7.3 missing and running ruff - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 09-22-2018, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 missing and running ruff

So I was coming back from a hay delivery with my 30ft gooseneck in my 02 7.3 4x4 and I pushed down on pedal to pass a car on the interstate and my truck starred running ruff missing like it was staving for fuel I had a friend get me a new fuel filter and I put a inline fuel filter about a year ago that I changed to Still running bad no power so I had my brother come get me in my other truck ran the broke truck on the trailer and drive home So it did this the night before but I thought it just ran out of fuel put fuel in it It started off running a little rough but cleared up after a few miles Started up fine the next morning and ran fine drove 80 miles and unloaded 200 bales and on the way back all this happened I think it has something to do with giving it a lot of gas seems like it happened both times One other thing I shot Either in it and seemed to run fine with no miss But once the either was gone started running rough again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-23-2018, 04:42 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Clogged injectors? Water in fuel? I would start with AR6200 or Lucas Upper Cylinder Lube and Injector Cleaner at a slightly higher dose. I would not use ether as I believe it is for gas engines only.

2015 Ford F-350 XLT, PSD, CCSB, Ruby Red Metallic
2012 Cougar High Country 299RKS, Andersen Ultimate hitch.
1/77 Armor, 5th Mechanized Infantry, I Corps
post #3 of 9 Old 09-23-2018, 06:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Had a similar issue with my old 7.3. It would idle and ran fine at low speed but when I started pulling it would knock and sounded like a rod bearing. I would back off the throttle and it would be OK. Power was down WHEN it was knocking. It ended up being the black pickup in the tank had literally turned brittle and fell apart. It was clogging the pickup line. I just removed it and did the Hutch mod and problem solved. I was also running an inline Racor between the tank and pump.

Tom

2014 XLT Premium CC Dually 2WD, Remote Start Added, Diesel Site Dual Filters, Rudy's Cold Air Pipe, Infotainment Radio Swap + Rear Camera Added

2002 XLT CC Dually 2WD, 6 Spd, True Workhorse that kept going.

1999 F250 Lariat CC LB SRW 2 WD, Automatic. Just didn't perform towing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 09-23-2018, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomshep View Post
Had a similar issue with my old 7.3. It would idle and ran fine at low speed but when I started pulling it would knock and sounded like a rod bearing. I would back off the throttle and it would be OK. Power was down WHEN it was knocking. It ended up being the black pickup in the tank had literally turned brittle and fell apart. It was clogging the pickup line. I just removed it and did the Hutch mod and problem solved. I was also running an inline Racor between the tank and pump.

Tom
Th

Thanks Tom I was thinking that was what it might be but wanted a second or third opinion I will check it and let you know
post #5 of 9 Old 09-24-2018, 06:04 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
And you've never seen the SES light on when it's done this?

If not, that kinda points towards to an "un-monitored" system like Fuel delivery...
post #6 of 9 Old 09-24-2018, 06:32 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Garage
Did you run the truck dry? If it ran out of fuel I'm sure the fuel pump didn't like that. Pull tank, inspect, pull pump, replace

180/30s,KC38R, CNC Fab Stg 2 HPOP, Sump, Walbro, Donaldson 6637, Leveled, 4'' straight to 7'' tip, 08 mirrors, 6.0 front end ect...
post #7 of 9 Old 09-24-2018, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No lights ever came on and I didn't run it out of fuel But I am almost sure Tom is right I dropped the fuel tank tonight after work and the black pick up screen was in pieces at the bottom of the tank and the two filters inside are totally clogged up I was also very happy to see that the tank is plastic I've seen what happens to metal fuel tanks and its not a pretty sight I am waiting on one more of the internal filters to come in tomorrow then I will put it back together and see what happens I have heard about a harpoon mod but not feeling very adventurous right now I am going to put it back together how it was But what do y'all think about the hutch mod seems super easy and I would like to get more fuel in the tank I am used to my older truck it is a 2000 long bed with 39 gallon tank I think
post #8 of 9 Old 09-24-2018, 11:10 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowherdboy View Post
No lights ever came on and I didn't run it out of fuel But I am almost sure Tom is right I dropped the fuel tank tonight after work and the black pick up screen was in pieces at the bottom of the tank and the two filters inside are totally clogged up I was also very happy to see that the tank is plastic I've seen what happens to metal fuel tanks and its not a pretty sight I am waiting on one more of the internal filters to come in tomorrow then I will put it back together and see what happens I have heard about a harpoon mod but not feeling very adventurous right now I am going to put it back together how it was But what do y'all think about the hutch mod seems super easy and I would like to get more fuel in the tank I am used to my older truck it is a 2000 long bed with 39 gallon tank I think
Definately cut the tube off on the inside. Makes a huge difference
post #9 of 9 Old 09-28-2018, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So that's exactly what it was Tom The black foot screen thing was disintegrated and clogged up the two little filters in the fuel tank sending unit I replaced them and the foot screen and it seems to be running great Its funny I have an 02 E350 with a 7.3 that I use for work that has been doing the same thing off and on 3 plus months I dropped the tank and sure enough same thing I haven't put it back together yet but I am almost positive its the same problem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode