Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2017 F250 XLT - First Time Truck Buyer

2K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  scha0786 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello!

Finally able to look at getting my first diesel truck. I was curious what peoples opinions were on a 2017 F250 XLT that has 46,000 miles on it. Or fairly close to that mileage at least. Going to look at it on saturday. The carfax is clean with service records, but it was listed in Canada as a commercial vehicle with two owners before being transferred to Michigan where it was titled. The only maintenance it had done was a door latch freezing concern, a sensor replacement, and wiring repaired, I'll have to find out more info on those items. Not sure if the "commercial" status is something that should be considered a very bad thing or not.
I read on a few forum posts that a big things to check the idle hours vs total hours, and for modifications. Of course as well to make sure everything else works.

Looking forward to hopefully soon joining the Powerstroke Family. Thanks so much in advance! Looking forward to hearing peoples opinions/expertise.

#2 ·
Being a commercial vehicle and from the great white north, I'd suspect you should look at engine hours more so than miles. Probably a lot of idle time.

Reactions: lozonr
#3 ·
let me guess, its white too. lol

I've been looking for 3 years at trucks before I finally pulled the trigger on a new one. I looked at so many and got excited only to realize it was plated as commercial or rental.

Personally, when I saw that i would delete from my app.

How many employees do you know that drive their work truck like their personal car????? Or worst, it was most likely driven by multiple drivers each with their own bad habits.

THere is a reason why those rental and commercial registered trucks are cheap on the carmax website.

#5 ·
46,000 of commercial use is like 95,000 of personal use.

I know that when I got to use a company car is was max power at every light because it wasn't mine to pay for. Just beat on it and get to and from as fast as you can without breaking the law.

#6 ·
#17 ·
Man mine is looking better and better when I go to sell it. 28k on the odometer. I added leather, it has XLT premium package with heated seats, large sync display and so on. Leveled on 35’s with 20” wheels. It’s going down the road for a dually.

#7 ·
FOr instance......

I custom ordered my 2019 F350 XL Crew cab short box 4wd with STX package and all the options I wanted for 48,169 plus tax title and license.

I was looking at used ones with less options and 30-60k miles on it for that price. My sticker was 57,790. You just need to know how the game works and you can get a pretty good discount on a new one. Also, my interest rate on my loan is only 2.75%. If I bought used for the same price, my loan rate was higher.

Attachments

#8 ·
Yea I looked at a few that were near me and they wanted basically new prices for the things. So when I came across that truck in a state over, for 40,000. It intrigued me. But the search shall continue never the less. Just gotta get into something soonish, my lease is comin due.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 ·
correction, my MSRP was 57,790, see above for my build sheet.

#11 ·
One thing I found is that no one really stocks F350s anymore. You can find F250 all day.

SO that really limited me.

Another thing I noticed is that almost all the F350s were either built for contractors (bare bones) or built like a cadillac.

What I did was build it on fords website and submitted to like 10 dealers via email thru fords website. I got a zillion calls for like 7 days but I was able to shop 10 dealers and create a competitive market for their business. This allowed me to beat them down to their bottom dollar and had the final two dealerships fighting over a $100 difference, lol.

Once I selected the dealer I then slapped down my PCO of 2k from ford and you should have seen the look on their face. They were like, dang your getting a really good deal.

When you order direct from the factory the dealerships love it because the truck literally is on their lot for hours, not days or months. THey buy the truck from ford and get reimbursed by you within days. They don't have to spend resources on marketing to sell because its already sold.

Why let a salesmen build your truck when you can do it yourself and get exactly what you want, no compromises!!!!!!!!!!!!

I mean your already looking at spending 45k, you might as well get what you want and be happy about it.

Reactions: gypsees
#13 ·
That's pretty high but not ridiculously so. However, for 45k miles that's a lot of hours in general. That's an average speed of 17 mph.

Here's what my '17 shows.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: gypsees
#14 ·
So in your opinion is that enough hours to just shy away from that and find something else?

The only thing that was nice about the truck is that it had every single option that I wanted it.

But I’m not about to spend 40k for the thing to explode in 10k miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#15 ·
I doubt it will explode in 10k.

I would be worried about the emissions system though. Idling a lot is what eventually plugs up the DPF.

personally, Id look elsewhere.

#18 ·
For future reference any vehicle licensed in Ontario that is owned by a company or used for more than general transportation to your place of employment is considered commercial. It’s basically has to do with how much extra you’ll pay for plates every year, and insurance. I’m fighting that at the moment, because my pickup is licensed under myself but insured under the business. However in Ontario if you license a vehicle commercial finance companies will only allow you to finance a vehicle for two years. According to them a commercial vehicle has a lifespan of 3 years.

#19 ·
I found I could buy a new one for about the same price as low mileage used ones. Now is a good time to buy the leftover 2019s. You can get much better deals on XLTs than the Lariat, Limited, KR or Ultimate. I got my Lariat for 13.55% less than MSRP. My coworker bought his XLT for around 45K. Hard to find used ones for that. Good luck in your search. Remember, no matter how good it looks to you, someone else got rid of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.