2014 6.7 stock truck making black smoke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 07-20-2019, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2014 6.7 stock truck making black smoke

I have a 2014 f350 platinum (just stating so options are known) that I bought used @ about 150K mi. This is my second 6.7 powerstroke and I deleted my other one myself at about 70K mi so I'm familiar with the truck fairly well. My problem is my current truck is stock with EGR and DPF all in place, no tuning that I am aware of, yet it is making black smoke at reasonable throttle percentages in any gear and in any situation, not just from stop to go. It recently has thrown codes P2A01 and P207F. It also seems to make somewhat poor fuel economy IMO (about 16avg on highway). The truck runs like a top, shows absolutely no signs of injector or turbo issues of any sort and has power like crazy just makes smoke through the DPF. My other concern is I have driven the truck for approaching 3K mi now and only seen it regen one time and it lasted for about 3min and never throttled up to 2K at all, just idled. I intended to delete the truck when I bought it, and am about ready to order some parts to do so but I dont want to delete DPF and EGR and find out theres an electrical issue of some sort after that.

Any ideas from anyone??
I do currently have a OBD scanner so I can throw some numbers from sensors out too if anyone can tell me what some standards are to compare with.

Also unrelated (hopefully): the steering wheel controls for radio and such mostly dont work, in other words some buttons do nothing, some perform an incorrect function, and some do nothing at all. I figured this was due to the switches getting wet at some point or something and have not swapped anything yet to see if it fixes anything.

Anything helps, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-21-2019, 10:49 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
I'm not an expert in 6.7s but I'm pretty sure 99% diesel soot doesn't make it the DPF and since you said the regen only lasted for 3 minutes I'm thinking there might be a hole punched through the DPF

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
E̶a̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶2̶0̶0̶3̶ ̶6̶.̶0̶ ̶E̶x̶c̶u̶r̶s̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶f̶u̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶b̶u̶l̶l̶e̶t̶p̶r̶o̶o̶f̶e̶d̶,̶ ̶1̶5̶5̶/̶3̶0̶ ̶i̶n̶j̶e̶c̶t̶o̶r̶s̶,̶ ̶K̶C̶ ̶S̶t̶a̶g̶e̶ ̶2̶,̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶ ̶l̶o̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶s̶t̶u̶f̶f̶.̶ Cummins swap in progress. Thanks to everyone on the forum I have learned a lot.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The EGR does to your engine what smoking does to your lungs.

Remember you can always improve on a design until the EPA gets involved.

post #3 of 13 Old 07-21-2019, 05:00 PM
BBBRRRRRTTTTT

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Start with your codes and get to work.

2016 F-250 Super Crew XLT 6.7L
2007 F-250 Super Cab XL 6.0L (sold)

C-A-P-S CAPS! CAPS! CAPS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 07-22-2019, 03:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
what codes come up? did you check the charge pipe for any cracks ? and weird noises?
post #5 of 13 Old 07-23-2019, 04:22 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Codes: P2A01 and P207F
And yes I have looked for boost leaks and tested a few ways and have found no sign of any.
post #6 of 13 Old 07-23-2019, 06:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
As far as the steering wheel control issues go, my 2011 started doing that a while ago. Turn the volume up, channel changed, turn the volume down, volume went up, all sorts of weird stuff. I ordered a new steering wheel switch for about $50, replaced and it worked fine for a while. Started having that issue along with all sorts of other electrical issues. Wipers wouldn't shut off, interior lights wouldn't come on when you opened the doors, steering wheel radio controls started acting up again. Replaced the ECM, reprogrammed and all has been fine since.
post #7 of 13 Old 07-23-2019, 07:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Garage
does it make any boost?
post #8 of 13 Old 07-23-2019, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I havent had any other issues so far except basically exactly what you said there. Did you have Ford reflash the ECM? How much was it to do that?
post #9 of 13 Old 07-23-2019, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamipowerdiesel View Post
does it make any boost?
Yep boost is normal, builds and holds and also tops at about 22psi like normal. Like I said nothing seems weird with the performance at all except for the black smoke. Do you know exactly what these trucks reference for fuel injection? Looks to me like maybe a combo of MAF and NoX/o2? My thinking is the reference point for fuel injection as well as filter regen is not reading correctly or at all which should be eliminated by deleting the bull**** (I would think). But if the engine is referencing the hot side NoX sensor in the down pipe, that will still be there and I'm worried may still be way over-fueling. Not having much luck finding information about the 6.7 platforms references as far as injection goes on the internet
post #10 of 13 Old 07-23-2019, 10:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Garage
did u check the air filter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode