Need work truck...have questions - Page 2 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General Diesel Discussion Discuss everything else pertaining to Diesel Pickups.

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 60 Old 07-06-2017, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durapig Eater View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron mexico75 View Post
Good info...thanks for taking time to post that.

what years are the 6.7? I assume newer so what price range would I be looking at? 25 +?
11+ for the 6.7
I was thinking 10,000 because I have more of that "real work truck" type in mind. The bare bones, vinyl seats, steel wheels type deal. The ones you see municipalities or government agencies using. Maybe those are just too hard to find? I mean, if it has bucket seats and other amenities so be it. I just don't want something that looks so nice it's the same situation I'm in now with not wanting to ding it up.
I have a 12 CCLB DRW 4x4 xl work truck package, vinyl everything, mag wheels, ac, cruise control, power windows and locks, and some other things. even with 100k+ its still a very nice truck. I love my vinyl seats, I'm a contractor and the flavor of the year so far has been rotted bathrooms and busted dooky pipes so I can wipe my truck out with bleach

So you are saying stay with gas? I thought the diesel would be better for towing that dump trailer loaded up with bulk material or other things as the business grows.
All the big time landscapers around here have 250/350 4x4 regular cab mower towers/plow trucks AND stake beds/dump trucks. Also a diesel is a $10k up grade all its own.

What are the benefits of the 350 over the 250? Were you saying single wheels or dually?
capacity, nothing tows like a dually

Also about the 6.4...when you say sh!t the bed.... are you talking about the motor just blowing?
Sh!t the bed is code for you need a new motor
My truck is also my personal truck, the best work "truck" i have had have been beat to unrecognizable disposable gassers. 81/83 Toyota pickup with a wood bed $300, 99 subaru wagon $800, 02 Honda Odyssey $3000, it did have heated leather seats though.

If i was in your position I would Just pony up for a 550 V10 stake bed, you already have a 3/4 ton if need be. We'ere talking about making money, not doing burnouts and chasing girls.

If you get AC your guys will be hiding in the truck instead of working...

Just as @ChrisSki said a 6.0 would be a great work truck, always working on it! In all seriousness I did have a 6.0 and really liked it, but it cost me huge down time and that I can't afford. She may still be running around, I got her up to 170k and sold it not running rusting out for $12k.
That's a great post.....funny too! So you said 11+ for the 6.7? Another member on here, the poster before you, said I couldn't get a diesel used for even close to 10,000. So I'm kind of confused.

So I understand what you're saying by stepping up to a 550. Maybe work another three for five years down the road if I'm growing as much as I am over the past year or two right? However, I would like the ability to plow snow. I'm in Virginia so some years we get some other years we don't. That's kind of the reasoning for wanting the 4 x 4.

So you think a V 10? Wouldn't it be worse off on gas mileage than I am now with the 6.0 in my Chevy towing the dump trailer? I was under the impression diesels got a lot better gas mileage especially when towing compared to gas with heavy loads.

Guess I just have some thinking to do.

I hope more of you guys post as well because I love reading everyone's advice and opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 60 Old 07-07-2017, 02:52 AM Thread Starter

I did find this one locally. It has the 7.3, 1 owner, no accidents and 101,000 miles.

A Ford dealership is selling it. Is it a decent find?

post #13 of 60 Old 07-07-2017, 04:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Need work truck...have questions

That's a pretty good deal for he miles. Knock 2k-3k off the price and your golden. But it won't last long. So hurry up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
01 f-250, Standard
Rev tech 4" lift,37" military wrangler Mt tires
KC diy 66, Full force 160/100 and custom tunes from PHP
Banks inner cooler and full 4" exhaust, Diy S&B intake
Diy quad feed, Hydra, Isspro boost, pyro, and fuel pressure
3/0 battery cables with military style terminals

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 60 Old 07-07-2017, 04:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbluke55 View Post
That's a pretty good deal for he miles. Knock 2k-3k off the price and your golden. But it won't last long. So hurry up.

Yeah I thought it was pretty decent. That's the first one I've seen with Miles that low. Most are well over 200,000. The fact it only had one owner is also nice as well.

The only thing I'm not real sure about is how do you finance a truck that old? I'm not positive but I thought banks don't like financing vehicles that are used for more than three years for the term of the loan which would make this a hefty payment.

Also I thought you could not get financing for old vehicles like that so I'm not sure how it works. Definitely don't have the cash to pay for it all at once.
post #15 of 60 Old 07-07-2017, 05:01 AM

Garage
The dealership can get it done. They have lenders that are pretty flexible. One trick I've been using is get a few quotes on interest rate. Get the lowest and tell them what it is. They will beat it. My wife's armada has an interest rate of 2.1%.

01 f-250, Standard

post #16 of 60 Old 07-07-2017, 05:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yeah I thought it was pretty decent. That's the first one I've seen with Miles that low. Most are well over 200,000. The fact it only had one owner is also nice as well.

The only thing I'm not real sure about is how do you finance a truck that old? I'm not positive but I thought banks don't like financing vehicles that are used for more than three years for the term of the loan which would make this a hefty payment.

Also I thought you could not get financing for old vehicles like that so I'm not sure how it works. Definitely don't have the cash to pay for it all at once.

OK thanks for that. Well that's an unbelievable rate on your wife's vehicle. I always thought used vehicles were higher like I'm expecting around 7% unless I'm not being realistic. I always thought used vehicle rates you get totally hosed on.

On another note… Do you think the 99 through 2004 with a 7.3 would be the best choice out of any used fords out there?
post #17 of 60 Old 07-07-2017, 06:05 AM

Garage
For your price range and what your using it for. Yes.

If I was you I would be looking at something more along the lines of this.

https://westslope.craigslist.org/cto/6174038065.html

224k ain't bad.
Durapig Eater likes this.

01 f-250, Standard

post #18 of 60 Old 07-07-2017, 06:06 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Quote:
That's a great post.....funny too! So you said 11+ for the 6.7? Another member on here, the poster before you, said I couldn't get a diesel used for even close to 10,000. So I'm kind of confused.

So I understand what you're saying by stepping up to a 550. Maybe work another three for five years down the road if I'm growing as much as I am over the past year or two right? However, I would like the ability to plow snow. I'm in Virginia so some years we get some other years we don't. That's kind of the reasoning for wanting the 4 x 4.

So you think a V 10? Wouldn't it be worse off on gas mileage than I am now with the 6.0 in my Chevy towing the dump trailer? I was under the impression diesels got a lot better gas mileage especially when towing compared to gas with heavy loads.

Guess I just have some thinking to do.

I hope more of you guys post as well because I love reading everyone's advice and opinion.
"No way your going to get a reliable diesel for 10k, certainly not a 6.4." That was me. Model year 2011+ is what i was referring too. and yes 25k would be a good deal on a used one, BUT I still wouldn't use one for a local round town short trip stop and go type truck unless it was deleted.

I think the v10 will get better towing than your chevy. They love gas, but it's not as bad as one would think. The best thing about them is they are frigging timex tanks, easy maintenance and fire up instantly in the cold. A 7.3 would be a fine choice too, just be aware they cost more up front and maintenance. You can buy a metric arse load of gas for the difference in price.

Thats a good find how bout 2001 Ford F350, Richmond VA - 122270402 - CommercialTruckTrader.com

It would seem your looking for another truck very similar to the one you have now, remember this isn't your truck it's your company's truck.

Personal Truck/Heavy Hauler 12 F350 XL 4x4 DRW CCLB 3.73 LSD Black
Shop built headache rack, tie downs, and knock down ladder rack, Tread plate bed mat, Airbags, Cheapo light bar, bug screen on the grill, transfer tank w/ pump and racor filter, shimmed overloads, CTS, X4 Tyrant tunes, Full Dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk285 View Post
Durapig you win the internets today hahahaha

Just because your not paranoid doesn't mean their not out to get you...

Last edited by Durapig Eater; 07-07-2017 at 06:15 AM.
post #19 of 60 Old 07-07-2017, 06:44 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
The 2003's pickups are 6.0s. Some of the excursions are 7.3s. Maybe a few 7.3 pickups were made. Anyway, that way you can be sure at the dealer.

I would think a Ford dealer would not sell a lemon. I would expect they would send that to auction.

If it is the 6.0 just budget for $6k in repairs and three weeks downtime soon after you get it, and if it doesn't happen then that's a bonus.

One good thing about getting a truck like you have now is you don't have to relearn it. I spent months getting to know how the 6.0 operates and never want to go through that again.

2005 F250, 189,000 Miles
Bullet Proof HD Oil Cooler w/ Cold Weather Kit, Bullet Proof EGR, Bulletproof Water Pump, 7.3 Fan Clutch
Airlift 5k Airbags and Wireless Air
Edge CTS w/ EGT probe and Fuel Pressure Sensor.
15 MPG slick; 10 MPG towing 11k fifth wheel
Ravelco

6.0 Flush Procedure:

Good 6.0 Reading:
post #20 of 60 Old 07-07-2017, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durapig Eater View Post
"No way your going to get a reliable diesel for 10k, certainly not a 6.4." That was me. Model year 2011+ is what i was referring too. and yes 25k would be a good deal on a used one, BUT I still wouldn't use one for a local round town short trip stop and go type truck unless it was deleted.

I think the v10 will get better towing than your chevy. They love gas, but it's not as bad as one would think. The best thing about them is they are frigging timex tanks, easy maintenance and fire up instantly in the cold. A 7.3 would be a fine choice too, just be aware they cost more up front and maintenance. You can buy a metric arse load of gas for the difference in price.

It would seem your looking for another truck very similar to the one you have now, remember this isn't your truck it's your company's truck.

OK got you thanks for clarifying that point.

Wow man that is a great find on that F350 dump! I know exactly where that place is at.... not too far for me.

That's like killing two birds with one stone isnt it? I mean the issue I'm having towing that dump trailer when loaded would be alleviated two fold. By that I mean having the diesel with more torque and having a dually to handle the trailer even better.

The only thing I would be concerned about is reaching a point where a CDL would be required. In Virginia it's 26,001 pounds or over.

My dump trailer empty is 4525 pounds. It has a max capacity with the wood sides I put on it of 9475 pounds. Totally maxed out the weight of the trailer with a full load would be 14,000. I guess it depends on how much that F350 ways and with the max capacity of it is loaded if that would exceed that 26,001 pound threshold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode