Need work truck...have questions - Page 3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 60 Old 07-07-2017, 07:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
According to https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...1/campercd.pdf max GCWR is 20k and max conventional trailer is 10k.

5/8 of the idea is you wouldn't need the dump trailer 87% of the time.

your not going to get past 26001 on an 01 550 either.

Maybe get @Patriot and @Heavy_GD to chime in

Personal Truck/Heavy Hauler 12 F350 XL 4x4 DRW CCLB 3.73 LSD Black
Shop built headache rack, tie downs, and knock down ladder rack, Tread plate bed mat, Airbags, Cheapo light bar, bug screen on the grill, transfer tank w/ pump and racor filter, shimmed overloads, CTS, X4 Tyrant tunes, Full Dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk285 View Post
Durapig you win the internets today hahahaha
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Just because your not paranoid doesn't mean their not out to get you...

Last edited by Durapig Eater; 07-07-2017 at 07:33 AM. Reason: failed to mention
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 60 Old 07-07-2017, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,125 Times in 2,033 Posts
Mentioned: 432 Post(s)
Quoted: 3138 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Hmm... Since this is part time for you ... when it comes to laws, registration, and business insurance you need to decide which route you want to go.

CDL isnt required unless you have air brakes or a DOT number.

That dump bed truck is a good way to go... but what are you hauling? Stumps/grass/equipment?

Also in Va there is big money to be made plowing snow... keep that in mind too.

GD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
So says the internet... ...and so it shall be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
OK, thanks for the info. To show my ignorance, what is the problem with 3 nipples...
post #23 of 60 Old 07-07-2017, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Need work truck...have questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durapig Eater View Post
max GCWR is 20k and max conventional trailer is 10k.

5/8 of the idea is you wouldn't need the dump trailer 87% of the time.

your not going to get past 26001 on an 01 550 either.

Maybe get @Patriot and @Heavy_GD to chime in

Well that's good to know about the weight I guess if I ever needed to carry 12 yards of mulch like I did two weeks ago I could just hook the Silverado back up to it because it can tow 13,000 max.

I wish it were that easy not needing the dump trailer but when you do rip out jobs and brush removal, I've have filled that 14 foot dump trailer to the top and dumped it 4 different times on one job.

Also I do a lot of mulch jobs and the bed on that 550 couldn't fit the amounts I normally use. It would come in handy for smaller jobs though.

I guess just as a regular rig that would tow the trailer with mowers, it would work good. Then I would also have the option of bringing small amounts of mulch or being able to remove amounts of brush while out on cut jobs rather than having to bring the dump trailer as well or make separate trips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 60 Old 07-07-2017, 08:06 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1634 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
you'll need to get a class V hitch to haul 14k from the bumper. most 250s and 350s have a 10k rated hitch from the factory. I financed my current 1999 f250 with 120k for 1.99% from Pentagon Federal Credit Union. Try your local credit unions. much better rates for new/used auto loans.
ron mexico75 likes this.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

"Its like me getting five 5 gallon bucks and throwing regular, mid, premium, #2 diesel and offroad diesel and then shooting a roman candle at each one to show which ones burns better."
post #25 of 60 Old 07-07-2017, 08:10 AM
Serving Our Country!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy_GD View Post
Hmm... Since this is part time for you ... when it comes to laws, registration, and business insurance you need to decide which route you want to go.

That dump bed truck is a good way to go... but what are you hauling? Stumps/grass/equipment?

The OP needs to look at the https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/ and contact local DOT Inspection stations where he plans to operate. A LOT of states require a commercial for pulling any trailer that weighs 10k or more regardless of air,hydro,electric type of brakes etc.

He may not need a commercial license since I have yet to see a dump trailer that weighs more then 10k hauling yard waste but the FMCSA is gonna have all the answers. Plus getting a commercial entitles you to even higher fees for any driving violations even in your personal vehicle.
Heavy_GD likes this.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

"Its like me getting five 5 gallon bucks and throwing regular, mid, premium, #2 diesel and offroad diesel and then shooting a roman candle at each one to show which ones burns better."
post #26 of 60 Old 07-07-2017, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,125 Times in 2,033 Posts
Mentioned: 432 Post(s)
Quoted: 3138 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
agreed... thats where if you are a business its going to cost you, a LOT.

I can assure you that you wont drive around in a dump with a trailer full and the state boys wont raise an eyebrow.

GD

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
So says the internet... ...and so it shall be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
OK, thanks for the info. To show my ignorance, what is the problem with 3 nipples...
post #27 of 60 Old 07-07-2017, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinOOO9 View Post
you'll need to get a class V hitch to haul 14k from the bumper. most 250s and 350s have a 10k rated hitch from the factory. I financed my current 1999 f250 with 120k for 1.99% from Pentagon Federal Credit Union. Try your local credit unions. much better rates for new/used auto loans.

You know I was reading in the description to the link of that truck that was posted by a durapig eater and it says "extremely heavy duty hitch added". Guess I would need to call the dealer to see what that means.

So with the correct hitch is that 2001 350 still capable of ttowingthat much? or is more under consideration than just the hitch?

That's great information you provided about financing from the credit union. I actually bank with a credit union here in town so they might be an option.
post #28 of 60 Old 07-07-2017, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

Need work truck...have questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy_GD View Post

Yeah even though I'm part time I already have commercial insurance on my current truck all my equipment, general liability insurance on myself, and I am also getting ready to go 100% as far as getting a business license and being able to write things off for tax purposes etc. Just used to be a little side gig for some extra money and because I enjoy doing it. However I have grown so much this year it's actually becoming much more.

As far as the CDL I don't know if laws vary from state to state or it's a federal type deal, but I always thought at least in my state if you were over 26,001 pounds it required a CDL. But maybe you're right, it's a matter of having airbrakes or a DOT number?

As far as hauling That's why I bought my dump trailer this year and wasn't considering a dump body truck like the one we're talking about now. When I do haul it is topsoil, mulch, sometimes Riverstone, debris from rip out jobs like old shrubs and small trees grass, hedge clippings etc.
Heavy_GD likes this.

Last edited by ron mexico75; 07-07-2017 at 08:25 AM.
post #29 of 60 Old 07-07-2017, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinOOO9 View Post
The OP needs to look at and contact local DOT Inspection stations where he plans to operate. A LOT of states require a commercial for pulling any trailer that weighs 10k or more regardless of air,hydro,electric type of brakes etc.

He may not need a commercial license since I have yet to see a dump trailer that weighs more then 10k hauling yard waste but the FMCSA is gonna have all the answers. Plus getting a commercial entitles you to even higher fees for any driving violations even in your personal vehicle.

Yeah I'll have to check out that site. I remember when I just bought my dump trailer 3 1/2 months ago I was on the phone with the Virginia State police and the DMV etc. Needing to know how much I was going to register the trailer for as far as what it was rated. The dump trailer can haul more weight and has a combined weight rating more than my 2500 Silverado is capable of towing. Was thinking that would be a liability if there is ever an accident or anything. So I had the registration derated at the DMV just for liability reasons. I spoke to several state police officers in the commercial enforcement division and they said they aren't really worried about people like me it's just the big trucks. Seems the states just north of here Maryland Delaware New Jersey and above are the real tightwads with messing with anybody besides big trucks.
Heavy_GD likes this.
post #30 of 60 Old 07-07-2017, 08:29 AM
Serving Our Country!

Garage
Regarding the "heavy duty hitch" you can look on the actual hitch it will say its capacity. but you are still limited by the trucks sticker.

simply adding a 14k hitch to a truck that came with a 10k hitch doesn't increase the capacity. If you are ever pulled over while exceeding the towing capacity your getting a ride home lol.

Regarding states vs Feds YOU MUST FOLLOW BOTH its a double edged sword and kind of why I don't work outside of my state anymore. interstate commerce requires so much more paperwork, fees, licensing, equipment etc.

For you I would just make sure you don't exceed the trucks capacity and keep doing what you are doing

Most of the stuff I was referring to was for freight movement in/out of your state of residence but for a lawn type service you offer (congrats by the way that's its growing) you just need a truck that can legally tow your trailer and be maintained economically. get a nice low mile 7.3l and keep up on fluids n filters and your gonna do fine
ron mexico75 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode