Is Hot Shots FR3 Legit or Snake Oil? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

5Likes
  • 1 Post By SuperCrutyPS
  • 1 Post By Heavy_GD
  • 1 Post By JustinOOO9
  • 1 Post By onecrazyfoo4u
  • 1 Post By Heavy_GD

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 02-07-2019, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Hot Shot Secret FR3 Friction Reducer...anyone tried it?

I've had great luck with HSS Stiction Reducer, and their Diesel Extreme and EDT fuel additives....but I recently saw that now they make some new FR3 Friction Reducer additive. It's supposed to increase MPG, make things run smoother...etc, etc.

Has anyone tried this stuff? Snake oil? Or worth a try?

Just wondering.

Thanks!

2005 F250 6.0 PSD, ARP Studs, Felpro HG's, EGR Delete, IPR Coolant Filter, Blue Spring Mod, IDP Custom Tunes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-05-2019, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Is Hot Shots FR3 Legit or Snake Oil?

I saw this article and thought it couldn't be true...adding one quart of oil additive to gain 2mpg??? Has anybody used FR3 additive with any legitimate results, or is it just another snake oil? Says it improved mileage and made the engine much more quiet. I would love to quiet down this clanky loud 6.4l!
https://www.dieselarmy.com/engine-te...t-to-the-test/

Seems too good to be true of course...
post #3 of 10 Old 11-05-2019, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Garage
Personally, I've tried several additives including HSS. I haven't noticed any increase in MPG. I'd be interested to see how THEY gauge it. Real world road driving, to me, there are too many variable from tank to tank to measure a 2 mpg increase.

I don't drive EXACTLY the same way every mile I travel. Different routes, different terrain, does someone tick you off so you floor it to "Show them a thing or two," stuck in rush hour traffic..........etc. Just My opinion.
onecrazyfoo4u likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Darryl | Owner/Operator
Truck | 2001 F350 7.3L CCLB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

5th Wheel |

Proud US Navy Veteran | '76-'80 - Petty Officer 2nd Class (E5) - U.S.S. Point Defiance (LSD-31) - 'Gator Navy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 11-05-2019, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,125 Times in 2,033 Posts
Mentioned: 431 Post(s)
Quoted: 3135 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
One of the major killers in not only diesel engines, but all engines, is friction, which produces excess heat. As internal parts wear and tear, the heat and friction slow the rotating assembly down, resulting in a loss in horsepower and torque output of the engine. So, what if we had an additive that would virtually erase this problem in all engines? FR3 is doing just that.

Per the recommendations, adding one treatment of FR3 to the oil per oil change will help the engine run cooler and have increased power and performance. With a specially formulated additive such as this one, the engine should run smoother and free up some of that much-needed performance.
JustinOOO9 likes this.

GD

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
So says the internet... ...and so it shall be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
OK, thanks for the info. To show my ignorance, what is the problem with 3 nipples...
post #5 of 10 Old 11-05-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
I've had great luck with HSS Stiction Reducer, and their Diesel Extreme and EDT fuel additives....but I recently saw that now they make some new FR3 Friction Reducer additive. It's supposed to increase MPG, make things run smoother...etc, etc.

Has anyone tried this stuff? Snake oil? Or worth a try?

Just wondering.

Thanks!
Did you ever try out this FR3 additive? Curious if it provided any increase in mpg or sound reduction of the engine?
post #6 of 10 Old 11-05-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCrutyPS View Post
Personally, I've tried several additives including HSS. I haven't noticed any increase in MPG. I'd be interested to see how THEY gauge it. Real world road driving, to me, there are too many variable from tank to tank to measure a 2 mpg increase.

I don't drive EXACTLY the same way every mile I travel. Different routes, different terrain, does someone tick you off so you floor it to "Show them a thing or two," stuck in rush hour traffic..........etc. Just My opinion.
Thanks for the post. I'm leary of oil additives producing any actual results. The fuel additives for diesels I have definitely seen an improvement in mpg that pays for the product itself...
post #7 of 10 Old 11-05-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy_GD View Post
I think I missed something. What are you getting at Heavy_GD...snake oil advertisement?
post #8 of 10 Old 11-05-2019, 11:23 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1632 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by onecrazyfoo4u View Post
I think I missed something. What are you getting at Heavy_GD...snake oil advertisement?
I'll say this nicely... Snake Oil and there are hundreds of thousands of threads regarding zero mpg improvement from swapping oils to synthetics, adding magic sauce to the oil or fuel etc so its best to just read the MANY, MANY threads already available on this vs opening the can of worms that happens on these subjects. In particular the wording on their add is the typical snake oil mantra even from a proven product its a bad choice even for them.

Check out powerstrokenation, powerstrokearmy, cumminsforum, fortruckenthusiast and so on. More threads than one could ever read and find a common conclusion. Cummins guys claiming 5mpg increase, Powertroke guys claiming their kids got smarter after adding it to their cereal type stuff lol.

Tried to be nice hope it came off that way.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

"Its like me getting five 5 gallon bucks and throwing regular, mid, premium, #2 diesel and offroad diesel and then shooting a roman candle at each one to show which ones burns better."
post #9 of 10 Old 11-05-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinOOO9 View Post
I'll say this nicely... Snake Oil and there are hundreds of thousands of threads regarding zero mpg improvement from swapping oils to synthetics, adding magic sauce to the oil or fuel etc so its best to just read the MANY, MANY threads already available on this vs opening the can of worms that happens on these subjects. In particular the wording on their add is the typical snake oil mantra even from a proven product its a bad choice even for them.

Check out powerstrokenation, powerstrokearmy, cumminsforum, fortruckenthusiast and so on. More threads than one could ever read and find a common conclusion. Cummins guys claiming 5mpg increase, Powertroke guys claiming their kids got smarter after adding it to their cereal type stuff lol.

Tried to be nice hope it came off that way.
Haha, just what I figured. Thanks for the reply! No harm done...I had my flame suit on and ready. Like I said, these oil additives never seem to pan out to anything...but I am true believer with the fuel additives to see how much mpg improvement I get. Whether they are actually doing anything to benefit, I'll never know...but at least it gained my some decent mileage.
JustinOOO9 likes this.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-05-2019, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,125 Times in 2,033 Posts
Mentioned: 431 Post(s)
Quoted: 3135 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by onecrazyfoo4u View Post
Convincing people that a cooler engine is more MPGs is the lead in for snake oil IMO.

I agree that additives can help, that is helping an engine that is not running at 100%.

GD

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
So says the internet... ...and so it shall be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
OK, thanks for the info. To show my ignorance, what is the problem with 3 nipples...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode