Need work truck...have questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 Old 07-06-2017, 06:09 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need work truck...have questions

So I just joined up here and I'm hoping to get some help. I have a part time landscaping business that I've been doing for about 8 years now. I have gotten very very busy just this year and I'm wanting to stop using my personal truck because business is just getting a little bigger than I had imagined.

I was using my 2002 Silverado 2500HD up until last summer. I sold it and got a 2015 Silverado 2500HD with the gas engine. Just seems hard to find used Silverado's with the Duramax motors and the used Fords are a lot more abundant from what I am able to tell while searching.

I'm really not a brand loyalist in regards to wanting a work truck. I want something older that I'm not afraid if it gets dinged up or real dirty. I'd also like a diesel too. I have a 14 foot dump trailer that I hauled 12 yards of mulch in recently and my truck did not like it. Specifically, going up any inclines or getting it going from a stop. That's my main reason for wanting a diesel. Also, with wanting to look at older trucks, the diesel seems like a more reliable option than gas anyways.

So before I joined here I was researching the Fords. From what I'm able to tell from "older" trucks is this; the early 2000's 7.3 diesel is great and then it jumps to the years 2008-2010 and the 6.4 diesel. It appears I should stay far away from the 6.0? I think at this point, looking at the 7.3 is not in the equation just due to how old the rest of the truck would be. So would the 2008-2010 years be the truck to search for? Again, I'm not sure if all this is fact, just from reading at different sites online.

I'd like a diesel engine, an extended cab, 4x4, A/C, and an 8 foot bed although 6 is doable. I'd like to keep the price at 10,000 max but if that's not realistic, than a few more thousand could be doable. With that said, does that sound like my search parameters are realistic?

My current truck is rated to tow 13,000 pounds on the hitch and that is max. That 12 yards of mulch plus my dump trailer was right around 12,925. Are the older trucks even able to tow that much on the hitch? Seems like those weights might be something newer over last 2 -3 years or so?

At any rate, that's just a brief background of what I'm in need of, what I'm doing, and how I got here. Any help is appreciated. Also, anything to look for on a truck, what miles to stay under while looking, what might need replacing after I buy or anything that should have been recently replaced? I'm just looking for a good, reliable work truck that can tow good as well. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 Old 07-06-2017, 06:28 AM Thread Starter

Oh yeah another thing. I assume all the emissions stuff was put on Fords when.....after 2006? Is that something I would want to remove after getting the truck? I'm not too knowledgeable about diesels. Just going off of what I have read while browsing forums.
post #3 of 60 Old 07-06-2017, 07:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
No way your going to get a reliable diesel for 10k, certainly not a 6.4.

So it goes like this IMO, for a work truck

Chevy has/had a good gas motor, bad body. Wimpy suspension, smaller cab.
Ford gas motors are/where a little turdy, better body, strong everywhere else, good size cab, they tow and haul with confidence.

in a Superduty (99-16) diesel
7.3 is a very stout reliable motor with a weaker transmission. They do lack power stock and the newest one you'll find is still 14 years old. It's a lot about duty cycle here, lots of displacement but lower on power. Not to say it wouldn't work for you but one in nice shape around here is still $18k+

6.0 is a pretty good motor power wise and economy wise, but they have some issues that need addressing. maintenance princess

6.4 is the Hulk in a paper shirt. More power than all the rest, known to sh!t the bed, MUST be deleted, maintenance Queen. cheaper upfront maybe.

6.7 is the towing monster, the whole package is great for towing anything. $$ upfront, not great for short trips, can get buy with emissions with appropriate driving style, best suited for highway towing.

SO with the stop and go short trip lanscaping I would look for a 350 Gasser.
TaintlessEd likes this.

Personal Truck/Heavy Hauler 12 F350 XL 4x4 DRW CCLB 3.73 LSD Black
Shop built headache rack, tie downs, and knock down ladder rack, Tread plate bed mat, Airbags, Cheapo light bar, bug screen on the grill, transfer tank w/ pump and racor filter, shimmed overloads, CTS, X4 Tyrant tunes, Full Dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk285 View Post
Durapig you win the internets today hahahaha
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Just because your not paranoid doesn't mean their not out to get you...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 60 Old 07-06-2017, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durapig Eater View Post
No way your going to get a reliable diesel for 10k, certainly not a 6.4.

So it goes like this IMO, for a work truck

Chevy has/had a good gas motor, bad body. Wimpy suspension, smaller cab.
Ford gas motors are/where a little turdy, better body, strong everywhere else, good size cab, they tow and haul with confidence.

in a Superduty (99-16) diesel
7.3 is a very stout reliable motor with a weaker transmission. They do lack power stock and the newest one you'll find is still 14 years old. It's a lot about duty cycle here, lots of displacement but lower on power. Not to say it wouldn't work for you but one in nice shape around here is still $18k+

6.0 is a pretty good motor power wise and economy wise, but they have some issues that need addressing. maintenance princess

6.4 is the Hulk in a paper shirt. More power than all the rest, known to sh!t the bed, MUST be deleted, maintenance Queen. cheaper upfront maybe.

6.7 is the towing monster, the whole package is great for towing anything. $$ upfront, not great for short trips, can get buy with emissions with appropriate driving style, best suited for highway towing.

SO with the stop and go short trip lanscaping I would look for a 350 Gasser.
Good info...thanks for taking time to post that.

what years are the 6.7? I assume newer so what price range would I be looking at? 25 +?

I was thinking 10,000 because I have more of that "real work truck" type in mind. The bare bones, vinyl seats, steel wheels type deal. The ones you see municipalities or government agencies using. Maybe those are just too hard to find? I mean, if it has bucket seats and other amenities so be it. I just don't want something that looks so nice it's the same situation I'm in now with not wanting to ding it up.

So you are saying stay with gas? I thought the diesel would be better for towing that dump trailer loaded up with bulk material or other things as the business grows. What are the benefits of the 350 over the 250? Were you saying single wheels or dually?

Also about the 6.4...when you say sh!t the bed.... are you talking about the motor just blowing?
post #5 of 60 Old 07-06-2017, 08:44 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1634 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I would find a 99-2003 7.3l. You have a little more in maintenance then a gasser but fewer issues towing even a small trailer loaded weighs down a gassers already poor fuel economy. The real emissions nightmare began like this:

99-2003 7.3l the fuel injectors were basically all the emissions device it could handle. (come had cats some didn't)

2003-2007 they added an egr cooler and catalytic converters to all 6.0Ls 99% need a new oil and egr cooler with studs sooner then later.

2008-2010 the 6.4l had even more devices added two egr coolers, dpf system and a throw away engine... at the VERY BEST.

2011-now the scorpion 6.7l Fords first truly built by ford diesel. Its supposed to be reliable but stop n go would kill your dpf in short time causing downtimes, regens, poor fuel economy not good for a stop n go business like a lawn service company.

*stay away from dualies unless you are constantly taking 15k lb or more in trailer alone.
* only major difference from a f250 vs 350 is weight capacity of the leaf springs.

Try to find a gasser f250 or f350 or a 7.3l they will be a little older and less luxurious but if the ac works and it gets your A-B what more could you want?

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Its like me getting five 5 gallon bucks and throwing regular, mid, premium, #2 diesel and offroad diesel and then shooting a roman candle at each one to show which ones burns better."
post #6 of 60 Old 07-06-2017, 09:00 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
I'm very confident my 6.0 would be flawless in the landscaping business, but it took a lot to get it there, and there was weeks of downtime to get it so I'm confident in it. That would have been thousands in lost business. I honestly don't think it'd be any different for the 7.3 or the 6.4. I used to think the 7.3's were flawless, but they are 17 year old trucks with 17 year old problems. I'd look at the 6.4s problems. If the engine needs serious work will probably require cab off maintenance which is pricey.

I thought about opening something up with a business and always came back to a 6.7 either new or under warranty, but was too pricey for what I wanted to do.

2005 F250, 189,000 Miles
Bullet Proof HD Oil Cooler w/ Cold Weather Kit, Bullet Proof EGR, Bulletproof Water Pump, 7.3 Fan Clutch
Airlift 5k Airbags and Wireless Air
Edge CTS w/ EGT probe and Fuel Pressure Sensor.
15 MPG slick; 10 MPG towing 11k fifth wheel
Ravelco

6.0 Flush Procedure:

Good 6.0 Reading:
post #7 of 60 Old 07-06-2017, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
My gasser work truck does everything I want it to. Yeah gas mileage ain't the best. But maintenance is cheaper and doesn't really mind stop and go. The 5.4 is a turd. The v10 is nice. And gets about the same mileage as a 5.4. The new 6.2 get about the same mileage too. Has good power too.

My vote is 05+ gasser.
Durapig Eater likes this.

01 f-250, Standard
Rev tech 4" lift,37" military wrangler Mt tires
KC diy 66, Full force 160/100 and custom tunes from PHP
Banks inner cooler and full 4" exhaust, Diy S&B intake
Diy quad feed, Hydra, Isspro boost, pyro, and fuel pressure
3/0 battery cables with military style terminals

post #8 of 60 Old 07-06-2017, 09:12 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1634 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
This isn't to bash a 6.0L esp since I've owned three different versions:

2004 excursion

2004 f250

2006 f350

All of them needed a new oil cooler, egr cooler, studs within 6 months of owning them... I got out of paying for two of them because the dealer flat out lied but I got the salesmen to sign paperwork after they swore the mechanics did the studs. I paid $3700 for the 2004 f350 to get studded/deleted and then you HAVE to buy a tuner to get the egr off code removed and now you cant pass obdII inspections because the new software is much smarter.

A 6.0 is a great truck but I feel they are just to finicky... I would own one again but If I were looking for a work truck to beat on and maybe miss a service or two Id get a gasser or 7.3 anyway. I would daily drive the crud out of my 6.0L but you can't skip maintenance they just don't play well that way.

Within the first year of my 2004 f350 I had over $4k just to get it drivable. Within the first year of my 18 year old 7.3l I have under $800 in maintenance and repairs. Plus the 7.3l is cheaper on filters and better on fuel economy. I LOVED my 6.0l but the 7.3l was just cheaper to run and work with all at the expense of being a little slower and older.

again not bashing the 6.0L because I would get one again but for a landscape business I would choose a 7.3l or even a ford gasser. My coeworker has a 2004 f350 with a severely underpowed 5.4l and over 173k. All hes done is replaced spark plugs twice, and an aftermarket air filter and regular fluid/filter changes.
SparkyF250 likes this.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

"Its like me getting five 5 gallon bucks and throwing regular, mid, premium, #2 diesel and offroad diesel and then shooting a roman candle at each one to show which ones burns better."
post #9 of 60 Old 07-06-2017, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Man you guys are given some good information but aren't making it any easier! Ha ha.

I have the 6.0 in my Chevy 2500 HD right now and everything is fine except when I hook up that dump trailer. I'm getting like 6 miles per gallon and if it has a lot of bulk material on there it does not want to move well from a stopp or up inclines. I mean pedal to the metal! I just feel like I need something with more power that's why I was looking at diesel.

Especially with the higher torque it's really going to get that dump trailer moving from a stop and have the balls to keep going up hills.

It's fine for towing the mowing trailer A gas would be fine. If it was that, I would just stick to the Silverado because that's the truck I know. I ended up looking at Ford's because I cannot find any used Chevy's with a Duramax. There hardly out there. The ones that are there are all nice, or lifted. Whereas whenever I search for used fords, there are tons of them out there and the prices are affordable compared to the Chevy.

At any rate I'm still reading everyone's advice it's definitely appreciated.
post #10 of 60 Old 07-06-2017, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron mexico75 View Post
Good info...thanks for taking time to post that.

what years are the 6.7? I assume newer so what price range would I be looking at? 25 +?
11+ for the 6.7
I was thinking 10,000 because I have more of that "real work truck" type in mind. The bare bones, vinyl seats, steel wheels type deal. The ones you see municipalities or government agencies using. Maybe those are just too hard to find? I mean, if it has bucket seats and other amenities so be it. I just don't want something that looks so nice it's the same situation I'm in now with not wanting to ding it up.
I have a 12 CCLB DRW 4x4 xl work truck package, vinyl everything, mag wheels, ac, cruise control, power windows and locks, and some other things. even with 100k+ its still a very nice truck. I love my vinyl seats, I'm a contractor and the flavor of the year so far has been rotted bathrooms and busted dooky pipes so I can wipe my truck out with bleach

So you are saying stay with gas? I thought the diesel would be better for towing that dump trailer loaded up with bulk material or other things as the business grows.
All the big time landscapers around here have 250/350 4x4 regular cab mower towers/plow trucks AND stake beds/dump trucks. Also a diesel is a $10k up grade all its own.

What are the benefits of the 350 over the 250? Were you saying single wheels or dually?
capacity, nothing tows like a dually

Also about the 6.4...when you say sh!t the bed.... are you talking about the motor just blowing?
Sh!t the bed is code for you need a new motor
My truck is also my personal truck, the best work "truck" i have had have been beat to unrecognizable disposable gassers. 81/83 Toyota pickup with a wood bed $300, 99 subaru wagon $800, 02 Honda Odyssey $3000, it did have heated leather seats though.

If i was in your position I would Just pony up for a 550 V10 stake bed, you already have a 3/4 ton if need be. We'ere talking about making money, not doing burnouts and chasing girls.

If you get AC your guys will be hiding in the truck instead of working...

Just as @ChrisSki said a 6.0 would be a great work truck, always working on it! In all seriousness I did have a 6.0 and really liked it, but it cost me huge down time and that I can't afford. She may still be running around, I got her up to 170k and sold it not running rusting out for $12k.

Personal Truck/Heavy Hauler 12 F350 XL 4x4 DRW CCLB 3.73 LSD Black
Shop built headache rack, tie downs, and knock down ladder rack, Tread plate bed mat, Airbags, Cheapo light bar, bug screen on the grill, transfer tank w/ pump and racor filter, shimmed overloads, CTS, X4 Tyrant tunes, Full Dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk285 View Post
Durapig you win the internets today hahahaha

Just because your not paranoid doesn't mean their not out to get you...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode