18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 07-18-2019, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
MPG East Coast vs West Coast

Alright, so I bought a 2018 F-250 in South Carolina back in May. Uncle Sam tells me to move to the West-ish Coast (AZ) and that's where I'm at currently. In SC, I averaged high 17-18 combined MPG which I was pretty happy with, but here in AZ I'm averaging mid 15's. Granted I've only gone through about two tanks of fuel since we got here, but the truck only has about 3,000 more miles on it and the driving environment is similar between the two locations. Any glaring differences between these two ~sea level locations that might contribute to a 8-13% drop in fuel economy? Is there a difference in diesel fuel coast to coast or can I chalk this up to the higher temps? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 07-18-2019, 10:22 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,041 Times in 970 Posts
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 2507 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Actually, higher temps themselves shouldn't really make that much difference in mileage unless you're talking about going from 30's to 100's. That could contribute to some loss. The A/C running more might contribute more. Elevation could make a difference as well. If you were on the coast in SC and in the mountains in AZ, not only the elevation, but also the additional grades you have to pull could have substantial effect.

Dexter
2017 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW- A few Forscan tweaks
My old Truck, now son's truck:
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW; SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SPD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
FICM;
FICM Tuner (currently Atlas40);
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
VK688 Oil Cooler Relocate with coolant re-route;
Water Pump;

O-ringed Heads; ARP Studs; Fel-Pro Gaskets;
Coolant Filter;
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 + iMFD with EGT & Fuel/Oil Pressure
post #3 of 24 Old 07-18-2019, 12:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Humidity, poorer quality fuel? Guessing....but high 14's to low 16's is what I get with general driving in Phoenix.
HeavyAssault likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 07-18-2019, 12:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
My '04 starts getting better mileage as soon as I leave commiefornia
Hmmmmmm, higher fuel tax and decreased efficiency, I do believe I smell a conspiracy

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2004 F250 CCSB 4X4
4" Skyjacker lift
3:73 gears
35x12.5x18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on Method MR309 wheels
KDD heads, ARP studs, BD exhaust manifolds, DieselSite up pipes, Mishimoto degas bottle
PHP Insight PRO
PHP Atlas 40 FICM tune
post #5 of 24 Old 07-18-2019, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Voodooridr, I feel for you guys out in CA. I drove through your state for a brief period on our trip across the continent and could not wait to exit to AZ. We took the scenic route through the northern portion of the country stopping over in NC, OH, IA, SD, WY, CO, and NM before getting to AZ. When we drove through CA on the 40 I made it a point to stop for fuel before and after CA because I was not about to pay those ridiculous prices. Those prices equate to legalized extortion.
post #6 of 24 Old 07-19-2019, 07:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetbob76407 View Post
Voodooridr, I feel for you guys out in CA. I drove through your state for a brief period on our trip across the continent and could not wait to exit to AZ. We took the scenic route through the northern portion of the country stopping over in NC, OH, IA, SD, WY, CO, and NM before getting to AZ. When we drove through CA on the 40 I made it a point to stop for fuel before and after CA because I was not about to pay those ridiculous prices. Those prices equate to legalized extortion.
As of this past weekend it cost almost 150 dollars at 3.85 a gallon to fill my CCLB. Fun fact, most gas stations max your card swipe at 100 bucks. So you have to swipe again.

I can’t wait until the military moves me out of this crap hole.
post #7 of 24 Old 07-19-2019, 08:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Garage
Another thought, is your truck going into regen these past few tanks, possibly due to it not completing one and when at operating temp, starts up again?
post #8 of 24 Old 07-19-2019, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I can't say it's not, but I can usually tell by looking at the current MPG scale when it's in regen by how low it dips on the scale while cruising. And like I mentioned before, the driving environment that I'm in now is similar to that of SC aside from temperature and humidity. Meaning not a ton of stop and go, flat terrain at or slightly below sea level. Really the only differences are the lack of humidity and higher temps. The drop in MPG is slight so it's no big deal, it just got my attention and made me wonder.
post #9 of 24 Old 07-19-2019, 12:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
I live in CA and I average 16 to 17 according to the truck, mostly freeway driving. The double swipe on the gas pump is a regular deal. In fact I usually fill when I am half, it makes feel like I am not spending so much. Maybe the driving you are doing has changed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10 of 24 Old 07-19-2019, 01:58 PM
N.S.D.Q.

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Where in AZ are you now driving??

Officially The Biggest Midget In The Game

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode