• 3 Post By JustinOOO9

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 12-03-2019, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
MPG tricks/tips

I'm a new 6.7 Powerstroke owner. i recently bought a 2018 F-250. What are some of the best ways to optimize gas mileage?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-03-2019, 06:28 AM
Premium Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Drive down hill.

Joking aside, If I drive it very conservatively - keep RPMs down, I see maybe 1 to 1.5 mpg difference on the dash. When I first got the truck, I did hand calculations to see how accurate the MPG calc on the truck was. On mine, it was fairly close. I think that's hit and miss though. I've heard folks call it the "Lie-O-Meter".

My experience is that there isn't much I can do to really move the needle on fuel economy...It is what it is.

On a side note, if you have a load on the truck and are trying to keep the RPMs down for fuel economy, you will surely be running some very high exhaust temps. I know this from personal experience. Since I purchased a monitor, I have completely changed my driving style when I tow or haul. I watch the EGT - Not the MPG.
post #3 of 10 Old 12-03-2019, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil S View Post
Drive down hill.

Joking aside, If I drive it very conservatively - keep RPMs down, I see maybe 1 to 1.5 mpg difference on the dash. When I first got the truck, I did hand calculations to see how accurate the MPG calc on the truck was. On mine, it was fairly close. I think that's hit and miss though. I've heard folks call it the "Lie-O-Meter".

My experience is that there isn't much I can do to really move the needle on fuel economy...It is what it is.

On a side note, if you have a load on the truck and are trying to keep the RPMs down for fuel economy, you will surely be running some very high exhaust temps. I know this from personal experience. Since I purchased a monitor, I have completely changed my driving style when I tow or haul. I watch the EGT - Not the MPG.

nice. thanks for the info. what kind of monitor do you use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 12-03-2019, 07:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
i run the edge CS2.

2019 F350 6.7 CCSB 4x4 XL with STX 3.55 elocker LED license plate lights Iconic OEM running boards coverking seat covers AVS bug shield Edge insight CS2

04 F250 6.0L (sold at 254k and rollin stock HG, HPOP, injectors)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scha0786 For This Useful Post:
JoshBeStrokin10 (12-03-2019)
post #5 of 10 Old 12-03-2019, 10:20 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,079 Times in 1,008 Posts
Mentioned: 204 Post(s)
Quoted: 2582 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The first thing to remember is to not put "gas" in it. It will not get very good mileage if you do.

For better fuel mileage:
Keep your speed under 70 and you'll get better mileage. Keep it under 60 and it'll even be a little better.
Don't put a big lift or large heavy tires on it.
Get tires that roll well. The OEM Michelins are an example of that.
Pure diesel gets me a little better mileage than bio-blends. YMMV

Don't fret about mileage too much. It's a 4 ton vehicle, you're not going to get great mileage and still enjoy the ride.
HeavyAssault and nine9six like this.

Dexter
2017 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW- A few Forscan tweaks
My old Truck, now son's truck:
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW; SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SPD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
FICM;
FICM Tuner (currently Atlas40);
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
VK688 Oil Cooler Relocate with coolant re-route;
Water Pump;

O-ringed Heads; ARP Studs; Fel-Pro Gaskets;
Coolant Filter;
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 + iMFD with EGT & Fuel/Oil Pressure
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to G8orFord For This Useful Post:
post #6 of 10 Old 12-03-2019, 10:25 AM
Blow me to Bermuda!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Garage
My dad is always bringing up fuel mileage in his 6.7. I can't get it through his head: slow down.

He's 90+ MPH everywhere he goes.
HeavyAssault likes this.

Justin

2016 F250 6.7 PSD Lariat CCSB FX4 -|- 2006 F350 6.0 PSD Lariat CCSB FX4 -|- 1986 F250 6.9 IDI Lariat ECLB -|- 2008 F250 6.4 PSD XLT CCSB (sold!)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nine9six For This Useful Post:
post #7 of 10 Old 12-03-2019, 10:38 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Left Coast Geek Send a message via MSN to Left Coast Geek Send a message via Yahoo to Left Coast Geek
as important as speed, is going steady. on the highway, very gentle acceleration, anticipate far in advance if you're likely going to need to slow and start slowing early so you'll need to do less acceleration. if you come to a hill gently pick up a little extra speed before the grade starts, then don't try and force it to hold the speed, let it slow down a bit especially if the top is near. a cruise control will always try and maintain the precise speed set as it can't anticipate.
nine9six likes this.

2002 F250 Super Cab XLT longbed, white. stock except stereo and shell.

....old enough to know better....
post #8 of 10 Old 12-03-2019, 11:13 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 1662 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshBeStrokin10 View Post
I'm a new 6.7 Powerstroke owner. i recently bought a 2018 F-250. What are some of the best ways to optimize gas mileage?
There are actually some practical and affordable ways to make real work mpg boost in all pickups. I would do some research on ecomodder and learn up on aeromods. Pickups have some of the worst drag/aero designs of most types of vehicles on the road.

For example a basic full bed tonneau cover on the highway yields 99% 1-1.5mpg boost for pickups. add conservative driving and you can easily see a solid 2mpg on highway.

low rolling resistance tires, keeping stock if not lowering kits for truck height, adding a 2wd lower front bumper valance to get a version of an airdam used on big rigs, the infamous aerocap consistently yields 3mpg boost on pickups but is dramatically more expensive to make and not practical for most pickup drivers.

I caught the mpg bug and found a user bigdave on ecomodder. He has a 2000 f350 2wd 6sp manuall with 3:55 gears in the rear, 3in lowering kit, gear vendor overdrive, diy air dam, and aerocap hes getting 27mpg on the highway but his truck is not used like a regular pickup etc.

https://ecomodder.com/forum/member-big+dave.html

click on the stats tab and click on threads started to see his mods and testing. About as real-world as they get.

my advice to 90% of pickup owners get a tonneau cover if you can without sacrificing using the truck bed and enjoy the 1.5mpg boost. mine paid for itself on my bi-annual 2000 mile road trip. I traveled from CA to northern Idaho 2 times a year when I was in the military. Took same route, same black bear diner, same hotel etc. solid 1.5mpg boost both ways.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

"Its like me getting five 5 gallon bucks and throwing regular, mid, premium, #2 diesel and offroad diesel and then shooting a roman candle at each one to show which ones burns better."
post #9 of 10 Old 12-03-2019, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshBeStrokin10 View Post
Resist the temptation to mash down on the skinny pedal.

6.7s like up to 65 MPH, after that your mileage will suffer greatly.
post #10 of 10 Old 12-04-2019, 12:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinOOO9 View Post
I caught the mpg bug and found a user bigdave on ecomodder. He has a 2000 f350 2wd 6sp manuall with 3:55 gears in the rear, 3in lowering kit, gear vendor overdrive, diy air dam, and aerocap hes getting 27mpg on the highway but his truck is not used like a regular pickup etc.

https://ecomodder.com/forum/member-big+dave.html

click on the stats tab and click on threads started to see his mods and testing. About as real-world as they get.
Never heard of this forum. It's user interface seems a little archaic by comparison but it does have some good info. When I bought the truck I didn't expect stellar mileage but I do try to maximize it when it's convenient. If you have a regular commute, the best thing to do is get a baseline and then vary your driving styles and commute times (for instance 5 minutes can make a huge difference in the amount of traffic I encounter going to work) until you optimize your driving habits/style.

2017 Ford F250 XL 4x4 SRW, White
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in