• 1 Post By TeddyD
  • 1 Post By cletusjermal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 12-03-2019, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New issue

Current temperature this morning in Florida was 35į.

Started my truck, let the truck idle for about 10 to 15 minutes while I hooked up my trailer and did a few other things.
when I drove off, the oil temperature was right at 105 deg.

Going though the neighbor hood about 15-20 mph, everything was good. When I hit the main road, I immediately noticed the truck would not go over 35 to 40 mph.

I saw what you would see with your breath in the winter coming out of the exhaust. Figured it was cold and still warming up. After a few more minutes (2-4) of driving at this low speed everything appears to be normal. I was able to get up to speed and carry on with no other issues. No check engine light or any other lights on my dash came on. Everything was normal.

The truck is new to me for past 2 weeks. 2019 with 16k miles. This is the first cold snap weíve had here. The temperature has dipped down to the 50s and 60s last week, but nothing like the morning.

One guy said it may have to do with the engine, transmission and rear differential having sensors and keeping everything at a low speed until it warms up? I dont know!
For the rest of the day, all was well. This morning, I was at 85% on my exhaust filter being full.

Is this normal or what am I missing here?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9215.jpeg
Views:	51
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	725689  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-03-2019, 04:58 PM
Premium Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Garage
It's been colder than that here in Michigan and I've never had that issue. I also don't warm the truck up for more than a minute or so and then drive away. Moisture out of the exhaust is normal until the exhaust system warms up.

2019 Agate Black F250 Lariat SCAB 6.7L | LineX Premium | Extang SolidFold 2.0
post #3 of 10 Old 12-03-2019, 05:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
One thing you forgot to add was your DPF % screen was at 90% after this happened. I believe what happened was that the truck was at 100% and started to regen which would explain the white smoke out of the exhaust. It was able to regen to get you down to 90% when you took your photo. Since the engine was not up to full operating temp and was under load, the trucks power could of been limited until operating temps were reached. Regen increases EGTs and when combined putting that under the load of a trailer could possibly trigger a failsafe to engage. I have had my truck automatically regen while sitting in my driveway at -35*C. The regen started right after I hit the command start and the truck was not even close to operating temp. The truck is supposed to meet certain operating parameters to start a regen but if it needs a regen, it will do one.

No, I’m not psychic. I am on the other forum as well and saw your post. A lot of guys there are saying that your tranny could be screwed and get it into the dealer ASAP. A lot of those users don’t even own one of these trucks and only post about what they are going to do to their 2020 truck when they buy one in 5yrs. Lol. . You are doing the same hookup tomorrow morning and you know that the dpf screen is at 90% now so you should be safe knowing you won’t hit a regen cycle right off the bat. I bet you will be fine tomorrow. You just hit the trifecta today with not being at normal operating temp, regen and under load.

Also, it’s good to know that the DPF % screen is a dirty liar. Your % will increase no matter if the filter is plugged or not. These trucks are programmed to to regen at max 500 mile intervals as well. Highway driving under good conditions won’t cause your DPF to be 100% full at 500 miles. I have taken them apart after 500 miles and there was no restriction. Also, 100% full on your screen is not really full. A completely plugged up ford DPF filter is actually 300%. That would be a total replacement and you would be in limp mode long before you reached that.

Let me know how it goes tomorrow.

(Edited for spelling errors. New phone today lol)
R&Rpowerstroke likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to TeddyD For This Useful Post:
LiberyHill Billy (12-04-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 12-04-2019, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

I just now saw this reply... Yesterday afternoon I had my remote start installed. They also activated the DPF screen for me. When I drove away, the DPF was at 85%. When I took that pic, I was home and obviously it went up 5%. Maybe your theory on the Regen took it down 15% in a matter of a few minuted? This truck is 2 weeks new to me and Ive put about 700 miles on it so far. So I musta done a Regen since then? How do you know when this happens? Nothing pops up on my dash.

This morning the temps were around 39ish degrees. No issues thankfully.
Maybe the moons were aligned just right and they wanted to screw with me yesterday
Is there a way to do a manual Regen, is it recommended, or just let the truck do it when it needs it?

"A lot of those users donít even own one of these trucks and only post about what they are going to do to their 2020 truck when they buy one in 5yrs." I about spit my coke every where.. Thats some funny stuff!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyD View Post
One thing you forgot to add was your DPF % screen was at 90% after this happened. I believe what happened was that the truck was at 100% and started to regen which would explain the white smoke out of the exhaust. It was able to regen to get you down to 90% when you took your photo. Since the engine was not up to full operating temp and was under load, the trucks power could of been limited until operating temps were reached. Regen increases EGTs and when combined putting that under the load of a trailer could possibly trigger a failsafe to engage. I have had my truck automatically regen while sitting in my driveway at -35*C. The regen started right after I hit the command start and the truck was not even close to operating temp. The truck is supposed to meet certain operating parameters to start a regen but if it needs a regen, it will do one.

No, Iím not psychic. I am on the other forum as well and saw your post. A lot of guys there are saying that your tranny could be screwed and get it into the dealer ASAP. A lot of those users donít even own one of these trucks and only post about what they are going to do to their 2020 truck when they buy one in 5yrs. Lol. . You are doing the same hookup tomorrow morning and you know that the dpf screen is at 90% now so you should be safe knowing you wonít hit a regen cycle right off the bat. I bet you will be fine tomorrow. You just hit the trifecta today with not being at normal operating temp, regen and under load.

Also, itís good to know that the DPF % screen is a dirty liar. Your % will increase no matter if the filter is plugged or not. These trucks are programmed to to regen at max 500 mile intervals as well. Highway driving under good conditions wonít cause your DPF to be 100% full at 500 miles. I have taken them apart after 500 miles and there was no restriction. Also, 100% full on your screen is not really full. A completely plugged up ford DPF filter is actually 300%. That would be a total replacement and you would be in limp mode long before you reached that.

Let me know how it goes tomorrow.

(Edited for spelling errors. New phone today lol)
post #5 of 10 Old 12-04-2019, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
There are no notifications for when the truck is in a regen. What you will notice is your fuel mileage goes down a few mpg and you will also see the DPF % drop by 5% increments. Some guys have used after market monitors that show when a regen is in process.

How did your truck do this morning when you pulled the trailer? How long did your command start delay this morning in 35ish temps? I’ve been replying to a lot of your threads on both these forums. Lol.

Oh, and don’t worry. I own one of these trucks. Lol
post #6 of 10 Old 12-05-2019, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

The temp yesterday was around 39 ish. The remote start did have a 2-3 sec delay from when I started it. So I am happy about that. There were no issues with towing with the trailer. It pulled like a champ right out of the gate. Maybe all the moons were aligned the other day and I hit the jackpot lol.. I did notice today that the filter showed 99% clogged. through out the day it finally down to 90%.
I did notice a faint surfer smell coming from the exhaust when I was walking round the truck. May have been in middle of Regen then.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-05-2019, 10:28 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
If your truck is having issues at 35* something is wrong. That is not cold. I drive my truck after sitting outside in 10-20* weather a lot with no issue. I have driven it in 9* with no issue. Doesn't matter what the DPF screen says. It still drives normal. My DPR filter screen goes in 5% increments. I have never seen 99%. I have pulled my 5th wheel when it is 10* outside after sitting all night with no weird issues. Just take it slow until everything warms up and its happy. It doesn't hold up at 35-40 mph. I don't warm it up either. I just get in turn it on and go. Don't go out and floor it right away but it should smoothly and gradually accelerate about 40. I don't think the truck will regen until it gets warm so i don't think it was regening as soon as you started. But I'm not sure about that.

2017 F350 6.7L 4x4 FX4 SRW CCSB Lariat Ultimate

Soldó2002 F350 7.3 4x4 SRW CCLB. GTP38R, PIS 175/80 injectors, Sam Wyse Stage 2 Trans, 6.0 cooler, Banks Intercooler, 4" Turbo back Exhaust, PHP tuned TS 6 position chip, CNC 4 Line feed, HPOP and HPX Lines. International bellowed up pipes. AFE Stage 2 Intake w/ Dry filter. Banks exhaust brake and smart lock. Hutch/Harpoon mod, 910 Valve springs, Billet intake plenums. Firestone airbags. Trailready full guard front bumper. PIAA Driving and Fog lights. Micky Thompson Wheels.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-06-2019, 04:49 AM Thread Starter

All seems fine now. Maybe truck had a brain fart! Who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletusjermal View Post
If your truck is having issues at 35* something is wrong. That is not cold. I drive my truck after sitting outside in 10-20* weather a lot with no issue. I have driven it in 9* with no issue. Doesn't matter what the DPF screen says. It still drives normal. My DPR filter screen goes in 5% increments. I have never seen 99%. I have pulled my 5th wheel when it is 10* outside after sitting all night with no weird issues. Just take it slow until everything warms up and its happy. It doesn't hold up at 35-40 mph. I don't warm it up either. I just get in turn it on and go. Don't go out and floor it right away but it should smoothly and gradually accelerate about 40. I don't think the truck will regen until it gets warm so i don't think it was regening as soon as you started. But I'm not sure about that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DE17853F-2E18-45AD-880C-40B7AB36D0D2_1575636549006.jpeg
Views:	31
Size:	775.9 KB
ID:	725785  
post #9 of 10 Old 12-06-2019, 09:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Mine will 99 also and then regen. I try to take it out and complete the regen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10 of 10 Old 12-06-2019, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC2019F250 View Post
It's been colder than that here in Michigan and I've never had that issue. I also don't warm the truck up for more than a minute or so and then drive away. Moisture out of the exhaust is normal until the exhaust system warms up.

We've had a cold snap here in Colorado and I haven't experienced this once.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode