LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2019, 07:39 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjock15 View Post
Love ya Heavy and G8 but by god what difference does it make. I havenít calculated mpg once in my 15 years with 6.0 or 1.5 years with 6.7. Will you make any decisions with this data or is it just for fun? I know my truck says on the screen Iím always getting 7.1 but I never believe the computer but it does provide ďrelativeĒ trend data so see when in getting better or worse fuel mileage. But what it really is? My S#it ainít going to move itself so diesel going to burn
I'm sure you all have been asked many times while fueling about your fuel mileage, as have I. I usually tell them that I pay so much money for insurance, maintenance & repair that I don't care about mileage. It is what it is. I think I last calculated gas mileage on my '57 Chevy when I was 17 or 18 after my Dad told me how to do the calc. and I'm now 68...lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spirit For This Useful Post:
jetjock15 (11-15-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2019, 07:51 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 962 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I don't pay a whole lot for insurance, maintenance, or repairs so I got to focus my attention somewhere. LMAO I have used the same dry style air filter for over 100k now.

Officially The Biggest Midget In The Game

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-15-2019, 09:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
All this talk of sub $3 diesel makes me sad, last night I put ~23.25 gallons of diesel in which cost me $100, My first tank at something like 42 gallons was $175 and some change.

I used to track all my fuel then one day got bored or doing it and had not good reason to do so anymore so I stopped. I have not missed it any but YMMV.

To the OP it sounds like your gasser is fine for what you need, if you want a new truck and you want a diesel then it is your money to spend how you see fit. For me I got the 6.7 after having the 6.0 because, 1) I wanted a lariat trim and all the trucks on the lots are diesels in that trim, 2) I really enjoy driving them even if my trailer does not really need the diesel, 3) I liked the idea of having an exhaust brake. I also have 4wd with electronic locking rear diff, do I need it no but that is the one on the lot that was the right combination of what I wanted and having it was not a deal breaker for me.

2019 F350 6.7 CC LB Lariat
2003 F250 6.0 CC SB Lariat (Sold)
Edge CTS2, BPD EGR Cooler, DC Power 185 Alt and wiring kit, BPD Water pump, BPD Aluminum radiatorFICM upgraded at FICMRepair.com, Felpro HG, ARP Studs, UCF O-Ringed Heads, 6.4 pushrods, DieselSite HPOP, BPD remote mount oil cooler (Removed), Sinister Coolant Filter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2019, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPGale View Post
All this talk of sub $3 diesel makes me sad, last night I put ~23.25 gallons of diesel in which cost me $100, My first tank at something like 42 gallons was $175 and some change.
Right? Near Sacramento - Been paying $3.89 for Propel Fuel (Bio-mass) which is actually a bit lower than ULSD. Having a 38 gal tank (usually put in about 32 - 34 gals) puts me @ the $124 - $130 mark. That's one way to walk lopsided after draining the wallet!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Darryl | Owner/Operator
Truck | 2001 F350 7.3L CCLB |

5th Wheel |

Proud US Navy Veteran | '76-'80 -
-
- 'Gator Navy
Old 11-16-2019, 12:04 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCrutyPS View Post
Right? Near Sacramento - Been paying $3.89 for Propel Fuel (Bio-mass) which is actually a bit lower than ULSD. Having a 38 gal tank (usually put in about 32 - 34 gals) puts me @ the $124 - $130 mark. That's one way to walk lopsided after draining the wallet!
Thatís high for diesel. My last 3 tanks were $2.56/gallon. I remember the days of $4/gal gasoline. Filling up the navigator back then was over a hundred bucks a pop.
HeavyAssault likes this.
Old 11-16-2019, 04:57 AM
Premium Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankFL View Post
Hey y'all!

I currently have a 2016 F250 gasser. Bought it new off the lot and from day 1 I have avg exactly 10 mpg between towing a trailer and not towing one.. Currently I avg around 8 mpg when towing a 7k lb trailer 3-4 times a week. On the interstate going 65-70, I can get about 16-17 mpg without a trailer.

I have found several 2018-2019 F250 diesels locally with under 20k miles for around $43k.

By going with a diesel, will I see any drastic increase in my MPG or should I just stay in my gasser?
Some folks I have spoken with have tried to steer me away from diesel.. They tell me the maintenance is high, they leak oil, always in the shop etc etc.. I would think this is true for older trucks... But for new ones?

In my opinion and economically speaking, a person needs a diesel when he needs diesel power to get a load down the road and is unable to do that (reasonably) with a gas engine.

Itís really the same reasoning as upgrading from a Ĺ ton to a ĺ to a 1-ton.

I remember the 454 & 460 gasser days and pulling 10,000lb+ steel trailers in the flats and stopping at a lot of gas stations. This was before diesels had turbos, direct injection, etc. At the time, Ford was offering-up their n/a 6.9 IDI producing something like 160-170hp. I would outrun them and out pull them all day long with my big block gassers. With the right engine and truck, there is little doubt gas can handle your work load and the moderate mph difference will simply be reflected in somewhat increased job costs.

If you go with a diesel, it will cost you more money. Conversely, if you go with a diesel, it will pull loads much easier. I have the maintenance & repair files on each truck Iíve owned (mostly diesels) and the increased cost per mile for a diesel (compared to gas) is just a fact and plainly evident. Some newer models are better able to defer that cost which can (temporarily) help with the cash-flow. Some older diesels are (much) worse than others. If you are thinking about a fairly recent 6.7, then youíre ahead in the repair portion but youíre also spending more dollars at the front-end for the purchase cost. The good news is that if you are upgrading trucks because you plan to haul more weight in the future, then you should be making more money and that justifies and pays for the diesel truck upgrade cost (and larger water trailer). The downside of course is that ďtransportation costsĒ is always located on the expense side of the ledger Ė the cheaper you can keep it, the more money in your pocket.

If you can skate along for a few more years and the new Ford 7.3 gasser proves-out, I would suggest picking-up a used one as a compromise. It sounds like it is custom made for applications such as yours.

Good luck whichever way you go Ė
HeavyAssault and jetjock15 like this.
Old 11-16-2019, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjorgis5569 View Post
Thatís high for diesel. My last 3 tanks were $2.56/gallon. I remember the days of $4/gal gasoline. Filling up the navigator back then was over a hundred bucks a pop.
I wouldn't mind seeing those prices here in CA. If I remember right, the lowest I've ever paid here was $2.00 and the highest I've paid was $5.00. And that wasn't buying ULSD @ BIG Name places like Chevron, Shell or Mobil.

Darryl | Owner/Operator
Truck | 2001 F350 7.3L CCLB |

5th Wheel |

Proud US Navy Veteran | '76-'80 -
-
- 'Gator Navy
Old 11-17-2019, 05:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
By going with a diesel, will I see any drastic increase in my MPG or should I just stay in my gasser?...

My 2008 F150 with the 5.4 gas engine got 8 miles to the gallon pulling my then 2006 toy hauler.

My 2015 F250 with the 6.7 diesel engine is getting 10 miles to the gallon pulling my now 2019 toy hauler.

2015 F250 Platinum
Firestone Airbags
Old 11-17-2019, 05:27 AM

Quote:
I see yalls point here. Why do folks go with a diesel if mpg will be slightly the same and maintenance will be higher compared to a gasser?
For me, it was safety first!

We camp every weekend during the warm months. I have three daughters, ( A gun and a shovel! ).

The diesel gives me much more confidence driving in the mountains out west.

The diesel also makes it a much more enjoyable drive.

I used to see 4000 RPMs going up hills at 60 MPH in the gas trucks I owned. I did not like that. But I let the truck(s) take the beating just because I could!

Plus the wife said I could get the diesel!

2015 F250 Platinum
Firestone Airbags
Old 11-17-2019, 05:30 AM

Quote:
My trailer towing every day is for my job. When the trailer is empty, 3-4k lbs, truck tows good, barely know its there. But when loaded. Damn, takes forever to get uptown speed. Guess that is where the extra torque comes into play?
Definitely a big difference in gas versus diesel towing.

The diesel of today is AWESOME! My wife doesn't like it when I take off from the line at the stop light going up against other motorists while I'm towing! But my girls love it! Probably not a good role model.

2015 F250 Platinum
Firestone Airbags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in