diesel truck for 65th birthday - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 09-18-2019, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
diesel truck for 65th birthday

Good morning, for my 65th birthday I’m thinking about giving myself an older diesel Ford truck. Do I need a diesel? No, just want one. Thinking about buying a boat and also thinking about retiring in a couple years and raising horses (if my wife agrees) so pulling capacity would be nice. Lot of research for models 97-2007 and my head is spinning. I know about the 6.0 problems but also know this can be a very good motor with upgrades. Some people say get an 06 or 07, friend told me 04 or 05 is best, I see good deals for 03’s. Of course the 7.3 is very popular and pricey!! I break these down 07-09 or 2001-2003. I like the obs and have found a few decently priced. Just saw online a 97 with 297000

Trucks going up for a week and if not it’ll be in the shop. This is a family owned since it was ordered truck. 1997 F250, interior is almost perfect other then a wear spot on drivers seat. Truck runs great, has e-fuel conversion, 180/80 injectors, egt and fuel pressure gauge with one spot free for whatever other gauge you prefer. Truck needs a Torque converter or a trans rebuild. Exterior includes ranch hand rear bumper or stock if prefer, clear headlights with HIDS, clear coat is impeccable, few scratches but none that you can pick up other then up close. 3000 or obo

I know there are MANY miles but say I can get it cheaper I would at least know I’m starting off with a good transmission. Any idea on rebuilt transmission prices?? With trucks this age, no matter mileage, it’s probably a gamble on the transmission anyway. Truck looks very nice in the pictures.
Your thoughts are appreciated

Last edited by Heavy_GD; 09-18-2019 at 07:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-18-2019, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

birtday present

Forgot the picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	70258925_2396758597107107_8141087144945909760_n.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	723275  
post #3 of 8 Old 09-18-2019, 10:26 AM
Hate stupid people

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
a 99-03 7.3 will be the most economical route to go compared to the 6.0 and the 94.5-97 trucks.

in stock form their basically dummy proof and were made to pull.
that obs looks nice, but without any turbo/IC upgrades it'll be a hot mess and not have "pulling capacity" that your looking for.

go with a 99-03 7.3 within your price/mileage parameters and go. it won't get anywhere fast but it'll get the job done

Illiana Strokers DICtator
EFI Live tuned 6.7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 09-18-2019, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks, I'll see what's out there...
post #5 of 8 Old 09-18-2019, 11:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

That OBS is a sweet truck. For 3k you can go put a BTS Transmission in it and have a super nice truck for less then 7k. Not to mention clean OBS 7.3s are going for like 15k. it would be a good investment.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-18-2019, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 1164 Post(s)
Quoted: 1404 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
For $3000 and the body is very clean, runs well, I would buy it. Most are rusted out piles of poo by now like my 96.

Is is 4x4? I dont see the decal on the side of the bed.

[SIZE="3"]For all your ford powerstroke needs. If you dont see what you are looking for on the website, please use the contact page and shoot us a message or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Part numbers will help alot too if they are not on our site.

post #7 of 8 Old 09-18-2019, 03:14 PM
Premium Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Diesels and horses! Both are expensive propositions, especially those ponies. It sounds like you have a plan and I wish you the best of luck. Having a passion or two adds gusto to our lives!

I agree with the previous turbo suggestion. I've had the 7.3 with a turbo and a couple of trucks without and there is a noticeable difference in power. I've had the 6.0 for the last 15 years and your right, it is a very good motor, usually after some upgrades.
post #8 of 8 Old 09-19-2019, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The truck is not a 4x4, not a huge concern for me.
Appreciate your comments, I'll get this figured out...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode