7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 06-24-2019, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
BPD oil cooler and Driven Diesel trans cooler

Any one running these products? I thought someone mentioned a while ago they were going to do the oil cooler but never heard back. These trucks seem to run a lot hotter than the 6.0.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 F350 DRW Pro Comp 6" lift with OUO traction bars, 37" Nittos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 06-24-2019, 05:28 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,069 Times in 998 Posts
Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Quoted: 2567 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
@nighthawk285 installed the BPD oil cooler. Maybe @toren302 as well. Neither have been heard from since.
john galt likes this.

Dexter
2017 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW- A few Forscan tweaks
My old Truck, now son's truck:
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW; SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SPD)

FICM;
FICM Tuner (currently Atlas40);
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
VK688 Oil Cooler Relocate with coolant re-route;
Water Pump;

O-ringed Heads; ARP Studs; Fel-Pro Gaskets;
Coolant Filter;
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 + iMFD with EGT & Fuel/Oil Pressure
post #3 of 22 Old 06-24-2019, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Yeah this forum is dead compared to the 6.0 forum we came from.

2017 F350 DRW Pro Comp 6" lift with OUO traction bars, 37" Nittos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 06-24-2019, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by villestrip View Post
Yeah this forum is dead compared to the 6.0 forum we came from.
You can always go to the ford trucks forum and talk about what cab lights to install or what’s the best dashcam to use. Lol
HeavyAssault likes this.
post #5 of 22 Old 06-25-2019, 04:28 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
I have the trans cooler but havent had the time to install it yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 22 Old 06-25-2019, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
I already passed my theory to VStrip offline but to keep the discussion open, the temps are way higher specifically coolant and trans than the 6.0 and the oil too.

However with the 6.0 towing hot OAT and very heavy I could get the eng and trans to go temps to move the Dummy gauges up to very near approaching red, and when that happened my trans was 230 oil 250 water 220. The trans and coolant dummy gauges were higher than their normal dummy stops. I smoked my trans before I turned 50k and had done HGs twice including cracked heads. That truck was heavy hauling over its weight class. Now I tow same loads or even heavier with the 19 450 and I see trans 230s oil 240s and coolant 220 but the temps hold there real steady regardless if my trailer is 5k or 30k so my theory is the eng and trans have been engineered to operate in these higher temps. They proved a long time ago oil max lubricity occurs near 220 so I think new motors target this. Since I get these temps towing light OR heavy, AND my gauges are still midrange, I think it’s fine. And the system has adequate cooling ability to stop the temps from rising. That being said the digital readout pops on above the anolog sweep gauges at 220 coolant and 235ish trans so that’s saying something. The engineers figured you should be aware at that point but not caution lights or colors. I’m assuming the engineers tested the $#it out of these things and I should be able to tow a 30k trailer with an f450 all day long, but I guess that is a bit of a leap of faith lol. If I’m wrong this truck won’t last long!!

19 F450

Ive owned previous vehicles but I wont waste the forum space to list them, oh ya, and you dont care
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jetjock15 For This Useful Post:
ZMANN (06-25-2019)
post #7 of 22 Old 06-25-2019, 10:21 AM
Fummins Mod

Mentioned: 163 Post(s)
Quoted: 2220 Post(s)
Garage
if I can remember I'll shoot @nighthawk285 a text and ask him about it

Mike
2005 CCSB F250 4X4

P-Pump 12 Valve/NV4500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Cornville View Post
When a saint tells you, ya gotta listen.
post #8 of 22 Old 06-25-2019, 01:40 PM
Love all, Trust a Few...

Mentioned: 371 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
The trans cooler is a joke in the 6.7. It's a heat exchanger, basically like the oil cooler. The driven diesel one should definitely help.

@loxdce
post #9 of 22 Old 06-26-2019, 04:55 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Garage
I don't think it runs hotter at all, except for the trans. Is that because the temp sensor reporting that temp is in a different location or they really just run hotter, or something else? Don't know and not really concerned, it's operating how it was designed apparently. The cooling system is much more robust than in the 6.0, drops oil and coolant temps even faster.

There's always room for improvement, and that's where the aftermarket steps in. I guess if my truck was used for hotshot hauling, oil field work, construction, etc. and I'm driving it all day, every day towing heavy, I might look at upgrading some things. Are there a lot of them reporting issues? I haven't read about it.

So for my weekend/week long trips, whether towing the toy hauler or the utility trailer, even in 90+ degree weather, humidity and pulling hills of the Appalachians, I'm comfortable with the cooling performance. It doesn't hurt that I have an extended warranty as well.

- Michael
- If being an NCO was easy, we'd be called Officers.

2017 F350 Lariat DRW
- Click
for details

Sold 05OCT16 - 2006 F350 DRW - 175/Stock, UCF o-ringed heads, KC Stage 2 - Click
for details

Traded 01SEP18 '11 Ram 2500 Big Horn (Wife's), 6.7L Cummins - Click
for details
'13 XLR Hyperlite Toy Hauler 5er

Ford diesel documents

post #10 of 22 Old 06-26-2019, 06:05 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Garage
Did a bit more research on the topic for S&G.

Engine Cooling

Engine coolant flows primarily from the engine to the radiator circuit and back to the coolant pump. Coolant is sent from the coolant pump through the engine block and cylinder head. Separate coolant circuits from the engine feeds the EGR cooler, oil cooler, transmission cooler, and turbocharger with coolant. The coolant pump, operated by engine rotation through the accessory drive belt, circulates the coolant. A dual thermostat system are separate control valves actuated by coolant temperature. When both thermostats are closed, coolant flow bypasses the radiator circuit and returns to the coolant pump. When one or both thermostats are open, coolant flows through the radiator circuit to transfer engine-generated heat to the outside air. The transmission cooler is equipped with a thermostat that regulates coolant flow through the cooler.

The engine thermostat is located in the coolant crossover at the front of the engine and contains two thermostatic devices in one assembly. The thermostat regulates the engine coolant temperature by controlling the flow of coolant through the radiator. The two thermostatic devices do not open at the same coolant temperature. The opening temperatures are staggered with the back one opening at 194F, and the front one opening at 201F. The transmission cooler thermostat is located at the transmission cooler outlet connection and regulates the coolant temperature flow through the cooler. The opening temperature is 113F.

Starts to open (low temperature) 190-198F
Fully open (low temperature) 212F
Starts to open (high temperature) 198-203F
Fully open (high temperature) 217F

Powertrain Secondary Cooling

The secondary cooling system uses coolant flowing in a circuit separate from the primary engine cooling system. This system cools the fuel and the air charge entering the engine. A secondary engine-driven coolant pump provides for coolant flow. A secondary radiator is mounted in front of the primary engine cooling system radiator. A thermostat mounted on LH side of the secondary radiator, operates to regulate the temperature of the coolant flowing to the various components.

The coolant flows from the degas bottle to the coolant pump. The coolant pump delivers the coolant to the tank attached to the LH side of the radiator, via a hose and tube assembly.

The thermostat located the LH side of the radiator controls coolant flow to the CAC and the fuel cooler. When the thermostat is closed, coolant flows from the top tank on the LH side of the engine to the thermostat housing, and then out of the thermostat housing via a single hose. A "Y" connection allows the coolant to flow through separate hoses to the CAC and the fuel cooler. When the thermostat is opened the coolant entering the thermostat housing from the upper tank is blocked, and the coolant flows through the radiator before flowing to the CAC and the fuel cooler. The coolant flows from the CAC and the fuel cooler via separate hoses to a "Y" connection, and then via a single hose to the degas bottle.

Derate will occur when the engine coolant temperature is greater than 225F

EOT Derate will occur when the oil temperature is greater than 257F

FRT Derate will occur when the fuel temperature is greater than 176F

EGRTA Derate will occur when the recirculated exhaust gas temperature is greater than 1472F

Using the scan tool with the engine running, check and make sure the transmission is at normal operating temperature 196-216F.
G8orFord likes this.

- Michael
- If being an NCO was easy, we'd be called Officers.

2017 F350 Lariat DRW
- Click
for details

Sold 05OCT16 - 2006 F350 DRW - 175/Stock, UCF o-ringed heads, KC Stage 2 - Click
for details

Traded 01SEP18 '11 Ram 2500 Big Horn (Wife's), 6.7L Cummins - Click
for details
'13 XLR Hyperlite Toy Hauler 5er

Ford diesel documents

The Following User Says Thank You to Gadgetguru For This Useful Post:
jetjock15 (06-26-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode