deciding which truck to purchase. - Page 2 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 Old 03-18-2019, 10:02 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Diesel will cost more every step of the way, from fuel to oil changes to filters, etc. But they have the benefit of better MPG, power, and longevity. If you look at at it from a financial perspective or if you want less to worry about go gas.

My family are diesel heads we have 3 diesels 2 of which are sedans, my sisters VW bug (I don't like this car), my dads BMW 335D and a diesel Excursion. All 3 of them have cost more to keep going than there gas equivalents would have but we enjoy the better MPG and power they produce and are willing to pay a premium for it.

I don't like doing short trips in any vehicle but at one time the Excursion had a 4 mile commute and the 335D has 10 mile one which isn't long enough for a regen in the winter (Houston). Since you do an 80 mile trip several times a month I wouldn't worry to much about a short trip to work/store.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
E̶a̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶2̶0̶0̶3̶ ̶6̶.̶0̶ ̶E̶x̶c̶u̶r̶s̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶f̶u̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶b̶u̶l̶l̶e̶t̶p̶r̶o̶o̶f̶e̶d̶,̶ ̶1̶5̶5̶/̶3̶0̶ ̶i̶n̶j̶e̶c̶t̶o̶r̶s̶,̶ ̶K̶C̶ ̶S̶t̶a̶g̶e̶ ̶2̶,̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶ ̶l̶o̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶s̶t̶u̶f̶f̶.̶ Cummins swap in progress. Thanks to everyone on the forum I have learned a lot.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The EGR does to your engine what smoking does to your lungs.

Remember you can always improve on a design until the EPA gets involved.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 Old 03-22-2019, 01:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
My company bought 2 identical trucks- one with 6.7 diesel and one 6.2 gas. Both 350 srw with utility beds. Over 2 year period the diesel got 1 mpg more than the gas-
It was way more expensive to buy, fuel is more, as we know, and the maintenance is more also. We did this purposely to compare so we could make future decisions with some clarity.
So if you do not tow- the gas will definitely be cheaper to run the same vehicle.
post #13 of 15 Old 03-22-2019, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gs View Post
My company bought 2 identical trucks- one with 6.7 diesel and one 6.2 gas. Both 350 srw with utility beds. Over 2 year period the diesel got 1 mpg more than the gas-
It was way more expensive to buy, fuel is more, as we know, and the maintenance is more also. We did this purposely to compare so we could make future decisions with some clarity.
So if you do not tow- the gas will definitely be cheaper to run the same vehicle.
What you forgot to say is the driver of the gas truck is on anti depressants and having marital struggles due to hating his truck all day long.

The guy that drives the diesel turns around and smiles as he locks the doors and walks away from it at the end of every day.

On paper is one thing, real life is another.
Mike Gs likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 Old 03-22-2019, 03:02 PM
DKH
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qfd08 View Post
Sc-surfer thanks for the reply, you make some good points. I think the biggest and the best question I could ask to everyone would more simply be -

For those who have diesels for towing, if you stopped towing everything tomorrow, how many would continue owning a diesel and how many would decide to swap over to a gasser?
I currently own 3 diesels F 350 & 2500 HD and tow heavy with all and if quit towing and was in the market for a personal truck I would go with the diesel for a F 250 sized truck and up.
Comparing to my dad's 2500 gas which around 10 mpg (7000 lbs) to my 350 diesel that gets about the same mpg and weighs 13000 lb and does towing 40% of the time.
Also my stock 06(pre emissions) 2500 diesel has 260000 trouble free miles and it has had heavy towing since I got it 5 years ago.
New diesels consider deletes for better engine reliability. Had a 08 diesel go out at 200000 miles (non deleted 90% of that)
post #15 of 15 Old 03-23-2019, 05:40 AM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOOTIE View Post
What you forgot to say is the driver of the gas truck is on anti depressants and having marital struggles due to hating his truck all day long.

The guy that drives the diesel turns around and smiles as he locks the doors and walks away from it at the end of every day.

On paper is one thing, real life is another.
Funny- unfortunately he is having marital troubles- but i guess that is a 50/50 shot nowadays.
He is constantly telling me he LOVES the truck (gasser) and he wants to purchase it when we are done with it.
Diesel driver has high praises also.
I love my 7.3- I bought it when i was towing a 10k construction trailer. If money is no object- go diesel.
Knowing what I know now- and especially because of the DEF, I would buy a gasser today, unless i was towing heavy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode