LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 09-22-2019, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel stabilizer

Hi All,

I have been in the 6.0 world for the last 6 years, the 6.0 finally broke down enough that my wife insisted that I buy a brand new truck, I know hard life right . So I now have a 6.7 that I am daily driving the first 1000 miles to break in following the instructions that ford gave. So here is my question, generally I am a low mileage truck driver as I have a fusion hybrid for my daily driver, in the 6.0 I used a fuel treatment to act as a fuel stabilizer, I have used both Stanadyne and currently have been using Archoil AR6200 for the 6.0, I found the stanadyne difficult to use due to the meauring requirements being difficult. I need to use something for the fuel in the 6.7 but also do not want to potentially contribute to any engine issues, I am happy to use the ford recommend PM22 but can find no reference to helping stabilize the fuel.

Is there a good fuel stabilizer that is recommend by ford will the PM22 work well?

Thanks

James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-22-2019, 09:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
I came from the Cummins motor not to long ago. I always used the Diesel Kleen but prior to putting in my powerstroke I was looking on here and other places. The consensus was no for that so I looked for something else. I bought some Optilube to try out in the smaller pre measured containers. To be quite honest with you, I haven't noticed any difference in performance, mileage, or anything else it claims to do. The containers I have say half bottle or full bottle per tank. I tried half bottle the first batch and then moved up to the full bottle per 48 gallon tank. Like I said I didn't see any difference between half, whole bottle, or nothing at all. I'm running the summer blend so I don't know if that's the difference or not. Maybe their winter blend is the bees knees that everyone claims it is.
post #3 of 16 Old 09-22-2019, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warboar View Post
I always used the Diesel Kleen but prior to putting in my powerstroke I was looking on here and other places. The consensus was no for that
I have not seen that consensus here. Granted I have not searched every thread. A number of folks seem to believe there is nothing wrong with using it. Especially since Cummins approved it.
I am genuinely curious because I typically use the winter formula.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 09-22-2019, 11:43 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Garage
Recommend by Ford? Prob not.

I was running arch oil as a water de-emulsifier. It has no Cetane in it.

I decided to switch to Hot shot secrets, it is a de-emulsifier and Has cetane. I have to say, regents are down, and mileage is up slightly.

2017 F250 CrewCab Short, leveled with 35/12.5/20 Toyo MT. Fuel 20x10

TOTALED: 2010 F-350 6.4 Crew-Short, Sinister Deletes, Coolant Filter. SCT with Tunes. CTS2 monitor, Mishi Rad, CFS Intercooler. Cold Side pipe, Down Pipe. 2.5 level, 295/65/20 Kenwood 9900 Apple Car Play
post #5 of 16 Old 09-22-2019, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsizzle View Post
Recommend by Ford? Prob not.

I was running arch oil as a water de-emulsifier. It has no Cetane in it.

I decided to switch to Hot shot secrets, it is a de-emulsifier and Has cetane. I have to say, regents are down, and mileage is up slightly.
I'm going to try it. Had my first regen on my 19 3 days ago at about 280 miles on the clock
post #6 of 16 Old 09-23-2019, 02:39 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
People need to explore other brands to get what works best for your motor. I have found Howe's is working great for me.

Officially The Biggest Midget In The Game

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 16 Old 09-23-2019, 03:51 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyAssault View Post
People need to explore other brands to get what works best for your motor. I have found Howe's is working great for me.
Howes is a good product. We ran it in all our trucks and equipment as an anti gel. Our stuff was older, so it helped with lubricity as well when they took sulfur out of diesel.
HeavyAssault likes this.

2017 F250 CrewCab Short, leveled with 35/12.5/20 Toyo MT. Fuel 20x10

TOTALED: 2010 F-350 6.4 Crew-Short, Sinister Deletes, Coolant Filter. SCT with Tunes. CTS2 monitor, Mishi Rad, CFS Intercooler. Cold Side pipe, Down Pipe. 2.5 level, 295/65/20 Kenwood 9900 Apple Car Play
post #8 of 16 Old 09-23-2019, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Thanks all, I am only really concerned with the fact that in my old 6.0 I could go a couple of months between fill ups with only a 32 gallon tank, now it is 48 gallons it may take even longer. I just want to make sure I am keeping everything fresh. I am tempted to run the Ford stuff or continue using my Archoil, honestly never seen any mileage improvement or noticed the truck running better, just a case of knowing I am keeping the fuel in top condition.
HeavyAssault likes this.
post #9 of 16 Old 09-24-2019, 05:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
I run Howes Meaner Kleener in the summer and Howes Diesel Treat in the winter. All purchased at fleet farm or Menards.

I operate 3 diesels (1- ford 6.0, 1 ford 6.7 and a little diesel jetta).
HeavyAssault likes this.
post #10 of 16 Old 09-24-2019, 07:39 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPGale View Post
now it is 48 gallons it may take even longer. I just want to make sure I am keeping everything fresh.
Top it up when you get to 1/2 tank. I don't use but maybe 20 gallons a month in the winter so, to keep condensation from forming, I top up the diesel and DEF at half tank. More volume means less temperature fluctuations in the tank.
HeavyAssault likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode