Oh look! Another additive thread. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old 11-04-2019, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Drunk Post Extraordinair

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Oh look! Another additive thread.

I really like this dudes videos. He seems to test things well, and isnít sponsored by anyone so heís fairly unbiased. I got on my YouTubes today and lo and behold, heís testing diesel fuel additives.

Iíll be honest, Iím thinking about changing my additive. Thereís a ton of talk around the CP4 failures being due to lack of lubricity in ULSD. I run an additive every tank. Now Iím rethinking which additive Iím going to use.

For the record, Iím not affiliated with him or any additive in any way. Iím sure someone will have a problem with how he tests things, I just thought Iíd throw this up for conversations sake.

Here you go.

hansel, UR2EZ and 18M_RWR like this.

So strong is Tradition that later generations will dream of what they have never seen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 11-05-2019, 03:55 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Well...running plain two-stroke for lubrication is sort of obvious as to what the results should be. Interesting to see the wear results when using these products. I might have to see about the Hot's Shot as well as one other I'll keep an eye out for around my travels. I wish he would have done a cost breakdown per dose per product. Maybe I'll try adding some two stroke since it's not going to hurt anything....LOL

Officially The Biggest Midget In The Game

post #3 of 37 Old 11-05-2019, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
Drunk Post Extraordinair

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yeah, doesnít the two stroke thing come from the 7.3s? Iím not so sure about that in my 6.7 but Iím probably going to try the Hot Shots as well. Iíve used the silver Power Service, Stanadyne and Howeís. Howeís is the easier to come by so Iíve used it the most.

Iím just trying to save this CP4.

So strong is Tradition that later generations will dream of what they have never seen.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 Old 11-05-2019, 06:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I love this guys videos. He tests everything in ways that the average guy can understand. After watching it I may consider switching which additive I use. But I always add 1 oz per gallon 2 stroke regardless.
Old King Coal likes this.
post #5 of 37 Old 11-05-2019, 07:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Very good video of a guy using everyday equipment to do tests that you can see the results from. Its definitely got me rethinking my winter additive switch.
post #6 of 37 Old 11-05-2019, 07:30 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Garage
Always enjoy this guys vids, and learn in the process ...things don't always turn out like I think they will

In my defense, I was unsupervised
2006 F250 Lariat FX4 cclb
Torque Pro and OBDLink MX bluetooth monitor
General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.

Last edited by Hydro; 11-05-2019 at 07:34 AM.
post #7 of 37 Old 11-05-2019, 07:46 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1630 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyAssault View Post
Well...running plain two-stroke for lubrication is sort of obvious as to what the results should be. Interesting to see the wear results when using these products. I might have to see about the Hot's Shot as well as one other I'll keep an eye out for around my travels. I wish he would have done a cost breakdown per dose per product. Maybe I'll try adding some two stroke since it's not going to hurt anything....LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old King Coal View Post
Yeah, doesnít the two stroke thing come from the 7.3s? Iím not so sure about that in my 6.7 but Iím probably going to try the Hot Shots as well. Iíve used the silver Power Service, Stanadyne and Howeís. Howeís is the easier to come by so Iíve used it the most.

Iím just trying to save this CP4.
If your truck has the intact/running emissions system the two stroke oil can cause faster clogging/ more frequent regens and damage but if its gone it wont hurt anything. I noticed a much smoother idle on my 6.0ls but didn't notice squat on the 99 7.3l. Personally I feel the specifically made diesel fuel additives got me something worth the hassel vs buying the 1 gal jug of two stroke and adding almost 1quart per tank. I have only seen a fuel economy increase fuel treatments with winter blend diesels. Never saw nothing in summer with the exception of 3 tanks in a row I got .5-ish mpg boost using this not popular rolling big power fuel treatment a mechanic told me to use when I was very new to 6.0ls.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

"Its like me getting five 5 gallon bucks and throwing regular, mid, premium, #2 diesel and offroad diesel and then shooting a roman candle at each one to show which ones burns better."
post #8 of 37 Old 11-05-2019, 07:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
I was all about to jump on the switching my additive team...until I looked closer. I've run power service each winter without any problems...but seeing how poorly it did in lubrication made me think of switching over to Hot Shots, which did awesome.

For the anti-gel test, I don't think it was done correctly because he appears to add the same dose of each type of additive to each jar, 2 teaspoons it looks like. This is bogus because they are greatly different concentrations. Hot shots says 3.2oz per 25 gallons of fuel, where as power service says 8oz per 25 gallons of fuel. So of course the hot shots will do better, he added almost 3x the concentration for anti-gelling compared to power service! Looks like stanadyn is 6.5oz per 25 gallons and Howes is 10oz per 25 gallons. Using the correct concentration is key!

Edit: Actually after re-watching it, he uses different spoon measurements for each jar...hard to tell how much he added of each. I really hope he was using the correct dosages for an equal comparison!

The lubrication seems legit though with just the straight additives, and may be worth the switch to hot shots just for that. GREAT video, thanks for the post!
Hydro likes this.

Last edited by onecrazyfoo4u; 11-05-2019 at 08:10 AM.
post #9 of 37 Old 11-05-2019, 08:14 AM
It is What IT is

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
I've used PS for years now without any issues. I used the 911 once because my fuel had gelled up in my 5 gallon jugs. Lo and behold 911 worked like magic.
as @onecrazyfoo4u said, I am questioning the dosage used in each jar.
onecrazyfoo4u likes this.

Zach

07 F250 KR FX4 CCSB, Dark Copper Metallic/AZ Beige, Rotella T6
6000K HIDs, Zoodad, Fog mod/High Idle, Tinted, Rancho 9000s, Banks CAI,
Blue Spring, NUC/Amsoil Bypass Oil Filter
Z36 slotted/drilled rotors, Carbon Ceramic brake pads,
Warren 175/stock, Atlas 40, Fleetrite ELC, ScangaugeII

168,084 miles....

Air Force Veteran......Go Blue!

Support Our Troops - Remember Our Veterans!
post #10 of 37 Old 11-05-2019, 08:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Yeah, it's really hard to tell with how fast he zooms through the dosages...but it's a different spoon for each one...and multiple spoons for some. He definitely didn't do the correct dosage for some of them...which should be done to compare apples to apples for gelling. You do the math, and to treat 0.5 gal of fuel, most of those should have been 1/2 teaspoon or less...and he's adding a couple tablespoons of some of them. I definitely wouldn't go off this test for gelling purposes.

But for lubrication and corrosion purposes, it was crazy to see how poorly power service did compared to hot shots or stanadyne. I may make the switch just for those benefits.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode