Need a farm truck, suggestions wanted. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 08-17-2019, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need a farm truck, suggestions wanted.

I’m needing a reliable truck to use on the weekends to run to the feed store and hardware store. Probably be used less than 50 times a year. I don’t want to buy an expensive truck but need something reliable. Needs to be 3/4 ton in case I have to take my horses to the vet.
Must be 3/4 ton in case I need to take my horses to the vet. Any suggestions? Looking to spend 7k or less.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 08-17-2019, 03:36 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Quoted: 3227 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You don't need a diesel for that. You can find a gasser pretty reasonable. 05 and up has front coil springs and rides better but even that isn't a big deal for what you want.

Sparky
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 F250 CCSB KR 4x4 6.0 4" Flo-Pro,
Fox 2.0s, Toyo ATs, CTS2 Pro, Blue Spring, BPD 7.3 Fan Clutch, IPR Coolant Filter

2000 F350 SCLB Dually 4x4, 7.3 6 Speed Hydra, CTS2, S&B Air, 4'' SS Diamond Eye

2005 Explorer XLT 4x4 Mountaineer,
Toyo ATs, Wife's grocery getter

1993 F150 4x4, 302 5 speed, winter truck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 Old 08-17-2019, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I had a 96 F250 with gas 7.5L and only issue was drum brakes. Not sure what year 4 wheel disk brakes came into super duty land but I would look for one with 4 wheel disk brakes. Since a horse trailer doesn't weigh that much, suggest you check out smaller displacement gas trucks as they are far less expensive and require less maintenance than a diesel.
SparkyF250 likes this.

2006 Ford F-350 6.0L Auto CC 4WD LB
2002 Keystone Cougar 278EFS
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith trike
Mico TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 08-17-2019, 03:48 PM
Fire From the Clouds!

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
$7K, reliable and 3/4 ton, 1 of the 3 need to go. Don't expect to spend $7k for a truck and not need to do something to it. Diesels also don't like to sit, a low mileage gas option would be better. Regardless things like brakes, rust, interior or something is going to be off in that price range.

2002 Ford F350-Lariat-CrewCab-LongBed-7.3L PowerStroke Intercooled Turbo Diesel!
2.5 PMF lift on 325/60r20 Nitto M/T's
Enough Stuff To Pull Yours!

post #5 of 19 Old 08-17-2019, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyF250 View Post
You don't need a diesel for that. You can find a gasser pretty reasonable. 05 and up has front coil springs and rides better but even that isn't a big deal for what you want.
I agree. Though with Fords I would be in the 5.4 arena and those are trash. So id have to look into chevy’s or GMC.
post #6 of 19 Old 08-17-2019, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon122 View Post
$7K, reliable and 3/4 ton, 1 of the 3 need to go. Don't expect to spend $7k for a truck and not need to do something to it. Diesels also don't like to sit, a low mileage gas option would be better. Regardless things like brakes, rust, interior or something is going to be off in that price range.
Maybe I should have said most reliable for <7k. If it needs something I can do it. I just don’t want to replace an engine or tranny if possible. I’m in the south so virtually none of the vehicles have rust issues unless they were shipped down from up north, interior I can deal with it being a little dodgy as it’s a farm truck. I need it to get me to the feed store or lot and back once a week.
post #7 of 19 Old 08-17-2019, 04:26 PM
Fire From the Clouds!

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by calveryc View Post
Maybe I should have said most reliable for <7k. If it needs something I can do it. I just donít want to replace an engine or tranny if possible. Iím in the south so virtually none of the vehicles have rust issues unless they were shipped down from up north, interior I can deal with it being a little dodgy as itís a farm truck. I need it to get me to the feed store or lot and back once a week.
I'd look for a 99-05 Triton V10 or an 2011+ 6.2 V8. They're relatively simple and should be plenty to tow a horse trailer every now and again.

2002 Ford F350-Lariat-CrewCab-LongBed-7.3L PowerStroke Intercooled Turbo Diesel!
2.5 PMF lift on 325/60r20 Nitto M/T's
Enough Stuff To Pull Yours!

post #8 of 19 Old 08-17-2019, 05:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Where you located? I have an 85 Chevy 3/4 4x4, with th400 and 4:10's that was used for pulling horses that I just put a brand new 350 in that I'm going to sell. It's a southern Cali truck so no rust. It had a brand new paint job when I bought it, but it has some micro cracks in the paint now. I got sick right after I bought it and it sat in the sun.
SparkyF250 likes this.
post #9 of 19 Old 08-17-2019, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by repalmer View Post
Where you located? I have an 85 Chevy 3/4 4x4, with th400 and 4:10's that was used for pulling horses that I just put a brand new 350 in that I'm going to sell. It's a southern Cali truck so no rust. It had a brand new paint job when I bought it, but it has some micro cracks in the paint now. I got sick right after I bought it and it sat in the sun.
I’m in the Chattanooga area. I’d be willing to drive though.
post #10 of 19 Old 08-17-2019, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon122 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by calveryc View Post
Maybe I should have said most reliable for <7k. If it needs something I can do it. I just don’t want to replace an engine or tranny if possible. I’m in the south so virtually none of the vehicles have rust issues unless they were shipped down from up north, interior I can deal with it being a little dodgy as it’s a farm truck. I need it to get me to the feed store or lot and back once a week.
I'd look for a 99-05 Triton V10 or an 2011+ 6.2 V8. They're relatively simple and should be plenty to tow a horse trailer every now and again.
. How many miles if maintained well can you trust the V10? I don’t have any experience with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode