Anyone interested in PPF? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion (2017-2019) General 6.7 Discussion

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 07-27-2019, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict
 
MrOneEyedBoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,705
Thanks: 46
Thanked 145 Times in 79 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Anyone interested in PPF?

I bought this kit for the rockers, headlights, door cups, and hood but I was getting too much dust behind the film, so I stopped. Im just going to pay a shop to do it. The kit is missing 3 pieces, and I can get them if need be as the shop that cut the film for me can cherry pick pieces if need be. These are cut on the Xpel patterns using 3m scotchgard PRO film. The kit was over 450 when I bought it, looking to get 300 shipped as is. The piece missing shouldnt cost over 50-75 bucks at most, and Id say not even that much. My loss your gain...

thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	67443675_609851062756799_2201767486251073536_o.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	545.6 KB
ID:	721161  


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MrOneEyedBoh is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 07-27-2019, 09:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

 
jetjock15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vegas
Posts: 4,321
Thanks: 66
Thanked 212 Times in 194 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Prolly dumb Q but what is it and what it do?

19 F450

I’ve owned previous vehicles but I won’t waste the forum space to list them, oh ya, and you don’t care
jetjock15 is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 07-27-2019, 01:54 PM
N.S.D.Q.


 
HeavyAssault's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Middle VA
Posts: 8,333
Thanks: 59
Thanked 418 Times in 403 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Paint Protecting Film??



Officially The Biggest Midget In The Game

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HeavyAssault is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 Old 07-27-2019, 04:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 154
Thanks: 0
Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I had a shop install x-pel (the higher end line) on my painted bumpers, rockers, door sill, tailgate, mirror caps and above the windshield. The shop said the normal kits or patterns they use have terrible coverage and they go above and beyond and cut strips for the areas the kits miss. Above the windshield was the worst. There was a 1/2” gap from the top of the windshield to where the kit started. That was where I wanted protection because every truck I have ever owned has gotten numerous rock chips there. The kit also has about an 1/8” gap around the fog lights which was not filled by the shop. The shop did a great job with installation but both mirror caps started to peel. The shop told me they will redo the caps under warranty but I have to leave them the truck for the entire day. Ugh. The shop also did the edge of the doors to avoid me causing door dings to other vehicles and all the painted area behind the door handles. I didn’t even ask for that lol.

The paint protection is a must on these trucks especially the painted bumpers. I had 32 rock chips in the bumper within the first week of driving the truck.
TeddyD is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 07-27-2019, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict
 
MrOneEyedBoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,705
Thanks: 46
Thanked 145 Times in 79 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjock15 View Post
Prolly dumb Q but what is it and what it do?

Whtas up. Think of a screen protector for your trucks paint. Being that the paint on these trucks arent that thick and the aluminum will corrode pretty fast ( unassumingly so ) its a piece of mind for the paint. Someone bought the headlights and the mini hood from me, so I just have whats left of the rockers. I can let them go pretty cheap...

There are many manufactures of the film, but 3M is the innovator, Xpel took it further, Suntek is the easiest to install but IMO honestly 3M is still on top.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MrOneEyedBoh is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 07-27-2019, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict
 
MrOneEyedBoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,705
Thanks: 46
Thanked 145 Times in 79 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyD View Post
I had a shop install x-pel (the higher end line) on my painted bumpers, rockers, door sill, tailgate, mirror caps and above the windshield. The shop said the normal kits or patterns they use have terrible coverage and they go above and beyond and cut strips for the areas the kits miss. Above the windshield was the worst. There was a 1/2” gap from the top of the windshield to where the kit started. That was where I wanted protection because every truck I have ever owned has gotten numerous rock chips there. The kit also has about an 1/8” gap around the fog lights which was not filled by the shop. The shop did a great job with installation but both mirror caps started to peel. The shop told me they will redo the caps under warranty but I have to leave them the truck for the entire day. Ugh. The shop also did the edge of the doors to avoid me causing door dings to other vehicles and all the painted area behind the door handles. I didn’t even ask for that lol.

The paint protection is a must on these trucks especially the painted bumpers. I had 32 rock chips in the bumper within the first week of driving the truck.
Thew Xpel patterns are spot on and ALL films have to be stretched to fit even the kits. Now when I say stretch, its not a tug stretch more of a wet the panel and film and push it with your palm stretch.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MrOneEyedBoh is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 07-27-2019, 08:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 154
Thanks: 0
Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yup. I know what you mean. The kits still don’t do complete coverage unless the installer adds to the kits. It is very minimal what won’t be covered with the kit depending on the area it is applied but a good installer will make it perfect. Installing yourself is also fine if you have patience, which I do not.
TeddyD is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 07-28-2019, 04:54 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict
 
MrOneEyedBoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,705
Thanks: 46
Thanked 145 Times in 79 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyD View Post
Yup. I know what you mean. The kits still don’t do complete coverage unless the installer adds to the kits. It is very minimal what won’t be covered with the kit depending on the area it is applied but a good installer will make it perfect. Installing yourself is also fine if you have patience, which I do not.
Ehh I dont know what you mean, guess you're talking about wrapped edges? Id rather not get that personally and thats why I went with a kit. When wrapping edges that takes a lot for the adhesive to hold that radius and will eventually weaken. Plus typically dirt will collect on the back side of the edge because the adhesive it worked so hard to bond on that radius, again it gets weak.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MrOneEyedBoh is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome