Fuel additive ratios don't make sense... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By nondem
  • 1 Post By Work Truck Fanatic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 11-20-2019, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel additive ratios don't make sense...

Please excuse my ignorance here...I dunno what I'm talking about so I am open to an informed opinion.
Speaking of fuel additives - I have religiously used fuel additives since I brought my truck home. The primary reason I use a fuel additive is for the lubricity improvement. I understand the extreme high-pressure fuel pump is lubricated by only the fuel and that modern diesel fuel in the US is less of a lubricant than it was in the past due to the reduction of sulfur among other things. I'm hoping to extend the life of my pump and injectors.
It doesn't seem like the volume ratios involved would be good enough to make a difference.
Could someone explain why just a few ounces of additive that does several things in addition to improving lubricity can make a meaningful difference in up to hundreds of gallons of fuel? These are astronomical ratios...
HeavyAssault likes this.

2017 F350 XLT DRW 6.7 Crew Cab FX4
No Emissions Deletes.
ForScan Mods:
Added DPF Filter Info Screen
Average Speed Screen
Climate Control Screen added to Sync 3
Enabled Navi entry while moving
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-20-2019, 05:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Not sure anything works for hundreds of gallons. Maybe 2 tanks of fuel.

Lets say 4oz treats 40 gallon.

You run the tank down to 10 gallons(guage almost reads empty at this point)

Theres 1oz left.

You fill back up.

New ratio is 1oz to 40 gallons. Still helping a little.

By the third tank its down to almost nothing.

This is how i understand it. Could be wrong.

03 7.3l 550, FRx, 6637 mod, 4 inch turbo back, ccv delete, aih delete, HPx, Riffraffs OCR, Turbo-pyro-boost-coolant EV2 gauges, Bullydog GT tuner.

03 X 6.0 175/30 warren sticks, Livewire TS w/ warren tunes, Blue spring mod, atlas 40 ficm, 270amp dc power alt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy_GD View Post
goats lives matter.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-21-2019, 02:45 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Aside from a chemical change in the whole mix I totally agree with the OP in the ratios and our "expectations".

Officially The Biggest Midget In The Game

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old Yesterday, 06:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I understand the world by way of analogies. That being said I urge you all to buy a container of concentrated juice of your choice. Pour some into a shot glass and down in. The first time I did this was with Ocean Spray Cranberry juice concentrate. To this day, just the though of it makes my lips pucker and my eyes squint.

This is how I look at the additives. They are very concentrated liquids. I maybe wrong but I think they work that way.

I'd like to say I learned my lesson but we use to dare each other with shots of soda concentrate when I worked in fast food as a teen. But this can be dangerous so DO NOT TRY AT HOME!! Learn from my mistakes!
The Evil Twin likes this.
post #5 of 7 Old Yesterday, 07:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
^^ I think you nailed it. Like food coloring, when only a small concentrated amount is used it can change a large volume of product. Chlorine in water is another example.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Oil Burner
CCLB Lariat Ultimate, 10k, Plow Package.
Mods have begun: 2wd Valance, Bully Dog GT, smoked lenses
post #6 of 7 Old Yesterday, 08:28 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
The two elements that need to be considered are Sulfur and Hydrogen. Sulfur in and of itself isnít a lubricant in diesel. The tree huggers like ulsd because itís less polluting. Sulfur will also contaminate your oil faster, so ulsd is good in the fact that it somewhat extends oil life. Sulfur reacts with oxygen and water vapor to form sulfuric acid.

ULSD is 15 ppm sulfur vs 500 ppm for lsd. In order to remove the sulfur, the oil is treated with hydrogen (hydroprocessed)-much like crisco but without adding nickel or palladium (hydrogenated). The problem is hydrogen is fairly reactive; it likes forming different compounds. The issue for diesel fuel is that hydrogen also lowers cetane and polar and aromatic compounds as a result. Basically any additive for diesel regarding lubricity will help offset the problem. It just depends on cost vs reward.

Penn state did some research, and found that a 20% mixture of biodiesel offers the same lubricity as lsd. Then they went a step further. They added vegetable oil-2% I think. Everyone has their preference on which additive they use. I have mine as well. Me personally, I keep a syringe with my preferred ****tail and add just before the nozzle goes in. The ratio isnít scientific, but I typically refuel when it gets to 1/4 tank.
post #7 of 7 Old Today, 03:32 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Looking at one brand fuel additive here Hot Shots: Some of their products are 1oz to 10 gallons and even 1oz to 25 gallons. I can understand the fuel improvers being "concentrated"...but can it really add that much lubrication to help our HPFP???

I'm trying a new mix adding in some 2 stroke to see for myself any results. Right now it seems as there is decreased motor noise. I got some HWY driving coming soon so I'll have some experience there as well. I'll be decreasing the ounces of 2 stroke after a few more tanks of this mix.

Officially The Biggest Midget In The Game

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode