Truck Undriveable- Bad Dealer Experience - Advice/Ideas/Thoughts - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 11-20-2019, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck Undriveable- Bad Dealer Experience - Advice/Ideas/Thoughts

So here’s the deal - due to bad judgement, luck, and service, I’m in a stupid situation and need some advice, because I’m at a loss here. Anybody’s input is requested here and I’m super frustrated, extremely bummed out, and stressed how to go about things. While this is a pretty long post I wanted to make sure I was thorough.

Quick initial summary: CEL light came on, took truck to dealer. Code cleared and truck picked up. Same CEL back on within minutes of leaving lot and taken back. Dealer Round 2: code cleared and truck released. CEL back on within 10 miles. Dealer lies about maintenance done. Took back to dealer, told EGR valve needs replaced and is under warranty. All parts and maintenance will be covered under warranty, but part is on national back order so truck is released till part ready (could be months). Pick up truck from dealer and told drive it as usual and any damage caused by relative parts will be covered by claim. Pulling out of the lot and have very low acceleration/ power/throttle for a minute, so I call and am told bring back when able. End up having to get it towed to dealer, and got loaner assigned for only 3 days. Told call Ford Care and they will give loaner. Ford Care explains I’m not eligible. Truck is at shop and is undriveable but under warranty.

Now the detailed breakdown.

My Truck: 2018 Ford F-250 6.7 purchased with 27xxx miles on it in August. Added on comprehensive extended bumper to bumper warranty. Current mileage 34xxx

Truck ran fine for first 5k miles and then CEL light came on.
Shows Code for p0402 (egr - flow excessive) Dropped off at dealer and after 4 days the Dealer says they were referred to tsb and did an update on truck. No charge - under warranty.
Heat was also was not working so they replaced actuator with no charge and under warranty - all good.

Told truck is good to go and pick it up. CEL back on within minutes, same code. Call dealer and told bring it back, and that it is okay to drive until brought back in. I also talked to other dealer and they said same thing - ok to drive day to day till it can be brought in.

Take truck back to dealer and leave it. Get the below texts (verbatim) from fords messaging with the guy I’ve been working with.

DEALER: “Hello, i just spoke to the tech and the code are related to the air flow into the engine and he said the air filter is dusty and an aftermarket one. he is recommending to install the factory and put the truck through a good drive cycle Reply STOP to OptOut.”
ME: “ok whats cost look like and what do I need to do to make sure it goes through good drive cycle”
DEALER: “clearing codes and driving the truck to full operating temp then cooling it down and doing it a second time. one thing if this takes care of the issue it is not under warranty. we would be looking at $199.00 before taxes. please let me know”

Me being out of town and needing vehicle ASAP when back i said ok - Go ahead and do it. Dealer let’s me know testing went well and truck is good to go. So i pick it up.

CEL code back on within 10 miles. This time showing p00bc (mass airflow circuit). At that point I’m pissed off and thinking what the **** are they dojng. I look at my truck dash and notice the truck mileage never changed from drop off and they never actually drove the truck “to operating temps” or left lot with it. Just changed out my newish air filter for no reason and charged $200 for part/labor. Hmm.

I of course call them back and the guy apologizes saying some about how the diesel tech was supposed to take it out and there was a communication error and how he is going to refund. He acted like he was caught lying for the record. So stupid me - I appreciate the way he handled it and told me to bring it in since he said it’ll get looked at immediately. At this point I’m just trying to finish getting this issue resolved with them and the planning to go another dealer going forward.

So it’s in the shop and same day the dealer texts me saying verbatim:

DEALER: “Hello we are getting the EGR valve replaced and it looks like ambient temp sensor also, all covered by the factory warranty Reply STOP to OptOut.”
ME: “ok will it be ready by end of day. “ *no reply*. “Hey I tried calling can you give me an update? I’m flying back and land in a couple hours. Will it be ready or do I come in for a loaner?”
DEALER: “Hello, The egr valve is on back order as of right now, we will release the truck to you and when the part comes in we can get you back in, we are here till 7pm”
ME: “what is time frame on part”
DEALER: “being on back order we are not sure we are trying to get an update for a time line”

So I call and the guy says it’s all covered but until fords national back order is lifted they can’t get the part. Could be days or months. I am also *pretty* sure he said they changed a sensor (the MAP sensor) but still needed EGR valve to complete.

So I go pick up truck and am happy it’s diagnosed but pissed there’s no eta on the part. Whatever. Just want to leave and go somewhere else going forward. As I’m driving out the lot I notice a acceleration/power/throttle issue. While pushing the pedal down there was very little acceleration (like >10mph) So I go down street and turn down a side street To pull over. I restart truck and it is now driving fine. I call ford pissed off and the guy just says the “bring it in - until we look at it we don’t know” spiel. Since it’s driving ok I get home and use it for a day. I don’t have the ability to get it in for a day but plan to bring in the following.
Drives ok during light use then then next day i go to start it and the same problem is back - low power accelerating and can’t get it to drive. In park it rev’s fine. When shifted in drive it does just about nothing. So i drive it about .1 miles and get off the road to a parking lot. I already have a service appintement for another dealer but that’s still a week out based on their schedule.

So i call back the same ford hoping to talk to manageand they actually do help me with ford roadside assistance to get it towed in and do help get me a loaner. Again - I’m pissed off but my hope is that we can just fix this ****ing thing and i can never go back there since it’s all under warranty. Not too many options.

While at dealer after the tow I ask the dude working to get a copy of all their reporting and open ticket info/ notes from diesel tech. He said there are no notes entered and diesel tech will add them when the ticket is closed. I ask “if this takes months are you saying the diesel tech is going to remember every detail from the day he diagnosed my egr valve.” He said yes. In my head I’m strangling him. But anyway since he is not in the loop on my claim I don’t blame him and ask for as much info as he can give me. I took picture of computer screen with my ticket info and it shows that I need MAP sensor, egr valve, and some gaskets. That guy says no To it being replaced but I still am 99% sure they replaced the map sensor and did something with the gaskets since they’re not on special order. MAP sensor could effect airflow and power right?

*here is picture of the open ticket
https://m.imgur.com/gallery/aF4cGR9
Anyone have any incite?

So, I got it towed to the dealer yesterday and today the dealer called to say that I need to call ford customer care and that they will set me up with a long term loaner. I call customer care and they of course tell me they cannot give me one and that I am not covered for one and that i should consult dealer for loaner. I pushed and pushed and they said there’s no way but they did put in request for a high priority egr valve part. Who knows what that means, but I’m guessing I’m still **** out of luck there. Haven’t gotten ahold of dealer yet. Current loaner looks like it’s scheduled till Friday for me.

To anyone still reading - I’m ****jbg pissed off, in a bad spot, and could use any and all advice. I already realize the things I could have done and should have done better here (not went back to dealer, etc) so I would appreciate no negative talk on this. But no worries if ppl need to say what they need to say.

In any case any help is greatly, greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-21-2019, 02:43 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Get a lawyer....Do not accept the truck after any work is done until AFTER you test drive it.
18M_RWR likes this.

Officially The Biggest Midget In The Game

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 Old 11-21-2019, 06:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Totally understand, I would be super pissed off too after dropping some major coin on a fairly new truck and have all those issues. First thing you need to do is document everything...keep every text, take pictures of everything (parts replaced, odometer). Was the truck completely stock? Or was it just a non motorcraft air filter in it? You may want to start looking into lemon laws for your state...not sure if those apply to a secondary owner though; might just be for original owners.

Did you confront them and show them the proof that the odometer reading did not change as part of there drive cycle test bullcrap they charged you for? Are there any other dealers that are better rated that you could use? Definitely start reading through your warranty coverage. Is a long term rental vehicle fully covered under the warranty?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 11-21-2019, 04:12 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k18sixpoint7 View Post
So here’s the deal - due to bad judgement, luck, and service, I’m in a stupid situation and need some advice, because I’m at a loss here. Anybody’s input is requested here and I’m super frustrated, extremely bummed out, and stressed how to go about things. While this is a pretty long post I wanted to make sure I was thorough.

Quick initial summary: CEL light came on, took truck to dealer. Code cleared and truck picked up. Same CEL back on within minutes of leaving lot and taken back. Dealer Round 2: code cleared and truck released. CEL back on within 10 miles. Dealer lies about maintenance done. Took back to dealer, told EGR valve needs replaced and is under warranty. All parts and maintenance will be covered under warranty, but part is on national back order so truck is released till part ready (could be months). Pick up truck from dealer and told drive it as usual and any damage caused by relative parts will be covered by claim. Pulling out of the lot and have very low acceleration/ power/throttle for a minute, so I call and am told bring back when able. End up having to get it towed to dealer, and got loaner assigned for only 3 days. Told call Ford Care and they will give loaner. Ford Care explains I’m not eligible. Truck is at shop and is undriveable but under warranty.

Now the detailed breakdown.

My Truck: 2018 Ford F-250 6.7 purchased with 27xxx miles on it in August. Added on comprehensive extended bumper to bumper warranty. Current mileage 34xxx

Truck ran fine for first 5k miles and then CEL light came on.
Shows Code for p0402 (egr - flow excessive) Dropped off at dealer and after 4 days the Dealer says they were referred to tsb and did an update on truck. No charge - under warranty.
Heat was also was not working so they replaced actuator with no charge and under warranty - all good.

Told truck is good to go and pick it up. CEL back on within minutes, same code. Call dealer and told bring it back, and that it is okay to drive until brought back in. I also talked to other dealer and they said same thing - ok to drive day to day till it can be brought in.

Take truck back to dealer and leave it. Get the below texts (verbatim) from fords messaging with the guy I’ve been working with.

DEALER: “Hello, i just spoke to the tech and the code are related to the air flow into the engine and he said the air filter is dusty and an aftermarket one. he is recommending to install the factory and put the truck through a good drive cycle Reply STOP to OptOut.”
ME: “ok whats cost look like and what do I need to do to make sure it goes through good drive cycle”
DEALER: “clearing codes and driving the truck to full operating temp then cooling it down and doing it a second time. one thing if this takes care of the issue it is not under warranty. we would be looking at $199.00 before taxes. please let me know”

Me being out of town and needing vehicle ASAP when back i said ok - Go ahead and do it. Dealer let’s me know testing went well and truck is good to go. So i pick it up.

CEL code back on within 10 miles. This time showing p00bc (mass airflow circuit). At that point I’m pissed off and thinking what the **** are they dojng. I look at my truck dash and notice the truck mileage never changed from drop off and they never actually drove the truck “to operating temps” or left lot with it. Just changed out my newish air filter for no reason and charged $200 for part/labor. Hmm.

I of course call them back and the guy apologizes saying some about how the diesel tech was supposed to take it out and there was a communication error and how he is going to refund. He acted like he was caught lying for the record. So stupid me - I appreciate the way he handled it and told me to bring it in since he said it’ll get looked at immediately. At this point I’m just trying to finish getting this issue resolved with them and the planning to go another dealer going forward.

So it’s in the shop and same day the dealer texts me saying verbatim:

DEALER: “Hello we are getting the EGR valve replaced and it looks like ambient temp sensor also, all covered by the factory warranty Reply STOP to OptOut.”
ME: “ok will it be ready by end of day. “ *no reply*. “Hey I tried calling can you give me an update? I’m flying back and land in a couple hours. Will it be ready or do I come in for a loaner?”
DEALER: “Hello, The egr valve is on back order as of right now, we will release the truck to you and when the part comes in we can get you back in, we are here till 7pm”
ME: “what is time frame on part”
DEALER: “being on back order we are not sure we are trying to get an update for a time line”

So I call and the guy says it’s all covered but until fords national back order is lifted they can’t get the part. Could be days or months. I am also *pretty* sure he said they changed a sensor (the MAP sensor) but still needed EGR valve to complete.

So I go pick up truck and am happy it’s diagnosed but pissed there’s no eta on the part. Whatever. Just want to leave and go somewhere else going forward. As I’m driving out the lot I notice a acceleration/power/throttle issue. While pushing the pedal down there was very little acceleration (like >10mph) So I go down street and turn down a side street To pull over. I restart truck and it is now driving fine. I call ford pissed off and the guy just says the “bring it in - until we look at it we don’t know” spiel. Since it’s driving ok I get home and use it for a day. I don’t have the ability to get it in for a day but plan to bring in the following.
Drives ok during light use then then next day i go to start it and the same problem is back - low power accelerating and can’t get it to drive. In park it rev’s fine. When shifted in drive it does just about nothing. So i drive it about .1 miles and get off the road to a parking lot. I already have a service appintement for another dealer but that’s still a week out based on their schedule.

So i call back the same ford hoping to talk to manageand they actually do help me with ford roadside assistance to get it towed in and do help get me a loaner. Again - I’m pissed off but my hope is that we can just fix this ****ing thing and i can never go back there since it’s all under warranty. Not too many options.

While at dealer after the tow I ask the dude working to get a copy of all their reporting and open ticket info/ notes from diesel tech. He said there are no notes entered and diesel tech will add them when the ticket is closed. I ask “if this takes months are you saying the diesel tech is going to remember every detail from the day he diagnosed my egr valve.” He said yes. In my head I’m strangling him. But anyway since he is not in the loop on my claim I don’t blame him and ask for as much info as he can give me. I took picture of computer screen with my ticket info and it shows that I need MAP sensor, egr valve, and some gaskets. That guy says no To it being replaced but I still am 99% sure they replaced the map sensor and did something with the gaskets since they’re not on special order. MAP sensor could effect airflow and power right?

*here is picture of the open ticket
https://m.imgur.com/gallery/aF4cGR9
Anyone have any incite?

So, I got it towed to the dealer yesterday and today the dealer called to say that I need to call ford customer care and that they will set me up with a long term loaner. I call customer care and they of course tell me they cannot give me one and that I am not covered for one and that i should consult dealer for loaner. I pushed and pushed and they said there’s no way but they did put in request for a high priority egr valve part. Who knows what that means, but I’m guessing I’m still **** out of luck there. Haven’t gotten ahold of dealer yet. Current loaner looks like it’s scheduled till Friday for me.

To anyone still reading - I’m ****jbg pissed off, in a bad spot, and could use any and all advice. I already realize the things I could have done and should have done better here (not went back to dealer, etc) so I would appreciate no negative talk on this. But no worries if ppl need to say what they need to say.

In any case any help is greatly, greatly appreciated

I don't think you should be surrendering that loaner vehicle anytime soon. Dealers understand leverage like that and will most will jump through whatever hoops necessary to complete your truck in a more timely manner.

It sounds like you bought the truck from a dealer. If so, your state surely has lemon laws and if they haven't expired, this might be an avenue to explore. Even if they have expired, the mechanical problems happened during the time-frame. At the very least, threatening an action like this usually produces quick results.
post #5 of 14 Old 11-21-2019, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Update - Dealer texted me tn and said it’s the EGR valve and I had to return the rental they had gotten me because they will not pay after tonight. (That’s great because at 5pm it’s so easy to find a rental for work for the next day.) he said the trucks lack of power is not from when they replacing the MAP sensor last week.

So I call the service guy who says they can’t do anything until the part comes in. I call the ford customer service line back and they say no update of course.

With that said - now I have a truck at this shop not getting worked on and they want it to sit there till the EGR valve comes off of back order. I am at the point I don’t even believe they have diagnosed this.

So I ask the guy what to i need to do if I need to get it towed out of there (so it’s not sitting there) and this is where it gets funnier. He says if I take it somewhere else then he will close out the ticket and “we’re done” and i will not be on the list for the part. I’ll have to restart with the what ever dealer I go to. I’m sure he can do that if he wants, but what (i feel) is ****ed up is he makes the point that by the way they are not liable for any damage incurred while there and that sometimes they move the truck to the street because they need the space. And it sits there - and if ppl from the apartments break into it that’s on me. I’m sure they need the space but I still think that is ****ed and a dog**** way to treat vehicles that are there.

At this point I’m hoping a couple of my other things work out. I called the ford Dealer that I purchased the truck at and they said they’re talking to other dealers to see if they can get the part. Maybe not true, but was nice to hear and the manager went out of way to text me and connect me with a guy who knows ford trucks that works there.

I’ll open it up to everyone here for thoughts on next steps. The truck is sitting at dealer, not being looked at or worked on and could be there weeks or months. It looks like i don’t have any reimbursement or fords help with a vehicle in the mean time per the dealer and ford customer service (aka an Indian call center).

I am waiting to hear back from place I bought at about other dealers and the valve, and going to stop in tomorrow where my truck is to see if the service managers boss is in. Perfect timing but the service manger is on vacation for a week.

Again, I’m numb to this and it is what it is at this point but I’d love to hear people’s thoughts.
post #6 of 14 Old 11-22-2019, 05:12 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Scratch my "lemon law" remarks, I mistakenly thought you were the original owner. Sorry.
post #7 of 14 Old 11-22-2019, 07:26 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Start looking into your warranty paperwork. Is it supposed to cover a long term rental? If so, for how long? If that doesn't cover a rental, then your auto insurance should have rental coverage maybe? Do not pay for a rental...because they will never backpay you.
post #8 of 14 Old 11-22-2019, 11:12 AM
Fire From the Clouds!

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Or you know, just delete the truck and be done with the egr system as a whole.

2002 Ford F350-Lariat-CrewCab-LongBed-7.3L PowerStroke Intercooled Turbo Diesel!
2.5 PMF lift on 325/60r20 Nitto M/T's
Enough Stuff To Pull Yours!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 14 Old 11-22-2019, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
I'm not one to run to a lawyer but with everything you have detailed to this point and especially with their recent statement they are not responsible if your vehicle is damaged or broken into while at their facility but that you have to leave it there I would definitely be taking Heavy's advice and getting a lawyer ASAP. There is nothing right about this situation at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyAssault View Post
Get a lawyer....Do not accept the truck after any work is done until AFTER you test drive it.

μολὼν λαβέ | si vis pa·​cem, pa·​ra bel·​lum
2016 F350 Lariat 6.7L CCLB DRW 4WD 4.30LS
HiCap-TowPkg, PlowPkg-ExtraHD Alt, WideTrack frt axle, Max frt springs
Sinister ColdSide Charge Pipe, OBDLinkMX+ MonitorApp on Fire7 tablet
post #10 of 14 Old 11-22-2019, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,125 Times in 2,033 Posts
Mentioned: 431 Post(s)
Quoted: 3135 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
In any situation you have a decision.

time/money/quality.

You only get two, so if you have no time but you have the money then take the truck to a shop that can fix it and ride on.

If you dont have time, and you want to have the warranty cover it, then you wait or supply the OEM part yourself.

Have you even called other dealers or @fordsvtparts to see if/when the part is out?

Or even talked to @[email protected] about an aftermarket part?

GD

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
So says the internet... ...and so it shall be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
OK, thanks for the info. To show my ignorance, what is the problem with 3 nipples...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode