:50 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlspeed View Post
That makes sense, I didn't think of that. I guess I'll do the Amsoil sample, and then do one more sample afterward. You think that would be reasonable enough?
As long as the viscosity was the same, I would think so. I went from 10-30 (used that because I was only towing <5000 pounds less than 3k a year) to the 5-40. Not sure how much oil these motors hide but I figured a sample would be diluted enough to skew the results. Like tasting wine or bourbon, always use a new glass!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Oil Burner
CCLB Lariat Ultimate, 10k, Plow Package.
Mods have begun: 2wd Valance, Bully Dog GT, smoked lenses
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode