LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 Old 11-14-2019, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Do I need a Diesel?

Hey y'all!

I currently have a 2016 F250 gasser. Bought it new off the lot and from day 1 I have avg exactly 10 mpg between towing a trailer and not towing one.. Currently I avg around 8 mpg when towing a 7k lb trailer 3-4 times a week. On the interstate going 65-70, I can get about 16-17 mpg without a trailer.

I have found several 2018-2019 F250 diesels locally with under 20k miles for around $43k.

By going with a diesel, will I see any drastic increase in my MPG or should I just stay in my gasser?
Some folks I have spoken with have tried to steer me away from diesel.. They tell me the maintenance is high, they leak oil, always in the shop etc etc.. I would think this is true for older trucks... But for new ones?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8838.jpeg
Views:	74
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	725213  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 Old 11-14-2019, 10:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Switching to a diesel solely for MPG purposes is not the best idea. The maintenance costs will more than likely just negate the "poor" fuel economy in the 6.2. I mean....what did you realistically think you would get MPG wise with a Super Duty?

If you think paying more for diesel, and if you can squeeze out a few extra MPG's is worth it for you, and paying more for repairs when they arise, then by all means go for it. It's going to come down to what you want.
hogbody likes this.

'11 F-250 RCLB FX4 6.7 - Deleted, SCT GTX - Tyrant tuned, Duratrac's on Moto Metal 962's - Sold
'17 Grand Cherokee SRT - Stock
'97 SVT Cobra - Few things
'88 Mustang LX - Built 306ci, built AOD, 4.10's - Sold
'06 F-350 ECSB Lariat FX4 6.0 - Studded, deleted etc..-Sold
'07 F-250 XLT ECSB 4x4 6.0 - Studded, deleted etc..-Totaled
post #3 of 64 Old 11-14-2019, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,126 Times in 2,034 Posts
Mentioned: 432 Post(s)
Quoted: 3140 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
based on cost savings/maintenance, stay with gas.

GD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
So says the internet... ...and so it shall be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
OK, thanks for the info. To show my ignorance, what is the problem with 3 nipples...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 64 Old 11-14-2019, 11:20 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1634 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankFL View Post
Hey y'all!

I currently have a 2016 F250 gasser. Bought it new off the lot and from day 1 I have avg exactly 10 mpg between towing a trailer and not towing one.. Currently I avg around 8 mpg when towing a 7k lb trailer 3-4 times a week. On the interstate going 65-70, I can get about 16-17 mpg without a trailer.

I have found several 2018-2019 F250 diesels locally with under 20k miles for around $43k.

By going with a diesel, will I see any drastic increase in my MPG or should I just stay in my gasser?
Some folks I have spoken with have tried to steer me away from diesel.. They tell me the maintenance is high, they leak oil, always in the shop etc etc.. I would think this is true for older trucks... But for new ones?

Too be honest that's not bad fuel economy. My current 7.3 diesel gets about 16-17 avg highway empty and towing varies but usually:

towing the offroad truck or side by side-14mpg
towing the 5th wheel 10-13mpg
town/city-14mpg
highway empty/no trailer-16-17mpg average

You will get 1-3mpg better towing but maintenance COULD be more expensive: If you change your own oil, fuel, air filters you will not notice a big difference. The one big con is the emissions devices. Regens require the diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) and you get poor fuel economy when its in progress. Personally it sounds like you have a good situation but heck its your money so as long as you count the cost/small qwerks for a diesel you will probably brake even if not spend a tad more on maintenance cost. the 2013+ 6.7ls have a fantastic reputation. we have a fleet of 6.7 cummins/powerstrokes updated all to 2013/2014 plus that are worked hard every day and they are not in the shop any more or less than the few gassers we have etc.
hogbody likes this.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

"Its like me getting five 5 gallon bucks and throwing regular, mid, premium, #2 diesel and offroad diesel and then shooting a roman candle at each one to show which ones burns better."
post #5 of 64 Old 11-14-2019, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I see yalls point here. Why do folks go with a diesel if mpg will be slightly the same and maintenance will be higher compared to a gasser?
post #6 of 64 Old 11-14-2019, 11:53 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Gasser: Cheaper up front, "down the road" in fuel costs add up.....

Diesel: Expensive up front, saves on fuel costs "down the road"....
So if you drove two trucks the same, the gasser will save on day one mile per mile. After 100k miles the diesel is going to show you where you spent your money.

That being said I'm hearing plenty of people jumping ship back to gassers due to it's lower costs even if you swap out a motor every 100k.

Pick your poison...

Officially The Biggest Midget In The Game

post #7 of 64 Old 11-14-2019, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,126 Times in 2,034 Posts
Mentioned: 432 Post(s)
Quoted: 3140 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankFL View Post
I see yalls point here. Why do folks go with a diesel if mpg will be slightly the same and maintenance will be higher compared to a gasser?
because 1000 ftlbs of torque and smiles per gallon.
zsargent, jman37, nine9six and 4 others like this.

GD

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
So says the internet... ...and so it shall be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
OK, thanks for the info. To show my ignorance, what is the problem with 3 nipples...
post #8 of 64 Old 11-14-2019, 12:23 PM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1634 Post(s)
Garage
Same as heavy. I picked a diesel based on cost overall. We bought a home and renting a truck was not a cost effective option and deliveries were a PITA to schedule. Plus for my driving style the gassers got the same if not worse then my past/current diesels and since I do all preventive maintenance and MOST repairs I saved money in my overall annual cost of ownership. Its different with each person though. I technically have no need for a pickup with my current job/house situation but I choose it since its paid off, and allows me to tow the side by side/trailers.

Personally your situation sounds like the gasser is doing just fine and that's never bad. My situation was just a bit different where the 5th wheel weighed over 10k lbs, and sure a gasser could probably do it but im just not gonna take going 30-40mph up hills when for a few dollars a month extra I could maintain a safe speed/better towing mpg. Plus my truck is loaded 995 of the time it moves, if not I have a car for the short trips. So it just comes down to:

What you can afford
pros/cons
Personal preference

I would not pay attention to the generalized statements of diesels just leak and are always in the shop etc. I bought my current 1999 from the original owners estate and he had the dealership paperwork and maintenance since its delivery. I have less then $3000 in maintenance and repairs and it only went to the shop for one of the repairs. My 1999 also does not leak a drop after I spent less than $500 of the above $3000 to replace some o rings, and a couple of oil lines etc.
Heavy_GD and hogbody like this.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

"Its like me getting five 5 gallon bucks and throwing regular, mid, premium, #2 diesel and offroad diesel and then shooting a roman candle at each one to show which ones burns better."
post #9 of 64 Old 11-14-2019, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Garage
I'd say, If you're going to be towing a lot, go diesel. Gas engine's torque number is near what the horsepower is (+ / -). Diesel's torque numbers are near double the engine's horsepower number (+/ -). Nice to have the extra torque if you're towing a lot.
If you're towing a couple times a year or more in the summer taking the boat to the river / lake near by -or- RVing in the summer, you could probably stay w/gas and just "live with it."

Now....don't forget to factor in the "I just want a diesel, Dang it!" My '01 is in my signature below. 258K+ on the clock, runs like a top, still pulls my 5er just fine! If I quit RVing, I'm keepin' the truck....'cuz I want a diesel Dang it!!!

Darryl | Owner/Operator
Truck | 2001 F350 7.3L CCLB

5th Wheel |

Proud US Navy Veteran | '76-'80 - Petty Officer 2nd Class (E5) - U.S.S. Point Defiance (LSD-31) - 'Gator Navy
post #10 of 64 Old 11-14-2019, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My trailer towing every day is for my job. When the trailer is empty, 3-4k lbs, truck tows good, barely know its there. But when loaded. Damn, takes forever to get uptown speed. Guess that is where the extra torque comes into play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCrutyPS View Post
I'd say, If you're going to be towing a lot, go diesel. Gas engine's torque number is near what the horsepower is (+ / -). Diesel's torque numbers are near double the engine's horsepower number (+/ -). Nice to have the extra torque if you're towing a lot.
If you're towing a couple times a year or more in the summer taking the boat to the river / lake near by -or- RVing in the summer, you could probably stay w/gas and just "live with it."

Now....don't forget to factor in the "I just want a diesel, Dang it!" My '01 is in my signature below. 258K+ on the clock, runs like a top, still pulls my 5er just fine! If I quit RVing, I'm keepin' the truck....'cuz I want a diesel Dang it!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode