Legality of pulling truck from shop? - Page 2 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 25 Old 06-26-2018, 05:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy_GD View Post
This seems a little dramatic.

Just ask for a bill, tell them you are out of money and you cant afford to proceed.

Pay the bill and tow the truck away.

If you dont like the bill thats when the debate starts, I assume at this point you dont even know what the number is.
The voice of reason has spoken. Are you ok @Heavy_GD ? (smile)
backhoebill likes this.

2017 F350 DRW King Ranch FX4
Blue Jeans w/Caribou Accent
No mods...yet. Enjoying stock and full warranty!
2004 F350 6.0 - Traded 2/4/17 (Pity the fool who bought it)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 Old 06-26-2018, 05:56 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,141 Times in 2,049 Posts
Mentioned: 437 Post(s)
Quoted: 3170 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Sobriety sucks...
jd4010 and SparkyF250 like this.

GD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
So says the internet... ...and so it shall be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
OK, thanks for the info. To show my ignorance, what is the problem with 3 nipples...
post #13 of 25 Old 06-26-2018, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy_GD View Post
This seems a little dramatic.

Just ask for a bill, tell them you are out of money and you cant afford to proceed.

Pay the bill and tow the truck away.

If you dont like the bill thats when the debate starts, I assume at this point you dont even know what the number is.
It's over $3,000 for a transmission that is locked in third gear.

This isn't the first time he's screwed up on a transmission. He screwed up on my brothers but he got it working. I figured mistakes happen
Then a clip fell off for my old truck and they fabricated a new one and never had a problem again (this I blame on being a cheap kit)

Dudes 3 for 3 now and the trucks been there for a little over two weeks, and I'm sure it's an internal transmission issue and he's trying to blame it on other things. I need my truck back as it's my only vehicle I've been having to get rides and it's stressful. I just need my truck fixed and another shop said it sounds like they screwed up on the build and they can have it done in 3 days.

I have no problem giving him his parts back, but I don't feel it's right to pay for labor when something isn't working and he's trying to get out of reworking the trans by saying it's a computer issue. What happens if 3 months down the road something breaks? "Oh it's not your trans, it's your headlight wiper fluid causing your truck not to shift."

I just need my truck back...

'02 F-250 7.3
180/80% Stage 2 Full Force Injectors
S&B Intake
Hydra running Gearhead Tunes
5" Straight Pipe
Bellowed Up-Pipes
Bilstein 5160 Resi's
Rough Country Dual Steering Stabilizer
etc, etc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 25 Old 06-26-2018, 06:09 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,141 Times in 2,049 Posts
Mentioned: 437 Post(s)
Quoted: 3170 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I'll shoot you straight man, you will eventually chock this up to a life lesson.
Right now you have to decide how bad its going to hurt your pockets and your time.

So like I said, walk in, tell him you cannot afford to proceed, and ask for the bill to leave.
Try to negotiate.... you can argue his labor all you want, but the reality is if they billed hours and parts you are on the hook.

You might get lucky and they eat some of it just to get you off the books, you might not.
Your attitude and approach will dictate that.
SparkyF250 and Randy4614 like this.

GD

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
So says the internet... ...and so it shall be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
OK, thanks for the info. To show my ignorance, what is the problem with 3 nipples...
post #15 of 25 Old 06-26-2018, 06:57 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Legality of pulling truck from shop?

Reality is like heavy said, youre hooked in the throat and not on the lips. For a 15+ yo truck, they got you by the nads. If you have the time, go take him to court and yo will get your truck back. It will cost a few hundred for a second professional opinion (or maybe free from bts JW etc). He can put a lien on the truck and within 30 days, it belongs to him for none payment (certain laws differ in Different states).

Besides, you went in knowing they are a bunch of screw ups. So that has some weight to it.

I don’t dislike many things but what I can say is I HATE dishonest men.

—————signature—————
~Don’t overthink something simple~
...:uptight people suck:...

Last edited by DieselDC; 06-26-2018 at 07:23 AM.
post #16 of 25 Old 06-26-2018, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
What was the orginal estimate? Usually they can only go over by 10% without getting approval from you, (varies from state to state, check your state). Did you approve any extra work? That's a negotiating point.

You're going to have to pay before he releases the truck. If he did mess it up, the next shop will tell you, then you have some recourse to either see if he'll make it right or sue to get the money back. If it is his fault let him know you're going to do a Yelp review also.

If you take it without paying, that's theft and won't end well. Even if it's 100% his fault
post #17 of 25 Old 06-26-2018, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

So I went down there after work ready to discuss the truck, it was on the rack. he's pulling the transmission again because I guess he got it through his thick head after I called him that it isn't a computer issue and that they suck at building transmissions.

Additionally I never even signed paperwork authorizing him to do the work, all that was done is he printed an estimate, handed it to me and took my keys so I'm not even sure he has any legal pull to do a mechanic lien on the truck.
He's also cut the exhaust on accident, broke my transmission fluid tube, among other things. I'm just not very happy with the job and while if the transmission works I have no problem paying him for the work that was quoted, I will NEVER be going back to that shop.
post #18 of 25 Old 06-27-2018, 07:08 AM
Bump To Pass!!

Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,035 Posts
Mentioned: 566 Post(s)
Quoted: 2586 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanh96 View Post
It's over $3,000 for a transmission that is locked in third gear.

This isn't the first time he's screwed up on a transmission. He screwed up on my brothers but he got it working. I figured mistakes happen
Then a clip fell off for my old truck and they fabricated a new one and never had a problem again (this I blame on being a cheap kit)

Dudes 3 for 3 now and the trucks been there for a little over two weeks, and I'm sure it's an internal transmission issue and he's trying to blame it on other things. I need my truck back as it's my only vehicle I've been having to get rides and it's stressful. I just need my truck fixed and another shop said it sounds like they screwed up on the build and they can have it done in 3 days.

I have no problem giving him his parts back, but I don't feel it's right to pay for labor when something isn't working and he's trying to get out of reworking the trans by saying it's a computer issue. What happens if 3 months down the road something breaks? "Oh it's not your trans, it's your headlight wiper fluid causing your truck not to shift."

I just need my truck back...
Ok....first off the d!ckhead part to my post.'

The above^^^ is the writing on the wall and your an idiot for using this guy. As YOU said "3 for 3". When you go cheap you get what you pay for.

That said here we go.

ALL CUSTOMERS are entitled in every state to written estimates (if requested in some states) other wise verbal is authorization. ALL repair businesses are also required to POST in plain sight YOUR CUSTOMER RIGHTS. There are plenty of ways to sue this guy it sounds like, but as soon as you start throwing "lawyer" around my guess would be he will file a mechanics lean real quick and you will loose the truck until you can prove he was wrong. MOST civil suits or small claims (this would be since its only 3k) will be settled by a judge usually with a 50/50 or maybe a 60/40 ruling. I.E. both party's loose. You loose your money and they loose the truck and any outstanding bills.

You can tell them they suck and you want them to stop working on your vehicle. I would document (somehow with a voice recorder or video....check local laws first) of them admitting to breaking or causing issues. Then request they stop work and release the truck. Now most likely you WILL have to pay the bill they present you with and then take the truck. Take it to a REPUTABLE shop THIS TIME and have them repair the truck WHILE documenting the issues found while tearing it down. Then sue with that documentation and the recordings or proof obtained earlier. In all states you are allowed to request your old parts. If you do they HAVE to save them and present them to you.

Normally I tell people in this situation to approve the "computer" (4r100 so the tcm is almost laughable at this point as the cause) and when they call and say it didn't fix anything then they diagnosed it wrong and why should you have to pay for it. HENCE why we charge for diag in the first place, but again that also requires a REPUTABLE shop.

Now for the only actual help I will give you. A lawyer and paying them a couple of hours to draft and file a "conjunctive release" is where you most likely have to go. This will REQUIRE the shop to release the vehicle to the owner (bill paid or not) and sets a court date for a small claims or civil suit. Most shops wont even show for the suit as they know they are in the wrong or think its a joke thereby awarding you the win and you can move on with your life. There is a long story on how I know this process first hand with a piece of sh!t customer playing games trying to get work for free, but it will work if you have to go to this extreme. Based on ONLY the info from YOUR side of this story this is about all you can do. OBVIOUSLY NONE of us on here are lawyers or giving you direct legal advice, but maybe it will help. Always consult a professional when it comes to legal matters.....maybe NOT one that is in the negative category of "3 for 3".
post #19 of 25 Old 06-27-2018, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Great news! After having a very firm discussion with them yesterday I got off work today and as I was going home I got the call that the truck worked. They installed a defective solenoid pack.

I picked it up and took it home.
SparkyF250 and djmaguire like this.

'02 F-250 7.3
180/80% Stage 2 Full Force Injectors
S&B Intake
Hydra running Gearhead Tunes
5" Straight Pipe
Bellowed Up-Pipes
Bilstein 5160 Resi's
Rough Country Dual Steering Stabilizer
etc, etc
post #20 of 25 Old 06-28-2018, 12:37 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
What was the final bill?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode