• 1 Post By TeddyD
  • 1 Post By TeddyD

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 11-24-2019, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New owner here. Be gentle pls LOL...

New Power Stroke owner here. Actually its my first diesel. Unfortunately after I left the dealership, I then realized they didnít tell me anything about maintenance on this truck, Do's and Dont's etc etc. I would go back, but they are 2 hours away.

Truck is a 2019 XLT. It has 15,500 on the odometer. So even though it is used, its new to me.

Ive read several articles where the gas filter (one at the tank and one on the engine needs replacing at 15k, 20k or 30k miles. Which is it? Im freaking terrified of spending $10k on a fuel system. Today I drained the water separator beneath the cab. After about 1/2 gal of diesel, I stopped it. Didnít see any discoloration in the fuel, which I was happy about.

Being in Florida, should I be concerned about gelling of the diesel? It doesnít get below 30 deg for more than 10 times during the winter months.

Does turning off the truck as soon as you get to your destination a bad thing or must it idle for a few minutes?

How about leaving once you start your truck, Must it idle and warm up?

Any additives to clean things up in the engine and make it run at optimal performance?

Anything else I NEED to know to have a healthy truck?

One thing I am stoked about is the improved fuel mileage Ill get. On way to dealership once I hit the interstate, cruise was set on 70. Maybe 5 times I accelerated to 75. But for 70 miles on interstate, flat road and light traffic I avg right at 15.4 MPG on my 16 F250 gasser.
On way home, I repeated this process exactly like I did on the gasser with the power stroke. I got 21.2 MPG. WHOA! Yea, I am impressed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8955.png
Views:	54
Size:	3.55 MB
ID:	725489  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-24-2019, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Garage
Congrats on the truck!

Check out this website. It may give you the info you're looking for.
Ford Maintenance Schedule

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Darryl | Owner/Operator
Truck | 2001 F350 7.3L CCLB |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

5th Wheel |

Proud US Navy Veteran | '76-'80 -
-
- 'Gator Navy
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperCrutyPS For This Useful Post:
FrankFL (11-24-2019)
post #3 of 9 Old 11-24-2019, 10:08 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Garage
Congrats!

If you dig a bit I think General consensus is oil every 5k and fuel filters every 10k (it’s what I do)

Drain separator monthly. I run a de-emulsion additive simply because I do not trust fuel when I travel. Many stations I state have non-brand diesel. That is if a shell owner can get diesel, he will get B20 and you might never know.

At 30k trouble free miles. I do send in oil every change to Blackstone. Insurance I guess, but when I go to sell it will be a nice thing to have I think.

2017 F250 CrewCab Short, leveled with 35/12.5/20 Toyo MT. Fuel 20x10

TOTALED: 2010 F-350 6.4 Crew-Short, Sinister Deletes, Coolant Filter. SCT with Tunes. CTS2 monitor, Mishi Rad, CFS Intercooler. Cold Side pipe, Down Pipe. 2.5 level, 295/65/20 Kenwood 9900 Apple Car Play
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 11-24-2019, 10:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Fuel filters should be changed at engine hour intervals. Mileage doesn’t mean anything compared to fuel consumption when dealing with filters. Owners like me idle a lot. Good rule is to change the filters at 600 engine hour increments. You can see your engine hours on your display screen under truck info.

As for oil changes, if you are just doing normal driving, you can follow the oil life monitor in your truck. I have an 2018 so I have to use ford pass to see my engine oil life percentage. I heard 2019s might actually have the oil life percentage screen on their display under truck info but I am not sure. I do a fair bit of idling since I use the truck for work so I change the oil every 8000miles or when I hit about 20% oil life remaining. If you are constantly towing or have a high payload, you should change it more often. I also run 5w40 synthetic since I live in arctic climates and do not like switching between conventional and synthetic between seasons.

As for letting the truck cool down before shutting it off, the only time this is necessary in your climate is if you have been under heavy load for an extended timeframe. Say a 300 mile trip pulling a 10,000lb trailer. You would want to let the truck cool down for about 5min before shutting off but if you end up pulling that trailer around town and stopped at red lights on your way home, you will be fine shutting it off right away.

As for warming the truck, you don’t have to since you don’t get freezing weather. I would take it easy until you reach operating temperature though. Dont start it and then go racing with it lol.

I drain my fuel separator every 6000 miles or so. Be careful with the yellow pet**** as some guys have broken them pulling on them too hard when trying to drain the frame mounted filter. Also, be careful with the clips on the engine mounted filter. Some have broken those too and it’s a pain to replace.

Always try to fill up at a reputable fuel station and always try to use newer stock of def fluid. You don’t have to buy the expensive def from the dealer. It’s all the same crap.

If you want to have control over your vehicle, I suggest researching and learning to use Forscan. It’s a computer based program that lets you enable and disable features on your vehicle. (Have fog lights on when you have high beams enabled, disable the double horn honk on push start vehicle when you walk away from your running truck with keys in your pocket etc).

One main thing you should do right off the bat is add dielectric grease to the electrical connectors mounted to the frame beside your spare tire. These 2 connectors are not water tight and are the main source of electrical gremlins. Also grease the connector at the back of your trailer hookup. Disconnect the clip behind the bumper and add grease there. You’ll be glad you did.

Enjoy the truck. Everyone on this forum is really great at helping out new owners. Also, read your owners manual. I left mine in the bathroom for about a week when I first got my truck. Lol
Flnbar and fatfendered39 like this.

Last edited by TeddyD; 11-24-2019 at 11:01 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TeddyD For This Useful Post:
FrankFL (11-28-2019)
post #5 of 9 Old 11-24-2019, 11:00 PM

I can’t believe the forum censored pet c o c k. Lol.
kingranchdude likes this.
post #6 of 9 Old 11-27-2019, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyD View Post
Also, read your owners manual. I left mine in the bathroom for about a week when I first got my truck. Lol

2017 F350 DRW King Ranch FX4
Blue Jeans w/Caribou Accent
No mods...yet. Enjoying stock and full warranty!
2004 F350 6.0 - Traded 2/4/17 (Pity the fool who bought it)
post #7 of 9 Old 11-27-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd4010 View Post
Quote:
Also, read your owners manual. I left mine in the bathroom for about a week when I first got my truck. Lol
😂😂😂😂😂&#x1f 602;
jd4010 likes this.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-27-2019, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Awesome, thank you very much!

Quote:
Fuel filters should be changed at engine hour intervals. Mileage doesn’t mean anything compared to fuel consumption when dealing with filters. Owners like me idle a lot. Good rule is to change the filters at 600 engine hour increments. You can see your engine hours on your display screen under truck info.

As for oil changes, if you are just doing normal driving, you can follow the oil life monitor in your truck. I have an 2018 so I have to use ford pass to see my engine oil life percentage. I heard 2019s might actually have the oil life percentage screen on their display under truck info but I am not sure. I do a fair bit of idling since I use the truck for work so I change the oil every 8000miles or when I hit about 20% oil life remaining. If you are constantly towing or have a high payload, you should change it more often. I also run 5w40 synthetic since I live in arctic climates and do not like switching between conventional and synthetic between seasons.

As for letting the truck cool down before shutting it off, the only time this is necessary in your climate is if you have been under heavy load for an extended timeframe. Say a 300 mile trip pulling a 10,000lb trailer. You would want to let the truck cool down for about 5min before shutting off but if you end up pulling that trailer around town and stopped at red lights on your way home, you will be fine shutting it off right away.

As for warming the truck, you don’t have to since you don’t get freezing weather. I would take it easy until you reach operating temperature though. Dont start it and then go racing with it lol.

I drain my fuel separator every 6000 miles or so. Be careful with the yellow pet**** as some guys have broken them pulling on them too hard when trying to drain the frame mounted filter. Also, be careful with the clips on the engine mounted filter. Some have broken those too and it’s a pain to replace.

Always try to fill up at a reputable fuel station and always try to use newer stock of def fluid. You don’t have to buy the expensive def from the dealer. It’s all the same crap.

If you want to have control over your vehicle, I suggest researching and learning to use Forscan. It’s a computer based program that lets you enable and disable features on your vehicle. (Have fog lights on when you have high beams enabled, disable the double horn honk on push start vehicle when you walk away from your running truck with keys in your pocket etc).

One main thing you should do right off the bat is add dielectric grease to the electrical connectors mounted to the frame beside your spare tire. These 2 connectors are not water tight and are the main source of electrical gremlins. Also grease the connector at the back of your trailer hookup. Disconnect the clip behind the bumper and add grease there. You’ll be glad you did.

Enjoy the truck. Everyone on this forum is really great at helping out new owners. Also, read your owners manual. I left mine in the bathroom for about a week when I first got my truck. Lol
post #9 of 9 Old 11-29-2019, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Another newbie as fare as the 6.7 here. Coming from an 02 7.3 I'm sure I have a lot to learn. I'm along for the ride.

Dave
2019 F350 CCLB dually, Lariat 4x4 auto
02 F350 CCLB Lariat 4x4 auto. Sold
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to welove2drive For This Useful Post:
FrankFL (11-29-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode