Gas in diesel tank grrrrrrrr - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2019, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Glow Plugs Only

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gas in diesel tank grrrrrrrr

Well I finally did it. After all these years I pulled up to the diesel pump right beside a gas pump and put in four litres of gas before catching my mistake. Man what an idiotic thing to do. Had it towed home from the pumps without driving it luckily. Anybody know what I have to do? I'm thinking I probably have to drop and flush the tank or does anyone know if there is an easier way to do it? And yes I know it's a dumb a$$ thing to do and I did it lol.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

05 F250 CCSB 4X4, 05 VW TDI
4"Banks Turbo Back, ARP Studs & OEM Gaskets,
Coolant Filter, Blue spring, Zoodad
Bypass Oil Filter, Kitty By By, Standpipes dummy plugs
BPD oil cooler, EGR Delete, CCV Mod, BPD Oil Cooler, SCT SF3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2019, 09:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
If it were me I wouldn't mind that little bit of gasoline... My opinion is to fill it with diesel and add a ton of 2 stroke oil for extra lube... But I drive a 7.3 and they will run on muddy water in a pinch
MrTommy likes this.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Too risky, drain it. Gas has a different flash point than diesel so it can be harmful, even dangerous. That sucks man, I feel for ya.

844-487-2787

us for special pricing
Operating Hours: 9am-6pm EST Monday - Friday
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2019, 11:18 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1614 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
If I’m reading your post right 4 liters is just hair over 1 gallon isn’t it? I would fill rest of diesel and drive. 1 gal of diesel in even the smallest 24gal tank won’t do anything to these trucks.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

"Its like me getting five 5 gallon bucks and throwing regular, mid, premium, #2 diesel and offroad diesel and then shooting a roman candle at each one to show which ones burns better."
Old 10-14-2019, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Glow Plugs Only

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I just got off the phone with my buddy who is a Ford diesel mechanic and as you guys have mentioned I should be ok with such a minor amount of gas. He said if I had one of the newer 08, 6.4 and up diesels it would be a whole different ball game. Though he did tell me to take off the line at the HFCM to the secondary filter and run the tank dry and refill just to be on the safe side which I will do. Not too much trouble compared to dropping the tank. Cheers all. Time to slow it down a bit and pay a little more attention I guess in my golden years LMAO.
MrTommy likes this.

Old 10-14-2019, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Glow Plugs Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinOOO9 View Post
If Iím reading your post right 4 liters is just hair over 1 gallon isnít it? I would fill rest of diesel and drive. 1 gal of diesel in even the smallest 24gal tank wonít do anything to these trucks.
Yes Justin, 3.7ltrs is 1 US gallon. Cheers

Old 10-14-2019, 12:09 PM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1614 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee004 View Post
Quote:
If I’m reading your post right 4 liters is just hair over 1 gallon isn’t it? I would fill rest of diesel and drive. 1 gal of diesel in even the smallest 24gal tank won’t do anything to these trucks.
Yes Justin, 3.7ltrs is 1 US gallon. Cheers

I would honestly just run the truck. That tiny 1 gallon won’t do anything, esp compared to 20-30+ gallons of diesel. If you don’t have a dpf system you can run around 1 quart of the Walmart brand (super tech) tcw3 oil to add a bit of lubricity. I actually noticed a nice idle difference in my 6.0ls using it but not so much with my current 7.3l.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

"Its like me getting five 5 gallon bucks and throwing regular, mid, premium, #2 diesel and offroad diesel and then shooting a roman candle at each one to show which ones burns better."
Old 10-14-2019, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Glow Plugs Only

Quote:
I would honestly just run the truck. That tiny 1 gallon wonít do anything, esp compared to 20-30+ gallons of diesel. If you donít have a dpf system you can run around 1 quart of the Walmart brand (super tech) tcw3 oil to add a bit of lubricity. I actually noticed a nice idle difference in my 6.0ls using it but not so much with my current 7.3l.
Thanks Justin I appreciate the advice. Going to give it a go. Cheers

Old 10-14-2019, 01:22 PM
Premium Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Back in the Day, drivers would come to the truck stop (where I worked) and have me add a couple gallons of gas to their diesel fuel. Since they had anywhere from 100 to 300 gallon capacity, the gas ratio was a bit thinner than your 1 / 38 or so, but I also used to add a gallon to many of the Mercedes cars that stopped-by for fuel. Doing this was fairly popular at the time. Most drivers back then were owner / operators and I doubt they would risk their sizeable investment if they didn't know what they were doing. Of course the engines and trucks were a bit simpler back then, The 335 Cummins ruled the day...lol.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Glow Plugs Only

Thanks for all the advice and help. Truck is running like a champ. Did have me a little worried. Don't know if it's my imagination or not but it sure seems to start a heck of a lot faster than it did before. Cheers. Don
JustinOOO9 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in