2019 F 250 Dealer lifted, voided warranty - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 05-31-2019, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2019 F 250 Dealer lifted, voided warranty

Hi, I am about to purchase a 2019 F250 6.7L new. The dealership has added a 6” lift and after market tires and rims. I am purchasing the extended warranty. I was all ready to go then the dealership wanted me to sign a paper that said the truck had been modified and the modifications may void my warranty. They said the parts were all parts approved by Ford. Will this modification done at a dealership really affect my warranty? And if so how could they think I would by and extended one. Thanks for anyone thoughts or advice on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-31-2019, 05:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Garage
If its sold off the lot as it sits, the dealer has to cover it. That being said do not sign that paper.
HeavyAssault likes this.
post #3 of 18 Old 05-31-2019, 05:17 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Back in the days I worked in a dealership. Dealer installed accessories do not void factory warranty. We had a Miata with a Jackson racing supercharger that carried the factory warranty. Regardless, the dealer kills the warranty. Many a warranty on the power train was voided simply because the customer was belligerent. Really sounds like you need to find a different dealer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 05-31-2019, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The dealership I’m purchasing from is not the dealer I will be using for service work. The truck I am purchasing is 8 hours away. From what I understand under the magnusun moss warranty act a dealership can not lawfully deny a warranty, that can only come from the manufacturer.
post #5 of 18 Old 05-31-2019, 06:37 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasjsangster View Post
The dealership I’m purchasing from is not the dealer I will be using for service work. The truck I am purchasing is 8 hours away. From what I understand under the magnusun moss warranty act a dealership can not lawfully deny a warranty, that can only come from the manufacturer.
Maybe talk to your local dealership to see what they say about the warranty. Also, maybe they can 'buy/transfer' the truck from the other dealer, then sell it to you. After you figure the warranty issue out of course
post #6 of 18 Old 05-31-2019, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My local dealership is the one who actually found the truck for me. Then when they found out it had been lifted they wouldn’t do the transfer because they said they wouldn’t sell a modified truck that they had not done the modifications on themselves. I have researched federal law on the matter and it looks like I’m pretty protected actually. A dealership may try and use it as an excuse not to but they have no legal right to do so. There are already some small things that have been deemed voided from warranty based on court cases but the most significant being premature side air bag deployment. Due to lifts changing the center of gravity. Outside those couple things they have no grounds to stand on for denying a warranty claim. Actually they can’t deny it. Only Ford Motors can because a warranty contract is specifically with them and not a dealership. Now my local dealership could definitely make it a poor experience for me and not a nice smooth one but hopefully since we just bought a $70k Expedition from them they won’t be unruly.
post #7 of 18 Old 06-01-2019, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
The MM Act is to prevent the manufacturer from wrongfully voiding your warranty. You put Pennzoil in your motor instead of Motorcraft and they void you because you didn't use the manufacturer's oil. Your problem is you have a lift and larger tires. Potentially, Ford could void your suspension due to extra stress due to larger and heavier tires than OEM. They may also void your drivetrain since you have changed the gear ratio if the tires are a non-OEM diameter. That would be transmission and rear axle. Steering also since you are turning heavier tires that may also have non-OEM steering and suspension angles. I'm not saying this will happen, but Ford could attempt it.

Personally, I wouldn't do it.

Tom
HeavyAssault likes this.
post #8 of 18 Old 06-02-2019, 05:43 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The burden off proof though would be on Ford motor to prove that the the modifications are the direct and sole cause of the failure.
post #9 of 18 Old 06-03-2019, 10:59 AM

Thanked 1,810 Times in 1,754 Posts
Mentioned: 697 Post(s)
Quoted: 3912 Post(s)
burden of proof that larger tires are more stress ?

not really a stretch i wouldn't anticipate them covering a transmission/wheel bearing and other front end parts

i had a truck that was a similar deal and i had an aftermarket warranty along with the OEM the AM covered the typical items and had it in writing the lift included

the thing about denial of coverage is you never know and not knowing is a puker factor

6.0 flush pdf
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 18 Old 06-03-2019, 04:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasjsangster View Post
The burden off proof though would be on Ford motor to prove that the the modifications are the direct and sole cause of the failure.
No way to say this without sounding dickish (not my intent); but who has deeper pockets to litigate this issue ? Ford or the vehicle purchaser?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode