Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/)
-   General Diesel Discussion (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-diesel-discussion/)
-   -   Remote countdown timer for block heater? (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-diesel-discussion/1354811-remote-countdown-timer-block-heater.html)

The Evil Twin 12-23-2018 07:28 PM

Hmm... Link didn't post. This is the one I bought:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B079L..._t2_B07CXRRKTQ
Granted, it isn't terribly difficult to build a remote timer that will do what I want. Time consuming, yes. I thought about using a little IDEC series RJ relay along with a Tridium Jace to program on/ off times and time delay to off. Heck, I could throw on a temperature sensor to control by ambient temp to. This will likely do the trick if it is reliable enough though. All I really need is to be able to energize it and have it stay on for an adjustable time period.
This one is rated for 1200 watts so it should handle the 1000 watt heater well enough.

Hydro 12-23-2018 07:41 PM

Could just run out and plug it in when you let the dog out, the cold will wake you up and you will be ready to greet the new day,

The Evil Twin 12-24-2018 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hydro (Post 16210633)
Could just run out and plug it in when you let the dog out, the cold will wake you up and you will be ready to greet the new day,

What's the fun in that? Lol.
Thing is, I dont have a set schedule. When I did leave first thing in the AM every day it would be easy as that. Now it is all over the place.

The Evil Twin 12-26-2018 07:27 AM

I had the time to play around with it yesterday before family started arriving. The app is easy to install and set up. It only wants location permission for time and time zone info. Not like most apps that want to be able to control your mic and camera even though they do not need to. Schedules and rules are a cinch to set. The rule I created was to turn the outlet #1 off 3 hours after it is turned on. It took me a secont to realize I had to apply the rule to every day for it to work. Otherwise it works only on the day you set it up (only on Tuesdays). You can build on rules, so I could turn on #1 every day at 3am and it would then turn off 3 hours later. I have not gone so far as to try integrating it to Google Assistant yet. As it is I open the app and turn on outlet 1. So, two phone taps and it turns on for 3 hours.
Bottom line: Perfect for what I need.
If it fails then I'll use the protection plan and get another one. Then I will dissect the unit and see what I need to do in order to install higher rated contacts. As long as the electronics work I'll be set.

ZMANN 12-26-2018 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Evil Twin (Post 16211535)
when it fails and if it actually does not burn down the house and truck then I'll use the protection plan and give it another chance . .

Fixed it for ya :nerd:

it does look like a nice device keep us posted

The Evil Twin 12-26-2018 08:21 AM

LOL.
Hopefully it does not come to that. Although the thought did come to mind. The only saving hrace is that I dont cut corners on insurance.
I'll definitely report back with any problems. If my place burns to the ground I'll post pictures too!

JustinOOO9 12-26-2018 08:23 AM

Very interesting items. Keep us updated on the wifi one. I didn't know they even made those and it sounds perfect for me too. I have a mostly set schedule but not concrete.

ugly96 12-26-2018 09:16 AM

I have been using a wifi outdoor plug for 2 years now. No issues with my heater drawing around 980 watts. So nice being able to change the schedule at will from anywhere.

The Evil Twin 12-26-2018 05:06 PM

Good to know your house hasn't burned down. Lol.
The more I think about it, the more I like it. I don't have to be home to turn it on. If I am on the way home from somewhere, I can turn it on.

Ralphie9 01-03-2019 07:49 AM

Ok am I missing something here? At night I just plug mine into an extension cord running out from the garage. Been doing that for years without an issue...